zerostao

qigong empowerment

I hasz it:-)

Probably good time to go read it again (my spontaneous seems to have been getting less effective) :-)

This reminds me of the old form/no form debate. I think some forms you just rarely think of but they might sometimes be a good idea to balance things out. I guess it depends on what's in play/on the way at any given point in time. I also wonder if you can 'lose' forms through no-use...

I hasz it:-)

Probably good time to go read it again (my spontaneous seems to have been getting less effective) :-)

This reminds me of the old form/no form debate. I think some forms you just rarely think of but they might sometimes be a good idea to balance things out. I guess it depends on what's in play/on the way at any given point in time. I also wonder if you can 'lose' forms through no-use...

in my experience i can lose some forms when i quit playing them. (maybe not all)

so, you like this book?

I will go get it from the closet right now:-)

Yes, yes I do :-) It pretty much has all the stuff we go on about in here in it. Include some 'corrective methods' which are useful and which other books don't.

I don't know if there is enough 'caution' included in it. But we keep talking about that here too. I guess I'd get the book and hang here (or 'get a teacher')

I can't vouch for either 'lineage' or anything else about the authors. Or even whether there might be other/better techniques. But I'm very glad I have it. I'm not a OBE fan, nor a qi-emitting wizard (to my knowledge...), nor a MA so my appraisal is probably not enough if you want that review.

So I guess there's my 2 cts :-)

I took classes with master S.Y. Liang. In class, he teaches medical qigong very close to the book. That includes the section on emitting and absorbing qi (shaolin qigong)which I can recommend so that you feel you can do it.

For the daoist qigong, he teaches a moving form that is not in the book. You can learn it in class only. The form is good and follows all your meridians/channels pretty nicely.

In class he also teaches 7 stars (Big Dipper) qigong, a powerful dissolving technic. He only mentions this form in the book.

THe book itself is a very good and balanced source of information and practice that can lead you to a certain level of achievement even without a teacher. IMO.

idquest,

quite a privilege to be able to study with S Y Liang.

maybe i will wander up that way, one day.

thank you for sharing your view.

edit> my cuz brought the book over yesterday :D

it certainly does not disappoint. imo there are

single pages(many) contained that would be worth the price of the book.

Edited by zerostao

is there any comparison that can be made between-

The Root of Chinese Qigong and Qigong Empowerment?

I haven't read The Root of Chinese Qigong. I did read Embrionic Breathing. THe theory was great there. But I couldn't use it for the practice because I was confused as to how and what to do.

Q. Empowerment has clear instructions on certain qigong forms and meditations, easy to follow. The sections of medical qigong, absorbing and emitting qi, and golden light meditation are basically identical to what S Y Liang teaches in class. Possibly Buddist qigong is close as well, I just didn't take a class on that.

There was a time I wanted to buy Jwing-Ming Yang's Small Circulation book. Then I read a preface where he writes that he received training on taiji in Taiwan but his teacher was reluctant to train him on daoist qigong (or so I understood). And then JM Yang left to the USA at the age of 19 yo. So I was wondering on how much of traditional training he actually received from teachers. He certainly has done a lot of research though.

I liked that one too (it's in my other closet ;-))

I think that one is more 'practical' and simpler to understand than the other one and there are some "interesting" questions in it. By all rights Mal, you should be a jing beast because you live in the Southern Hemisphere :blink::lol:

z, give me 3 reasons to get this book. :) another bum recommeded the book to me. i feel there might be a...calling from the universe on this one.

well R_V,

the first chapter starts off with how to heal emphyasema as it is a nice medical qigong chapter

alot of detailed info simply explained. great illustrations..

chapter 2 is taoist gigong , including golden light qigong, how to deal with spirits etc

chp 3 is buddhist qigong including the 9 hand seals for healing,energy etc

chp 4 is how to emit and absorb qi, including how to emit and absorb the same qi at the same time.

thru objects, thru people from sun moon trees flowers bushes etc

how to share /exchange energy/qi with others ,including groups of folks, sending qi thru multiple folks...

chp 5 martial qigong ,hard qigong, steel fingers, qigong for super strength,

many acupuncture charts and i didnt even mention the better stuff how to see auras and it works etc etc

also today i showed it to a 30 year tai chi player and he told a 45 year shaolin/internal master that they

need this book

is that 3??

edit>is also has a section for corrections, i doubt i will need it but its there

Edited by zerostao

Hi R_V,

I know what you are saying with you being called by the universe. But at the same time, I have experienced soo many times that this call of universe was just a delusion of mine:o))

So if you haven't done it yet, just have a look at the table of content and first pages of the book at amazon.com and take the time to ponder over them.

Of course I can't say for yourself what benefit you could receive from this book but given that you are already into SM qigong practice, I am not sure this book would really make a difference.

