Sign in to follow this  
Immortal4life

The Lost Civlization of Atlantis

Ancient Mysteries - Atlantis, the Lost Civilization

As I have read threads and posts on the internet, and as I have interacted with and talked to people, whenever history is brought up, there is one subject that people consistently are interested in and recommend researching.....the subject of Atlantis.

Here are some good resources about the lost civilization of Atlantis. 2 professional documentaries. The first is from the famous "In Search of...." series, and the second is from the History channel. Coincidently, both documentaries are narrated by Leonard Nimoy.

In Search of Atlantis

YouTube - In Search Of... Atlantis (Part 1 of 3) Nimoy

YouTube - In Search Of... Atlantis (Part 2 of 3) Nimoy

YouTube - In Search Of... Atlantis (Part 3 of 3) Nimoy

History Channel, Ancient Mysteries - Atlantis, the Lost Civilization

I missed it, what channel was it on?

Dah - - Damn, I don't remember. That was a long time ago. Hehehe. My memory is about as short as some other part of my body.

Likely the Science Channel.

Their conclusion was that Atlantis was almost certainly the Minoians, the civilization being destroyed by the Santorini volcanic eruption.

That's one theory. However, as the documentaries in the OP point out there are major problems with that theory. While some things about the Minoans could fit with Plato's description of Atlantis, other things about them contradict Plato's account. For example, the Minoans did not exist outside the pillars of Hercules and they did not exist 9000 years before Plato's time.

Edited by Immortal4life

I'm skeptical of some of the claims in Theosophy that Atlantis/Lemuria extended back MILLIONS of years, but I am highly interested in the idea that there was a world spanning culture before the last Ice Age, along with some areas of the earth that have risen and fallen.

I'm not sure how the Annunaki/Giants would fit in there, but the idea that animals and plants, humans included used to grow larger due to a heavier, more oxygen rich atmosphere does sound at least somewhat plausable.

Edited by Enishi

That's one theory. However, as the documentaries in the OP point out there are major problems with that theory. For example, the Minoans did not exist outside the pillars of Hercules and they did not exist 9000 years before Plato's time.

Yep. But then maybe Plato just added a lot to the story that he had heard from someone else.

But I wouldn't buy anything that suggested that it was anywhere beyond the pillars of Hercules because there is no evidence that any Med civilization travelled beyond the pillars (to my knowledge).

Yep. But then maybe Plato just added a lot to the story that he had heard from someone else.

While that is very possible, in order to accept the Minoan theory, we have to then assume we know the truth and assume that we know what Plato really meant better than he did. Not only must we claim to know what Plato was wrong about, but we have to decide we know what was actually correct.

But I wouldn't buy anything that suggested that it was anywhere beyond the pillars of Hercules because there is no evidence that any Med civilization travelled beyond the pillars (to my knowledge).

In that case the logical thing to consider is that Atlantis wasn't strictly a Mediteranean culture.

Edited by Immortal4life

While that is very possible, in order to accept the Minoan theory, we have to then assume we know the truth and assume that we know what Plato really meant better than he did. Not only must we claim to know what Plato was wrong about, but we have to decide we know what was actually correct.

In that case the logical thing to consider is that Atlantis wasn't strictly a Mediteranean culture.

Hehehe. You did good. Unlimited possibilities.

But then the mention by Plato might have been totally made up and there never was an Atlantis.

Yes, I am still a skeptic. Hehehe.

That's another theory. If we are going to speculate on what parts of the story are true and what parts Plato embelished, taking that thinking another step, one could speculate the whole story was fictional.

To me though, the story is too detailed to be entirely fictional, and Plato himself insisted it was true.

Edited by Immortal4life

That's another theory. If we are going to speculate on what parts of the story are true and what parts Plato embelished, taking that thinking another step, one could speculate the whole story was fictional.

To me though, the story is too detailed to be entirely fictional, and Plato himself insisted it was true.

Hehehe. That is why I will stick with the Minoians. kinda' like believing that an advanced civilization really did exist. Doesn't really matter but it is still consistent with my belief that humankind can live peacefully with one-another and still make great advances in technology.

But then, I believe in the existence of the pegacorn so there you go.

Sign in to follow this