lifeforce

Cutivating The Way

hsin hsin ming.pdf

The Dao in Ch'an clothing.

Utterly profound and brilliant.

Read it, contemplate it, meditate on it.

All attachments to your belief system will float away like clouds in the sky.

hsin hsin ming.pdf

The Dao in Ch'an clothing.

Utterly profound and brilliant.

Read it, contemplate it, meditate on it.

All attachments to your belief system will float away like clouds in the sky.

I love this!

Here's a translation by Jos Slabbert, with commentary:

http://www.taoism.net/theway/faith.htm

(Scroll down that page for the translation w/o commentary.)

Thanks cheya, I enjoyed reading the commentary to the slightly different translation than the one I presented.

I may try to give my own interpretation in the near future.

As Jos Slabbert says it is a piece of writing in which it's message is to be lived, as well as read and studied.

I believe that this is a very important text for cultivators of the Dao and of the Dharma.

I can't believe there's only been 1 reply so far.

Maybe the folks here are more interested in slanging matches and the acquisition of super powers and such like.

Such a shame.

What an outstanding topic. Cultivation. Not something everyone wants to hear.

One reason you may not be getting a lot of responses is because we just finished the Nei-Yeh (Inner Cultivation) up in the book study. Also, there is much mention of cultivation within the TTC studies. Haven't seen you around those boards! Please join us...

There are several things in the OP that really grab me...

1 - Do not search for the truth, only cease to cherish opinions. (Our own and others!)

2 - Distinctions arise from the clinging needs of the ignorant.

In the further posted article, "You have to live it; There is no shortcut" jumped out at me.

Awesome stuff. Any sort of judgment at all eliminates 50% of our options. If we take a stance that we disapprove of something (and particularly if we've stated our opinion to others), then we 'have' to act out in a predisposed way. If we choose instead to not make judgments, then our ego leaves us alone and we have 100% of options and reactions at our disposal. This is complete freedom.

信心銘 is an absolutely wonderful poem.

I've been sitting with it for a long time and never get tired of it.

Being a student of Tai Ji Quan, I have gotten a lot of insight into my practice from this work and you can see how it's wisdom pervades the Tai Ji classics.

I think this would make a great topic in the Dao De Jing subforum for serious study but we could also do it here in the general pop.

The thing that I think I am most fond of is the way it seems to reflect the confluence of Buddhist and Daoist "thought" leading to the evolution of Chan/Zen.

Perhaps my favorite excerpt is:

Words! Words!

The Way is beyond language,

for in it there is no yesterday, no tomorrow, no today.

.... but there I go showing an attachment to preferences!!! :lol:

PS Great avatar lifeforce - that's a valuable book!