mewtwo

the most powerful thing water or an idea?

what would you say is the more powerfull of the two water or an idea?

I vote idea cause whole wars have been fought over something so trivial as an idea of who is right relgion wise.

I vote idea cause whole wars have been fought over something so trivial as an idea of who is right relgion wise.

I will vote for water because numerous wars have been fought over the rights to it but yet water continues doing what water does regardless of all efforts of man and his ideas.

• Like 2

Wow!

Great Idea for a post!

I say it is the embodiment of the IDEA that WATER represents

within the context of human thought and civilization.

Throughout history there have always been references

to flowing as a means of mastering any discipline.

Flowing is a WATER based reference.

Taoism is greatly based on just such an IDEA.

I would theorize that the IDEA of WATER within

the mind, creates the seed to fight against being

controlled by both religious or societal means.

Interesting ....

Wow!

Great Idea for a post!

I say it is the embodiment of the IDEA that WATER represents

within the context of human thought and civilization.

Throughout history there have always been references

to flowing as a means of mastering any discipline.

Flowing is a WATER based reference.

Taoism is greatly based on just such an IDEA.

I would theorize that the IDEA of WATER within

the mind, creates the seed to fight against being

controlled by both religious or societal means.

Interesting ....

Interesting indeed.

And besides, without water man dies; no more ideas. But water existed before man came on the scene and it will exist after we all have departed.

Hmnnn Water or idea?

Its clear to me..or..is the most powerful thing.

Without the or we'd just be bags of water filled with ideas :blink:<_<

Hmnnn Water or idea?

Its clear to me..or..is the most powerful thing.

Without the or we'd just be bags of water filled with ideas :blink:<_<

Lol my biology teacher would say that biologicaly speaking you are just a old dirty watter filled bag.

I will vote for water because numerous wars have been fought over the rights to it but yet water continues doing what water does regardless of all efforts of man and his ideas.

Of course ideas keep idea-ing no matter what people do, just like water keeps watering.

Water made the Grand Canyon!

As for Ideas:

There's nothing you can say that hasn't already been said.

There's nothing you can know that isn't known.

Nothing you can see that isn't shown.

Nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be.

It's easy.

:D

Edited by Adishakti
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum Adishakti,

Water made the Grand Canyon!

As for Ideas:

There's nothing you can say that hasn't already been said.

There is nothing you can say that has already been said. Even if you repeat the same saying twice, the second recital will not be perfectly identical to the first.

There's nothing you can know that isn't known.

Everything I know is not known by any mind outside of my own. At best you can know similar things, but never exactly the same things unless you become me, but then you are me and not something else, so once again, only I know what I know.

Nothing you can see that isn't shown.

Who is showing? I am the blind man seeing rainbows and I am the deaf man hearing the music.

Nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be.

I am wherever I mean to be. I type this post because I mean to type it.

It's easy.

:D

Yes, it is. :)

Yes, it is. :)

But you just complicated it. :) I like your response, goldisheavy.

I also like this quote:

We're trapped in linguistic constructs.. all that is is metaphor said R. A . Wilson

You?

Sometimes it occurs to me that water is a halfway point between solid matter and etherial air. I think the question of which is more powerful is relative, depending on whose doing the speaking. If we can identify with the idea that we manifest from the inside to the outside, as the earth does, then the flame of existence is contained within us, just as the fire is at the core of the earth, a break-off from the sun perhaps. In that case, water developed to the outside of earth for the most part, which is part of the cycle of vapor, clouds, rain, weather.

But perhaps the Big Bang, still going on today apparently, was the original Idea. Water is one of the Idea's thoughts being played out. Relatively speaking, to us humans for survival, it might appear that water is the more important; it certainly is a more imminent need for us for absolute survival. But without the Idea, water would be nowhere to be found.

It's a bit of a chicken and egg thing, it seems.

• Like 1

But you just complicated it. :) I like your response, goldisheavy.

I also like this quote:

We're trapped in linguistic constructs.. all that is is metaphor said R. A . Wilson

You?

I think what is simple is relative. To me what I said is simpler than what you are saying, even if only a tiny bit simpler. This is one of the reasons I also have a problem with the idea of Occam's razor. The idea behind Occam's razor is that everyone has the same intuition about what is the simplest and most elegant. I don't believe that's the case.

As for the linguistic constructs, I believe whether we are trapped by them or liberated by them depends on how we relate to these constructs and how we use them.

If you ask this question as a impulse for philosophical play that can lead to insight, along the lines of your second paragraph, then I guess it's a good question. But if you intend to put more inquiry into the question, then I ask: What do you mean by "powerful" In relation to what? And how do you measure it? (Not even comparing apples and oranges here, because those are both fruit. ;)) What do you mean by "water"? What forms of it? What do you mean by "idea"? In what context?

It's all relative. And not only relative to something specific you might have in mind, but relative to everything.

Edited by Hardyg