Sign in to follow this  
Ulises

The Structure of Consciousness - Liminocentricity, Enantiodromia, and Personality

"consciousness might ultimately best be characterized as 'liminocentrically' structured - that is, structured like a series of chinese boxes, one within the other, with the innermost box indentical, paradoxically, to the outermost box."

"If one is to believe what 'string theory' in physics has to say, extremely large distances in the physical world may be LITERALLY identical to (i.e. indistinguishable from) extremely small distances. Physical reality may thus exhibit a fractal identity at its extremities, and turn out to be a liminocentric structure."

"Liminocentric structures also seem sometimes to manifest strange, paradoxical features - such as 'holographic' organization, in which the part appears to 'contain' the whole."

‎"The outer limit to this process is to bring 'everything' into attention, with nothing remaining in 'background awareness'. This would be commensurate to a realization of 'egolessness'..."

In earlier articles we have also shown how liminocentricity is [1] utilized as an explanatory device in music theory; [2] used in Indian myth to help us 'pull ourselves up by our bootstraps', according to Mary Doniger O'Flaherty; [3] appears as a metaphor for 'God' in the work of Plotinus; and [4] operates as a principle of organization in the mandala in general, and in the figures of the Enneagram and Dzogchen mandalas in particular.

We have also argued that participatory democracy is the form of SOCIAL organization that is closest to displaying a liminocentric structure."

http://tap3x.net/EMBTI/j6structures.html

Edited by Ulises

"If one is to believe what 'string theory' in physics has to say, extremely large distances in the physical world may be LITERALLY identical to (i.e. indistinguishable from) extremely small distances.

I have not accepted that theory yet. May never accept it.

Yes, my psychoanalytical experience supports this theory of life as a gigantic fractal, holographic matrix!

Here is a T that is made up of smaller Ts, each of which are made up of even smaller Ts. This arrangement is a fractal arrangement, as the parts are identical to the wholes that they make up. It is indeed what we might call 'fully' fractal, in that it is fractal at EVERY level of organization. Level one is fractal with respect to its level-two parts; and each level-two part is fractal with respect to its level-three parts.

When, like the figure immediately above, a structure is fractal with respect only to the highest and lowest levels, it is fractal at its two extremities and we may say that it thus resembles what we have been calling a 'liminocentric' structure. It is (relatively) 'indistinguishable' at its highest and lowest levels of organization.

From behind the scenes, our feeling states influence what items will be 'selected' and relevated into projected consciousness as objects of attention.

I hadn't heard of the term "liminocentric" before though - so, cool! B)

"consciousness might ultimately best be characterized as 'liminocentrically' structured - that is, structured like a series of chinese boxes, one within the other, with the innermost box indentical, paradoxically, to the outermost box."

"If one is to believe what 'string theory' in physics has to say, extremely large distances in the physical world may be LITERALLY identical to (i.e. indistinguishable from) extremely small distances. Physical reality may thus exhibit a fractal identity at its extremities, and turn out to be a liminocentric structure."

"Liminocentric structures also seem sometimes to manifest strange, paradoxical features - such as 'holographic' organization, in which the part appears to 'contain' the whole."

‎"The outer limit to this process is to bring 'everything' into attention, with nothing remaining in 'background awareness'. This would be commensurate to a realization of 'egolessness'..."

In earlier articles we have also shown how liminocentricity is [1] utilized as an explanatory device in music theory; [2] used in Indian myth to help us 'pull ourselves up by our bootstraps', according to Mary Doniger O'Flaherty; [3] appears as a metaphor for 'God' in the work of Plotinus; and [4] operates as a principle of organization in the mandala in general, and in the figures of the Enneagram and Dzogchen mandalas in particular.

We have also argued that participatory democracy is the form of SOCIAL organization that is closest to displaying a liminocentric structure."

http://tap3x.net/EMBTI/j6structures.html

This is awesome. Yin yang liniocentric!

For some reason the energetic patterns, not just the image of it as a doughnut as in the article, of a torus came to mind. Probably thinking of winpro.... :lol:

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

From the article:

"Experientially, what it means for consciousness to have such a structure is that one winds up in the same place whether one NARROWS the scope of attention to the maximum possible extent (by 'concentrating' awareness) or WIDENS the scope of attention to the maximum possible degree (thereby diffusing awareness). At both extremities one experiences a 'pure', 'undifferentiated', or 'objectless' state of awareness. These two extreme mental states are indentical and indistinguishable, phenomenologically speaking. While IN the objectless state of awareness, there is nothing to distinguish the state arrived at by an extreme concentration of attention from the one arrived at by an extreme expansion of attention."

This is something I've noted, and marveled at, for years. I always thought of it as: go totally towards yang, or towards yin, and I end up at the same place.

Sign in to follow this