Marblehead

Taking Responsibility

It happened in the "Manifesting" thread that I made the post:

Yes, we should take responsibility for our own actions (and manifestations) but we cannot and should not even try to take responsibility for what anyone else manifests.

I will add though that how our actions and manifestations effect others is, in part, our responsibility too. This gets a little deep and I don't even know if I could speak well to it.

SereneBlue responded with:

This is beautiful Marble. I agree with you.

I, for one, would be interested in hearing you expand upon the second paragraph even if you couldn't speak well to it.

What caused this thought from me was thinking about those who are abused, especially children and women, and they acquire a guilty complex from thinking that it was something they had done wrong that caused the abuse. Kate mentioned this earlier in the thread.

Straight out I will say that it is the abuser's fault that there is abuse. The abuser has a psychological problem and they will use others for the purpose of releasing their inner conflicts.

With this in mind I made the statement, "I will add though ..."

In the case of an abuser, the abuser must take full responsibility for their actions.

However, taking responsibility for our actions and manifestations includes how these actions effect others as well. And we share the responsibility for the effect our actions have had.

Let's face it. Not everyone is a Taoist Sage or a Buddha or a true Christian and is able to just let things come and go without being effected by them. We all have our emotions (feelings) and sometimes we are easily hurt.

What I am pointing at involves that discussion recently regarding "intention vs. action". If we intend to cause others any form of pain then I will state freely that this is not the Way of Tao. However, if we caused someone pain without intention then we were simply operating in a faulty mode.

I suppose that Manitou could come in now and say something like, "If we held love firmly at our center would would always consider possible consequences of our action or words before we did anything." And this is a valid way of looking at it. However, in the real world we don't always have the time to do this analysis. We will, on occasion, error and unnecessarily cause others pain. We must take responsibility for this result, at least in part, because we caused the pain.

I welcome any and all to join in and help me explain what I am pointing at.

It's a great thread Mr MH.

I do agree with "if we caused someone pain without intention then we were simply operating in a faulty mode" and I'd be interested in looking at how this came about. Idea being, if we know causes then we can take steps to do otherwise. Or maybe that doesn't matter at all and one can go straight to 'full responsibility' - although I argued it wasn't foolproof in the other thread due to egoic tendencies.

So I'm going to have to go off and contemplate it some more.

However, in the real world we don't always have the time to do this analysis. We will, on occasion, error and unnecessarily cause others pain. We must take responsibility for this result, at least in part, because we caused the pain.

I think this is a good thread and I'd like to speak to this point.

It was relatively recently that I came to recognize the value in my life of cultivating love and compassion.

Not from a religious sense, not for attainment, but for my own health.

I have a very high stress job and deal with very unhealthy, unhappy (and often unpleasant) people daily.

I have a very hectic schedule and a few years ago would have said that I "don't have the time to do this" as you refer to.

I was wrong. It has nothing to do with time. It has to do with perspective and choice.

Taking responsibility for our actions that hurt others can occur after the fact or in the moment.

If I enter into each interaction with the simple thought - I am going to foster a loving and compassionate exchange - it can happen.

I can take a moment to smile warmly, introduce myself, sit down, say something kind or funny or in some way take a moment to make a connection. I can look at the person as myself and see that they are looking for the exact same things as me - security, respect, validation, understanding. I can offer my full attention and genuine interest for whatever time we are together. Little or no extra time is needed. In the long run it saves time.

At first it is inconsistent, awkward, and not always effective. With a little practice it becomes second nature and much more skillful. And not only does the other feel better, I benefit enormously. I am enriched by the experience and develop meaningful relationships where they didn't exist previously. And when I encounter people who are unresponsive, nasty, abusive - I know it is their baggage and their pain and I can let it go. It bounces off me or passes through me as if I'm not there and they are stuck with it but I'm not. It happened this morning - I walked away smiling and relaxed and the other came and went with their anger and frustration. You can't help or please everyone and eventually, with this approach, it's easy to tell the difference.

So I agree that taking responsibility is important and I prefer to cultivate a method for doing this in advance of any offense rather than in an attempt to do damage control. As you say, it doesn't always work but it's tougher to make amends than to be preemptive.

