Sign in to follow this  
star

Tao and Buddhism

Hello from a newcomer. I'm interested in the overlap between the Tao and Buddhist thought -- the two seem to have influenced each other quite a bit.

Hi star. The body of taoist teachings pertaining to self-refinement and the sciences of essence and life distilled from about the 11th century onward are a concentrated synthesis of buddhism, taoism and confucianism already.

Lifeforce also includes two valuable resources in his signature: Ancestor Lu and The Secret of the Golden Flower. Ancestor Lu's work on energetics, alchemy and psychological hygiene is legendary. "The Secret of the Golden Flower" is very highly recommended, but only the most recent volume translated by Thomas Cleary and published by Harper Collins. Read it and you will know why earlier versions are to be avoided.

Heuristics are the means and the arts of accomplishing what only you can find out by and for yourself. Spiritual refinement is no different.

The school of Complete Reality taoism is essentially the same as tsao-dong Chan (soto in Japanese). It is not on par with practice primarily emphasizing energetics.

It is preferable to do several years of research in all the traditions of Asia, not just the body disciplines specializing toward induction and energetics concentration.

Certainly do get a solid grounding in the different types of yoga, tai chi, etc., as they are preparatory for powerful meditation work without having to experience needless setbacks or other issues of malpractice, ego-driven ambitions and general impatience for tangible results.

Result oriented "practice" is most ineffective.

Just today I received a nasty little letter from one such tyro who I and others have warned against this kind of immature approach to self-refinement.

Trust your instincts, and take care, star.❤

Edited by deci belle

Hello from a newcomer. I'm interested in the overlap between the Tao and Buddhist thought -- the two seem to have influenced each other quite a bit.

If that was your conclusion, I think you haven't learn the distinction between the two religions yet... :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this