Birch

"Manifesting"

I've seen this term 'manifesting' all over the place. I don't understand it (very well, if at all). So I thought I'd ask here.

Manitou, I have some negative ideas about it, especially if related to notions of blame/responsibility for unwanted circumstances/conditions. Classic example, the person in the other thread with the ovarian problem who was met by a bunch of pretty awful-sounding doctors...You responded to ask the question 'Why am I manifesting this?'

Anyway, you seem to use the idea a lot. What's your understanding of it? Is it different from 'karma'? What about cause/effect?

What about other people?

What are the misuses of the term? That sort of thing.

Thank you!

I've seen this term 'manifesting' all over the place. I don't understand it (very well, if at all). So I thought I'd ask here.

Manitou, I have some negative ideas about it, especially if related to notions of blame/responsibility for unwanted circumstances/conditions. Classic example, the person in the other thread with the ovarian problem who was met by a bunch of pretty awful-sounding doctors...You responded to ask the question 'Why am I manifesting this?'

Anyway, you seem to use the idea a lot. What's your understanding of it? Is it different from 'karma'? What about cause/effect?

What about other people?

What are the misuses of the term? That sort of thing.

Thank you!

Here's my understanding in a nutshell: everything we manifest in this life is supported by our energy.

It is not a question of blame (I do understand how it could be misconstrued as such).

And that energy is not necessarily conscious on our part; it can be at the sub- or non-conscious level.

In my experience, many karmic issues exist at the non-conscsious level in our spiritual programming.

Over time, human beings accumulate energetic weaknesses. Eventually those weaknesses can manifest as illness or disease.

The problem with most doctors is they don't even acknowledge the non-physical sources of illness and disease, but this is changing.

Excellent questions Kate!

I may have something to say but will wait for Manitou to respond first.

Why??

:lol:

Why??

Hehehe.

'Cause.

(Afterall. it is Manitou who uses that worded concept. I use the word "Manifest" all the time but my usage, while similar, is normally pointing at something else.)

Manitou!!! Where are you?!?!?!?

The karma (activity) of a tree seed is to manifest as a tree.

The karma of a chicken egg is to manifest as a chicken.

The karma (activity) of a human being is multifarious, and we can manipulate our manifestation, or our activity with a wider sense of choice.

Mind uses the body to manifest thought into the 3 dimensional universe through language symbols.

Mind uses body?

What gives with the samksaras then?

Sometimes I feel like my body is using me :-)

Anyway. it's interesting. Please dogoon

Mind uses body?

What gives with the samksaras then?

Anyway. it's interesting. Please dogoon

Samskaras (sanskrit word) are impressions in the mind from ones history of experience and interpretation, based upon ones experience and interpretation add infinitum, no beginning, no starting point to blame for any of it.

So, mind is influenced by it's environment, both outer and inner which are inter-dependent. That entire history of influence has manifested this particular set of words to function as communication for the sake of clarifying the meaning of manifestation.

We are all the manifestations of the cosmos, as parts of the cosmos. :D

Yes, your body fields impressions through the senses that are interpreted through the apparatus of perception, which is a conditioned phenomena without self.

You are a bundle of conditions determined by DNA and genetics as well as environment as previous experience and the interpretation of that experience as fielded through the body. If your energy has given more time towards pursuing the impulses of your 5 senses over contemplation of there nature, you are more likely to be at the mercy of the impressions arising through your bodies 5 gross senses.

Yogi's aren't as controlled by their body. They are more like the driver of a carriage (mind) that has control over the 5 horses pulling it (senses).

Edited by Vajrahridaya

Vajra,

Can you give an example or two?

If the examples as manifested by the cosmos through me as one of it's manifestations aren't good enough... I'll manifest some more. :huh::lol:

If the examples as manifested by the cosmos through me as one of it's manifestations aren't good enough... I'll manifest some more. :huh::lol:

Maybe you could even reify yourself?

(Hehehe. Sorry. I couldn't help myself. Actually, the devil made me do that.)

angel-devil-smiley.jpg

Another manifested symbol presenting the concept of Yin/Yang through a contemporary medium of expression/manifestation... as an emoticon!