• Like 3

It happened in the "Manifesting" thread that I made the post:

"Yes, we should take responsibility for our own actions (and manifestations) but we cannot and should not even try to take responsibility for what anyone else manifests.

"I will add though that how our actions and manifestations effect others is, in part, our responsibility too. This gets a little deep and I don't even know if I could speak well to it."

SereneBlue responded with:

"This is beautiful Marble. I agree with you.

"I, for one, would be interested in hearing you expand upon the second paragraph even if you couldn't speak well to it."

What caused this thought from me was thinking about those who are abused, especially children and women, and they acquire a guilty complex from thinking that it was something they had done wrong that caused the abuse. Kate mentioned this earlier in the thread.

Straight out I will say that it is the abuser's fault that there is abuse. The abuser has a psychological problem and they will use others for the purpose of releasing their inner conflicts.

With this in mind I made the statement, "I will add though ..."

In the case of an abuser, the abuser must take full responsibility for their actions.

However, taking responsibility for our actions and manifestations includes how these actions effect others as well. And we share the responsibility for the effect our actions have had.

Let's face it. Not everyone is a Taoist Sage or a Buddha or a true Christian and is able to just let things come and go without being effected by them. We all have our emotions (feelings) and sometimes we are easily hurt.

What I am pointing at involves that discussion recently regarding "intention vs. action". If we intend to cause others any form of pain then I will state freely that this is not the Way of Tao. However, if we caused someone pain without intention then we were simply operating in a faulty mode.

I suppose that Manitou could come in now and say something like, "If we held love firmly at our center would would always consider possible consequences of our action or words before we did anything." And this is a valid way of looking at it. However, in the real world we don't always have the time to do this analysis. We will, on occasion, error and unnecessarily cause others pain. We must take responsibility for this result, at least in part, because we caused the pain.

Your statement "...and I don't even know if I could speak well to it." I entirely disagree with. :lol:

edit:

"... I can look at the person as myself and see that they are looking for the exact same things as me - security, respect, validation, understanding. I can offer my full attention and genuine interest for whatever time we are together."

VERY good. So many don't understand this.

Edited by Ya Mu

Hi Kate, Yes, we will try to keep the concept of ego out of this discussion because it always get in the way of clarity.

Steve! What a lovely post. Yes, preemptive responsibility is an excellent concept. In your case, working with people, I can see where that would be very helpful.

Thanks Ya Mu.

Excellent topic and explication, Marblehead. And Steve F., I love what you wrote.

I suppose that Manitou could come in now and say something like, "If we held love firmly at our center would would always consider possible consequences of our action or words before we did anything."

I actually think that Manitou would say: "If we held love firmly at our center we would spontaneously choose the path that considers the other."

I guess we'll have to wait and see. :)

Manitou would say 'We're All One'.

Marbles, I always wonder when you refer to the real world. Is this something separate from your philosophy?

Manitou would say 'We're All One'.

Marbles, I always wonder when you refer to the real world. Is this something separate from your philosophy?

Hehehe. No, we are not all one. True, we all are of the same source. (I had to say that as a prelude to answering your question of me.)

Ah!, the real world. Manifest reality. My philosophy, although primarily Taoism, must include the sciences. One item is the theory of the "Big Bang". Prior to the big bang, yes, everything was one - all was Tao, undifferentiated.

In the beginning of this beginning Chi, Wu, and Yo (energy, potential & the ten thousand things) became what it is. The ten thousand things represent the real world. Each has its own De, that is, it has its own set of capabilities and capacities.

You and I are separate representations of Dao. We each have our own De and therefore we each have our own capabilities and capacities. But we are of the same source - potential. I say this to prevent anyone from thinking that I am saying that Dao is a creating being of any form. We were not created by Dao - we are a representation of Dao.

Okay. Having said that I will follow up by saying that I am a materialistic person. That is the say, the material world is the real world as far as our interaction with any other aspect of "Yo" is concerned.

However, the "real world" is not all there is to living our life. We need to have goals in our life (even if it our goal to do nothing). In the attainment of these goals we should have our virtue well defined.

And where does this virtue come from? Well, it comes from whatever form of spirituality we have selected to be a part of (I just couldn't say "follow").

