InfinityTruth

please do something about the ridiculous amount of spam!

I'm so sick of seeing movie downloads, and commercials for buying things on this site. It is really ruining this site. Anyway, thank you.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by InfinityTruth

I mean isn't it all just in the lobby?

Not to say that spam isn't annoying, but it's not like it's disrupting any of the major discussion areas. Isn't that why we had that board in the first place? Leave a post and then move on, prove you aren't a spam bot?

The system works! :D

I am deleting 10/12 a day and I know Mal and others are too. We are being targeted at the moment and some of the forum tools to prevent this don't work as well as they should.

Please be patient it tends to come in phases and should soon die down.

really...? So I'm the only one annoyed by it? Okie Doke. :wacko:

Yes, it is annoying. I report it whenever I see one where I think it might be spam and let the mods take care of it.

We can help them out by reporting it whenever we suspect that it is spam.

Yes, it is annoying. I report it whenever I see one where I think it might be spam and let the mods take care of it.

We can help them out by reporting it whenever we suspect that it is spam.

This is the only current thread on the 'latest' board that is not spam. I find that a bit alarming.lol.

nevermind, there's only two right now. It was worse earlier.

Edited by InfinityTruth

I am deleting 10/12 a day and I know Mal and others are too. We are being targeted at the moment and some of the forum tools to prevent this don't work as well as they should.

Please be patient it tends to come in phases and should soon die down.

You need the 6 P's of life my friend!

Prior

Planning

Prevents

Piss

Poor

Performance

(I got that from my hilarious/crazy uncle) :lol:

You need the 6 P's of life my friend!

Prior

Planning

Prevents

Piss

Poor

Performance

(I got that from my hilarious/crazy uncle) :lol:

Well thanks! :lol:

Mods have limited access to the high level stuff though.

Don't worry it's much more annoying to have to go in and delete the threads :lol:

and the reports do help as they give us a "heads up" via email when we are not on-site, thank you.

Don't worry it's much more annoying to have to go in and delete the threads :lol:

and the reports do help as they give us a "heads up" via email when we are not on-site, thank you.

Just log on. Every time I log on I see one. Does the site have an anti spam robot?

Well thanks! :lol:

Mods have limited access to the high level stuff though.

Did I mention he lives on an island that you can only get to by boat? :D

from Sean

date Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 3:21 PM

subject Re: Spam attack

hey, i am looking into fixing the broken ban ip filter. i wrote the developers to help me.

Ha ha oh wow, I give up, spammers, you win this battle. It must some fundamental security flaw, lack of captcha, or better spammers? besides the crap selling and jumbled text I chanced upon one selling fake IDs and passports, didn't seem like random electronic spam but someone doing it. That would be more than inconvenient perhaps?

I have no way of knowing whether a post was already reported or not, and it takes long for the report box to come and go. No more convenient updates I guess, instead will receive spam in its place.

:rolleyes:

~~~ TheTaoBums Moderation Team ~~~

I have no way of knowing whether a post was already reported or not, ..

If a post has been reported then the red exclamation mark post_alert_1.png shows right next to the 'report' button report.png. Once a moderator bans the person who posted the spam, we then delete the spam-post.

~~~ Mod Squad out ~~~

although I'm pretty sure that only moderators get to see our nice little reported post icons :ninja:

The spam is a huge automated onslaught. Like the battle to keep it out of you own inbox when it's emails, or to stop people cold calling your mobile phone trying to sell you something, its just another (fun) part of hosting a web page.

About all that can be done is to report any that you see, and don't click on any links they provide.

(meanwhile we will keep deleting it, banning the IP's that it comes from, and talking to the software provider about updated protection options)

although I'm pretty sure that only moderators get to see our nice little reported post icons :ninja:

The spam is a huge automated onslaught. Like the battle to keep it out of you own inbox when it's emails, or to stop people cold calling your mobile phone trying to sell you something, its just another (fun) part of hosting a web page.

About all that can be done is to report any that you see, and don't click on any links they provide.

(meanwhile we will keep deleting it, banning the IP's that it comes from, and talking to the software provider about updated protection options)

I reported this recent spam as a test but did not see that red exclamation mark so perhaps it is like Mal said that it only shows for moderators.

Thanks Mal for the information, yes this has been a "fun" and educational experience for me.

Mod Squad

I'm sorry if my post sounded whiny and naggy. I hope my feedback was useful in some way. The spam issue doesn't affect me as much as it affects the moderators and site owner, especially in case of illegal advertising. The updates isn't that much of an issue, sorry about that. :)

Edited by Desert Eagle