Edited by Vajrahridaya

Yep. Oftentimes representing ego (yellow) and conscience (blue).

hmmm. Ok. :) Manifesting some particular meaning there.

Edited by Vajrahridaya

hmmm. Ok. :) Manifesting some particular meaning there.

I will let that ride for the moment. Perhaps we will slide into that discussion again later. Still waiting for Manitou to express her understanding about manifesting.

Manifesting Manitou!

Vajra, I don't understand your answer. You just mean that you're a manifestation? I was trying to understand what you meant by the "language symbols" part.

Manifesting Manitou!

Vajra, I don't understand your answer. You just mean that you're a manifestation? I was trying to understand what you meant by the "language symbols" part.

The language symbols are attempts at manifesting reflections of experience or understandings of experience for the sake of communicating and ideally manifesting the same understanding in someone else.

Perhaps manifesting because of the realization that there's no self behind desires and intentions that is truly directing this life, just an interplay of causes and conditions?

I haven't realize no self yet, I wouldn't know but it feels good to post this and have people think I'm smart when they agree with me.

• Like 1

Perhaps manifesting because of the realization that there's no self behind desires and intentions that is truly directing this life, just an interplay of causes and conditions?

I haven't realize no self yet, I wouldn't know but it feels good to post this and have people think I'm smart when they agree with me.

:lol: you're fun!

You have succeeded in manifesting a chuckle in me! :lol:

I don't know if the use of the word 'manifesting' was intended in this way this time but it is a popular term now because of the whole new age law of attraction stuff, but the issue of blame implied within that theory can be very harmful to people, for example Ken Wilber documents how when his wife got cancer she had to deal with lots of new age people telling her how she needs to take responsibility for attracting it and manifesting it but in the end that whole approach just caused her more pain and suffering before she died. Which is why I think that whole law of attraction stuff needs to be understood from a wider context and spiritual understanding of things like emptiness and a wider compassionate understanding, otherwise it can easily cause problems like guilt and blame, which is the problem of taking one spiritual law out of the context of wider teachings and emphasising it above others as it can cause more problems than it solves.

DOH!

You said the r-word in a thread manifested by me and co-manifested by VJ and Center and Jetsun and Clarity. I might have to 'unthink' that. :ninja:

And Mr Cow and Mahberry.

Edited to add co-manifesters ;)

Here's my understanding in a nutshell: everything we manifest in this life is supported by our energy.

It is not a question of blame (I do understand how it could be misconstrued as such).

And that energy is not necessarily conscious on our part; it can be at the sub- or non-conscious level.

In my experience, many karmic issues exist at the non-conscsious level in our spiritual programming.

Over time, human beings accumulate energetic weaknesses. Eventually those weaknesses can manifest as illness or disease.

The problem with most doctors is they don't even acknowledge the non-physical sources of illness and disease, but this is changing.

"spiritual programming."

Can you explain this???

I don't know if the use of the word 'manifesting' was intended in this way this time but it is a popular term now because of the whole new age law of attraction stuff, but the issue of blame implied within that theory can be very harmful to people, for example Ken Wilber documents how when his wife got cancer she had to deal with lots of new age people telling her how she needs to take responsibility for attracting it and manifesting it but in the end that whole approach just caused her more pain and suffering before she died. Which is why I think that whole law of attraction stuff needs to be understood from a wider context and spiritual understanding of things like emptiness and a wider compassionate understanding, otherwise it can easily cause problems like guilt and blame, which is the problem of taking one spiritual law out of the context of wider teachings and emphasising it above others as it can cause more problems than it solves.

You make a good point here.

I use the term "manifesting" as synonymous with "creation" and speak of it from a slightly different viewpoint. Yes, it is quite possible that someone "manifests" or creates any particular thing, even illness, as a lesson during life; something they need to learn in this life. Or, as usually is the case, as a vehicle to change life direction. I absolutely know that I have personally done this very thing. But it is also possible any particular illness is simply a result of environment, lifestyle, or genetics. So I too disagree with the new age view that every illness is creating by the individual due to some nonsensical psychobabble reason.

• Like 2