In Daoism, spirituality resides in the realm of "wu". Yes Dear, this is where we are all one. So I conduct myself toward you in the same manner I would wish for you to conduct yourself toward me. This is because as we are one if I cause harm to you I am causing harm to myself as well.

Now, let's face it, everyone is not a Daoist or a Buddhist or a practicing Christian. There is a lot of evil out there in the "real world". So, while we practice our spirituality internally and do our best to apply it to our "real world" there are time when we must simply face reality and understand that any given person may wish to do us harm.

Yes, it is easy to say, "I love you but I do not accept your destructive and harmful behavior." For me, anyone who is wishing to do me harm is beyond my capacity to love. I am sure you can say, "Well, I can." All I could say to that would be, "Good for you."

So yes, we are all one in that we all are of the same source but we are also indibvidual representations of the unlimitedness of Dao. Internally we seek a return to the source but while we are here we should enjoy ourselves in this materialistically "real world".

:)

What we're talking about here is the difference between knowing 'about' Taoism, or 'living a life as a sage would'. The choice is ours.

:)

What we're talking about here is the difference between knowing 'about' Taoism, or 'living a life as a sage would'. The choice is ours.

Who is talking about that?

I am not a sage. I have no idea how a sage would live. But I know how to live and utilize my knowledge of Taoism to guide me through this life.

I am pretty sure a sage would not have an extensive music collection such as I have nor would he have two complete stereo systems in his house.

A sage is a rare beast. Don't see them very often. The closest I have come during the past twenty years is Mother Teresa. I wouldn't want to live like she did.

Now, let's face it, everyone is not a Daoist or a Buddhist or a practicing Christian. There is a lot of evil out there in the "real world". So, while we practice our spirituality internally and do our best to apply it to our "real world" there are time when we must simply face reality and understand that any given person may wish to do us harm.

Yes, it is easy to say, "I love you but I do not accept your destructive and harmful behavior." For me, anyone who is wishing to do me harm is beyond my capacity to love. I am sure you can say, "Well, I can." All I could say to that would be, "Good for you."

So yes, we are all one in that we all are of the same source but we are also indibvidual representations of the unlimitedness of Dao. Internally we seek a return to the source but while we are here we should enjoy ourselves in this materialistically "real world".

But Marblehead, is it not true there is no duality, we should pretend everything is flowers, and we should just hang out in the void and forget this real world if we are to be spiritual? I read this somewhere.

HAHAHA

So far, no one who thinks there is no duality has been willing for me to drop them off on a certain street corner in Jackson, Miss on a Saturday night.

I look at evil as redeemably distorted instead of absolute and ignorance as edifyable.

Yes, we should enjoy ourselves here. It is a unique opportunity. If folks really understood how great a privilege it is to be here now...things would be different.

• Like 2

I am not a sage. I have no idea how a sage would live.

You have a great idea about how a sage would live. It's written all over the TTC that you just guided us through.

You have the sage within you already. You have just not been willing to go to the trouble of uncovering him. He's at the bottom of the manure pile within our character.

The hard thing is walking like we talk. Not carrying baseball bats.

And Michael - I would have been willing to go down to your intersection and let you drop me off. You did say that in the seminar, and it occurred to me later that I would indeed do that. When you walk in the Tao there is nothing to fear. We need to put our money where our mouth is. All this stuff is more than just words - it's real. It is Real Life. If we can't tie together "real life", or a nasty part of the city with the Reality of the Tao that we've come to know, then we're not walking our talk at all. We're just making a living.

But Marblehead, is it not true there is no duality, we should pretend everything is flowers, and we should just hang out in the void and forget this real world if we are to be spiritual? I read this somewhere.

HAHAHA

So far, no one who thinks there is no duality has been willing for me to drop them off on a certain street corner in Jackson, Miss on a Saturday night.

I look at evil as redeemably distorted instead of absolute and ignorance as edifyable.

Yes, we should enjoy ourselves here. It is a unique opportunity. If folks really understood how great a privilege it is to be here now...things would be different.