This is not to disregard at all Zerostao's enthusiasm or idquest's experience with GM SYL but..you know..unless you are very interested in the actual practice of part 2 of daoist qigong section and in actual practice of the buddhist qigong section; this book will surely join others on the bookshelves and receive their quota of dust :lol:

bubbles

Rainbow_Vein:

I realize my message looks like I am patronizing :( . I am sorry for that, I really respect your freedom. :)

I have _qigong empowerment_ it is a good book. I think that it would be useful to people with no prior experience/knowledge of qigong, and that a small part of it would be useful to someone who is already engaged in some structured practice. Hence my comment.

Blessings

I liked that one too (it's in my other closet ;-))

I think that one is more 'practical' and simpler to understand than the other one and there are some "interesting" questions in it. By all rights Mal, you should be a jing beast because you live in the Southern Hemisphere :blink::lol:

-K- your review was right on. thank you sister :D

I think that one is more 'practical' and simpler to understand than the other one

yeah, so straight forward and it is a volume that one can refer to over and over again for all your energy needs.

i also like how he differentiates between medical qigong and healing qigong :D

Mal, are you a jing beast?! jing gong? :rolleyes:

I'm a hairy beast, does that count :lol:

I tend to prefer "less practical; more interesting" these days so perhaps I should hunt down that southern hemisphere info :)

I'm a hairy beast, does that count :lol:

I tend to prefer "less practical; more interesting" these days so perhaps I should hunt down that southern hemisphere info :)

Well I think it might!

The author raises some ideas about the Earth's magnetic field and local human adaptations to it.

Naively, it could make sense but I found it a bit of a slippery slope with this idea that Northern Hemisphere folks are intellectual while the Southerners are more concerned with getting laid. I've heard stuff like that before...

i should be doing the "absorbing qi from the moon" qigong tonight.

it suggests 20-30 minutes.

it says it can be done 3 days b4 and after the full moon. but i have heard YJM say

that the 2 days b4 the full moon is the time to do it. either way friday night is a go. unless it storms.

• Like 1

"The Root..." is introductory but remains a viable reference well into a person's ability to manipulate chi. "Qigong Empowerment" is for the intermediate (3-4 years) and assumes the power to manipulate chi.

From the book description:

Qigong Empowerment is the most unique and complete volume ever written in the English language on qigong.

What what what??? How could we have been so blind. I am having a bookburning tonight and will toast marshmallows while waiting for Amazon to deliver.

Actually this book is on my wish list which I have been compiling for fun and not buying anything from.

[off-topic]

^_^ "intermediate (3-4 years)" made me chuckle.

How to categorize stages in taoist cultivators? :huh: This is an interesting question.

Whose cultivation paths would one use as a guide? Perhaps best in another thread.

Wang Liping? Terry Dunny? Taomeow? Pietro? Encephalon? An immortal?

If we took Wang Liping's path, I wonder if his 'intermediate' stage started after 3 years. When would he say his intermediate path began? And, what qualities would he judge to be 'intermediate' skills? ;) Just curious. :)

edit> and what do you mean when you say 'manipulate chi?' :huh:

[/off-topic]

imo the 3-4 years of sincere and consistent practice does put one in the intermediate

stage.we dont remain as beginners for ever. getting to the advanced stage will take longer, maybe another 6-10 years of intermediate to get to advanced. but this is in general and maintaining consistent and sincere practice. and regardless of where anyone is( even a wang li ping) there is always a higher level.

YMWV

"Thanks, Zerostao! It's good to be back."

it is good to have you back and thanks for coming back.

[off-topic]

^_^ "intermediate (3-4 years)" made me chuckle.

How to categorize stages in taoist cultivators? :huh: This is an interesting question.

Whose cultivation paths would one use as a guide? Perhaps best in another thread.

Wang Liping? Terry Dunny? Taomeow? Pietro? Encephalon? An immortal?

If we took Wang Liping's path, I wonder if his 'intermediate' stage started after 3 years. When would he say his intermediate path began? And, what qualities would he judge to be 'intermediate' skills? ;) Just curious. :)

edit> and what do you mean when you say 'manipulate chi?' :huh:

[/off-topic]

My reaction was the same as yours when I first came upon the distinction of levels, but my experience was consistent with what accomplished teachers were saying. By the 3rd or 4th year of consistent practice (5+ days a week, 2+ hours a day) meridians and energy gates open up and we acquire the ability to circulate chi throughout our body at will. Hands and arms first, head and torso, legs last. I'm years away from even imagining what it must be like to gather chi from outside sources, as detailed in Qigong Empowerment, or to project chi as in medical qigong, but my stress level is lower than I can remember, even lower than it was when I was a child.

It's possibly worth buying. Maybe a bit 'too much too soon' for some though.

Maybe more a teacher training manual than a beginner or intermediate student textbook perhaps?

• Like 1

It's possibly worth buying. Maybe a bit 'too much too soon' for some though.

Maybe more a teacher training manual than a beginner or intermediate student textbook perhaps?

good insight. the energy that i felt when i received that book is very memorable.

good charge.