Yeah. Nice response. Ah!, duality. I always like to talk about that concept. If I don't think there are no dualities. The first moment I think there are dualities. I love flowers. I have many in the gardens in my front yard.

Hehehe. As far as I know, void does not exist in the manifest universe. No place to hang out. We all are stuck with having to live in the real world.

Never been to Jackson, Miss. but most big cities have those same street corners. One can witness the cruel side of life in those places.

Absolutes? Are there any at all? Yes, Dr. Wang, in his "Dynamic Tao" suggested that no matter how lost we become we can always return to the virtue of Tao.

Yep. I do try to enjoy my life as much as possible. Being an old man now I don't partake in many of the things I did when I was younger but still.

It is sad though that there are so many people on this planet who do not even get their basic needs satisfied. Hard for me to see where they would find much joy in living. But then it has been reported that many of those peaple actually consider themselves happy.

You have a great idea about how a sage would live. It's written all over the TTC that you just guided us through.

You have the sage within you already. You have just not been willing to go to the trouble of uncovering him. He's at the bottom of the manure pile within our character.

But I do walk my talk. Therefore you never hear me talking about idealism as if were actually attainable.

Yes, we all have the capacity to be a sage. Rare is the sage though because we are too busy living in the real world.

And Michael - I would have been willing to go down to your intersection and let you drop me off. You did say that in the seminar, and it occurred to me later that I would indeed do that. When you walk in the Tao there is nothing to fear. We need to put our money where our mouth is. All this stuff is more than just words - it's real. It is Real Life. If we can't tie together "real life", or a nasty part of the city with the Reality of the Tao that we've come to know, then we're not walking our talk at all. We're just making a living.

You are indeed either brave or stupid; I'll go for brave. When I did it I was stupid. Now that I am brave instead of stupid I have no desire to.

I had a student who thought everything was roses. He was ready to teach - he tells me. So I asked him to go with me to New Orleans and do a workshop and tell him he has one task only; to shield the class.

He never again talked to me after that. Yes, I was wrong to test him in New Orleans. I now give them another few years of practicing before I do that.

Tao's reality is that free will has induced some to go the opposite of harmony with Tao. We can pretend everything is roses if we want but that is not the way it is. We can pretend that the Earth is not screaming but that is not the way it is. Reality is difficult and easy at the same time. Difficult if we do not walk in harmony, the flow, and easy(er) if we do. Easier if we pretend, more difficult if we don't. Doesn't mean it does not take time & effort to see these things.

But to think that evil does not exist is plain outright not looking at what is in front of anyone. Yes, at some point this duality will cease to exist - humanity is not there yet. Tie it all in - sure. But no use walking around in la la land pretending things are not the way they are.

If you are saying that one cannot be truly aware, see the current reality for what it is and still be a good little Taoist then I guess you don't lock your doors at night, don't try to park in a lighted area, don't keep your money in the bank, do leave your wallet/purse in the car, etc. - don't need to pay attention to those things, right? Very brave indeed.

It is not about fear, fear is on the same level as guilt and other base emotions, it is about common sense, recognizing one's environment for what makes up that particular environment. The old Taoists (practicing Taoists - not book Taoists) revered nature and the natural way and were very big on recognizing harmony and disharmony in their environment; what we have going on around us is distorted and if one can't feel this then they choose to be closed to it and do not do anything to make themselves more aware.

We have to make a change if the Earth and humanity is going to survive. We definitely have a choice. We can pretend all is hunky dory or we can choose to assume responsibility. Everyone has a choice. Some of us do work on the as above so below level and other worlds, some don't know such levels exist, some work toward protecting on this level, some hang out and do nothing and some become distorted. All a choice.

• Like 1

Yeah. Nice response. Ah!, duality. I always like to talk about that concept. If I don't think there are no dualities. The first moment I think there are dualities. I love flowers. I have many in the gardens in my front yard.

Hehehe. As far as I know, void does not exist in the manifest universe. No place to hang out. We all are stuck with having to live in the real world.

Never been to Jackson, Miss. but most big cities have those same street corners. One can witness the cruel side of life in those places.

Absolutes? Are there any at all? Yes, Dr. Wang, in his "Dynamic Tao" suggested that no matter how lost we become we can always return to the virtue of Tao.

Yep. I do try to enjoy my life as much as possible. Being an old man now I don't partake in many of the things I did when I was younger but still.

It is sad though that there are so many people on this planet who do not even get their basic needs satisfied. Hard for me to see where they would find much joy in living. But then it has been reported that many of those peaple actually consider themselves happy.

...no matter how lost we become we can always return to the virtue of Tao.

So agree and this is what I was referring to.

then I guess you don't lock your doors at night, don't try to park in a lighted area, don't keep your money in the bank, do leave your wallet/purse in the car, etc. - don't need to pay attention to those things, right? Very brave indeed.

Interesting this. I don't lock my doors at night but I do all the other things.

I think that this is a game I play in my mind. My neighborhood is not one that attracts ill-willed people. I have presented myself to the neighborhood that I am a person who expects respect from my neighbors and offer the same in return.

Only once in the past twenty-five years have I had someone enter my house uninvited (he was drunk at the time and wanted a smoke) and I clamped on him like a pair of vise-grips and he never tried that again.

I refuse to live in fear but yet I take great effort to protect myself and what is mine (to care for).

Reality isn't pretty sometimes but if we try we can make it a little prettier in our own little place on the planet.

So agree and this is what I was referring to.

Yes, I know. I just wanted to take the scenic route to get there. Hehehe.

Interesting this. I don't lock my doors at night but I do all the other things.

I think that this is a game I play in my mind. My neighborhood is not one that attracts ill-willed people. I have presented myself to the neighborhood that I am a person who expects respect from my neighbors and offer the same in return.

Only once in the past twenty-five years have I had someone enter my house uninvited (he was drunk at the time and wanted a smoke) and I clamped on him like a pair of vise-grips and he never tried that again.

I refuse to live in fear but yet I take great effort to protect myself and what is mine (to care for).

Reality isn't pretty sometimes but if we try we can make it a little prettier in our own little place on the planet.

Yes, it isn't about fear. Fear is one of the baser emotions, just as bad as guilt. It's about common sense, our natural ability to utilize all of our senses in all situations. One good reason to practice neigong as it enhances all the natural senses. But I guess that practicing simple cognizance will do wonders.

I don't lock my doors either, as I am aware during sleep and don't really have to where I live. But in some places it makes perfectly good sense to do so, not out of fear, but a practical thing to do.

But I do walk my talk. Therefore you never hear me talking about idealism as if were actually attainable.

Yes, we all have the capacity to be a sage. Rare is the sage though because we are too busy living in the real world.

The Real World is just our collective Inner World playing out. If this concept can't be grasped, then the TTC is just a nice story. Why bother to go to the trouble of having a philosophy (and a damned good one at that) if we don't live it?

• Like 1

Yes, it isn't about fear. Fear is one of the baser emotions, just as bad as guilt. It's about common sense, our natural ability to utilize all of our senses in all situations. One good reason to practice neigong as it enhances all the natural senses. But I guess that practicing simple cognizance will do wonders.

I don't lock my doors either, as I am aware during sleep and don't really have to where I live. But in some places it makes perfectly good sense to do so, not out of fear, but a practical thing to do.

Okay. That's the second of my favorite concepts to talk about that you have mentioned. The first was dualities and now we have fear.

I agree. Fear is one of our baser emotions. It serves its purpose, especially when we are young and experimenting with life. But eventually we should become self-assured that reduces and maybe even eliminates the need for the fear instinct.

As you said, practicing (whatever) helps us get to that state/condition.

And I totally agree that awareness of our surroundings is so very important. Sometimes we can be totally spaced out, venturing into the Mystery, and have not a single worry in our life. Othertimes, especially when we are in the unknown, we need be very vigil.

This is called taking responsibility for our life. (Hehehe. Had to add that to let readers know that we are still talking about this concept.)

You are indeed either brave or stupid; I'll go for brave. When I did it I was stupid. Now that I am brave instead of stupid I have no desire to.

I had a student who thought everything was roses. He was ready to teach - he tells me. So I asked him to go with me to New Orleans and do a workshop and tell him he has one task only; to shield the class.

He never again talked to me after that. Yes, I was wrong to test him in New Orleans. I now give them another few years of practicing before I do that.

Tao's reality is that free will has induced some to go the opposite of harmony with Tao. We can pretend everything is roses if we want but that is not the way it is. We can pretend that the Earth is not screaming but that is not the way it is. Reality is difficult and easy at the same time. Difficult if we do not walk in harmony, the flow, and easy(er) if we do. Easier if we pretend, more difficult if we don't. Doesn't mean it does not take time & effort to see these things.

But to think that evil does not exist is plain outright not looking at what is in front of anyone. Yes, at some point this duality will cease to exist - humanity is not there yet. Tie it all in - sure. But no use walking around in la la land pretending things are not the way they are.

If you are saying that one cannot be truly aware, see the current reality for what it is and still be a good little Taoist then I guess you don't lock your doors at night, don't try to park in a lighted area, don't keep your money in the bank, do leave your wallet/purse in the car, etc. - don't need to pay attention to those things, right? Very brave indeed.

It is not about fear, fear is on the same level as guilt and other base emotions, it is about common sense, recognizing one's environment for what makes up that particular environment. The old Taoists (practicing Taoists - not book Taoists) revered nature and the natural way and were very big on recognizing harmony and disharmony in their environment; what we have going on around us is distorted and if one can't feel this then they choose to be closed to it and do not do anything to make themselves more aware.

We have to make a change if the Earth and humanity is going to survive. We definitely have a choice. We can pretend all is hunky dory or we can choose to assume responsibility. Everyone has a choice. Some of us do work on the as above so below level and other worlds, some don't know such levels exist, some work toward protecting on this level, some hang out and do nothing and some become distorted. All a choice.

Your allusion to seeing everything as roses isn't quite accurate. That would truly be stupid. I'm talking about something different. I'm talking about the love for everyone and everything we get down to when we've done the inner cultivation, that's all. What's your qigong good for? Being safe in the back yard? If it doesn't extend to Real Life, then it's pointless.

Being willing to go to a bad part of town, in this instance, wouldn't be either stupid or brave. It would be knowing that it doesn't really matter when we die; we are a current of consciousness that streams in-body or out. When we truly lose the fear of death (I wish I could say 100%, but I'm not there yet) and when we truly find out Who We Really Are. We Are the Manifester; somehow collectively, somehow connected. When we are in Awareness consciously, the world unfolds at our feet, regardless of where we are. You will discover this after the inner work has been done.

• Like 1

The Real World is just our collective Inner World playing out. If this concept can't be grasped, then the TTC is just a nice story. Why bother to go to the trouble of having a philosophy (and a damned good one at that) if we don't live it?

Dear Heart, Your Taoism has become polluted with Buddhist (and whatever else) idealism. No, the real world is the external, the Manifest. What you are talking about is the Mystery - the state of 'wu'.

Both Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu were 'realists', not idealists. Taoism, the philosophy, is the one belief system that is closer to physical reality than any other as far as I have been able to determine.

However, if you view Taoism as teaching idealism and it helps you believing this way then it is good. I am not trying to tell you what or how to believe, all I am saying is that Taoism is an excellent guide to living life in the 'real world' and if one does not use it for this purpose then one is missing the most important aspect of Taoism.

There are no pies in the sky. There are no clouds we casn float around on. Gravity keeps us fixed to the 'real world'. And there are a lot of nasties on this planet. Awareness is essential.

• Like 1

Okay. That's the second of my favorite concepts to talk about that you have mentioned. The first was dualities and now we have fear.

I agree. Fear is one of our baser emotions. It serves its purpose, especially when we are young and experimenting with life. But eventually we should become self-assured that reduces and maybe even eliminates the need for the fear instinct.

As you said, practicing (whatever) helps us get to that state/condition.

And I totally agree that awareness of our surroundings is so very important. Sometimes we can be totally spaced out, venturing into the Mystery, and have not a single worry in our life. Othertimes, especially when we are in the unknown, we need be very vigil.

This is called taking responsibility for our life. (Hehehe. Had to add that to let readers know that we are still talking about this concept.)

This is called taking responsibility for our life.

I hope you don't mind that I put this in BOLD. So many do not understand this simple thing.