Jetsun

Yang of boundaries and personal power in relation to Yin of openness and vulnerability

I have been doing many exercises and techniques which are all about opening up but I am finding it is hard to make progress because they leave me feeling too vulnerable and sensitive which in the end leads me to closing down when having to deal with the outside world. So I am starting to think your ability to open up must be in proportion to your personal power or your confidence in your ability to set boundaries and push people away. So there is a direct yin-yang relationship between your willingness to open and your personal power. What this signals to me is that it is useless to only focus on opening up on the yin side, you also need to cultivate the power and strength to push people away if they cross your boundaries while you are open and more vulnerable, so the more powerful you feel the more willing you are to open. If you live in a monastery I can imagine you can only focus on the yin side as you are in a protected environment like a second womb while you make progress, but most of us don't have that protection.

Perhaps this is all just self evident to many people, early school stuff, but I see many many exercises for opening people up and oneness etc but not so many about personal power and separating yourself from others. I'm guessing this is where martial arts comes in but how relevant are the martial arts in this regard in the modern world? as the main threats now are less physical based as they were once in the past, rather it is more psychological now about handling emotional manipulation and dominance from other people, the attacks and threats you get from other people now are far more subtle and so you have to have power to protect yourself from say the dominating boss or the corporate psychopath rather than the person who is going to try steal your cow or physically attack you.

So I feel training in how to be strong, have personal power and firm boundaries in human relationships is far more relevant now than martial arts but yet I don't see a lot of methods and training in this sort of personal power out there, but if anyone can direct me where to find such information or any techniques I would be most grateful. I have read a load of stuff on setting personal boundaries but most of it is life coach stuff and nlp and I feel there must be more juicy esoteric information out there about psychic self protection, boundaries and power.

Edited by Jetsun
  • Like 1

Not exactly the esoteric stuff you're looking for, but I've found push hands to be very helpful in learning about the balance between vulnerability and boundaries in personal interactions. You develop listening energy, the ability to sense the other's intent, and you learn when to yield and when to push. It applies not only to martial arts/self defense but psychologically, too, if you can learn to dig it as a metaphor. Push hands is very psychological.

It is very vulnerable standing there touching hands with another person who is trying to knock you down (er... push you off balance). And very empowering.

Not exactly the esoteric stuff you're looking for, but I've found push hands to be very helpful in learning about the balance between vulnerability and boundaries in personal interactions. You develop listening energy, the ability to sense the other's intent, and you learn when to yield and when to push. It applies not only to martial arts/self defense but psychologically, too, if you can learn to dig it as a metaphor. Push hands is very psychological.

It is very vulnerable standing there touching hands with another person who is trying to knock you down (er... push you off balance). And very empowering.

Thanks this is good stuff. I'm not very experienced in the martial arts so perhaps I underestimate how much power it does give you in the emotional realms of human interaction, any more stuff like this is great.

Jetsun,

vulnerability is a part of life and living that has to be deeply expirienced and seen for what it is- not avoided.

In such situation I would look where does it come from and what can I do about it and if nothing than I would excersise patience(a great tool often underated)till solution comes or life sorts itself out.

Wounds need to be healed.Nurturing and loving 'yourself'is so important.

Anyway with opening up its not about progress-nowhere to get, but stripping down and feeling OK with it.As it is all part of life and its diversity ,a natural occurance every human expiriences.

Ill share what I ask myself it may inspire (or it may invoke laughter-whatever)

Do I want to be 'naked' with nothing to hold onto and embrace unknown?

Or walk around dressed in iron like tight clothes made of all different kinds of thoughts,aplying lipstick made out of fear and wearing vulnerability and pride as earings that are so heavy and already starting to tear off my earlobes ?

I choose to make love to unknown anytime.

In my opinion only when we can be totally vulnerable does the great strenght arise.That may be what you refer to as power,and this power will never be truly authentic unless the depths of vulnerability have been expirienced and understood.

Edited by suninmyeyes
  • Like 1

I have been doing many exercises and techniques which are all about opening up but I am finding it is hard to make progress because they leave me feeling too vulnerable and sensitive which in the end leads me to closing down when having to deal with the outside world. So I am starting to think your ability to open up must be in proportion to your personal power or your confidence in your ability to set boundaries and push people away. So there is a direct yin-yang relationship between your willingness to open and your personal power. What this signals to me is that it is useless to only focus on opening up on the yin side, you also need to cultivate the power and strength to push people away if they cross your boundaries while you are open and more vulnerable, so the more powerful you feel the more willing you are to open. If you live in a monastery I can imagine you can only focus on the yin side as you are in a protected environment like a second womb while you make progress, but most of us don't have that protection.

Perhaps this is all just self evident to many people, early school stuff, but I see many many exercises for opening people up and oneness etc but not so many about personal power and separating yourself from others. I'm guessing this is where martial arts comes in but how relevant are the martial arts in this regard in the modern world? as the main threats now are less physical based as they were once in the past, rather it is more psychological now about handling emotional manipulation and dominance from other people, the attacks and threats you get from other people now are far more subtle and so you have to have power to protect yourself from say the dominating boss or the corporate psychopath rather than the person who is going to try steal your cow or physically attack you.

An excellent statement. In my experience personal power is based upon a clear idea of your own personal boundaries--physical and psychological--and recognition of your inherent ability to control them. This begins with a process called 'grounding' in which you first become fully aware of your body, and then recognize (and say aloud) "Here I Am'. And at the same time recognize You are NOT in someone else's mind picture of what you are. From this distinct base you can then learn to manage how much or little you allow vulnerability. There is an exercise for this, and if you're interested let me know and I'll send it to you.

So I feel training in how to be strong, have personal power and firm boundaries in human relationships is far more relevant now than martial arts but yet I don't see a lot of methods and training in this sort of personal power out there, but if anyone can direct me where to find such information or any techniques I would be most grateful. I have read a load of stuff on setting personal boundaries but most of it is life coach stuff and nlp and I feel there must be more juicy esoteric information out there about psychic self protection, boundaries and power.

An excellent statement, Jetsun. In my experience personal power is based upon a clear idea of your own personal boundaries--physical and psychological--and recognition of your inherent ability to control them. This begins with a process called 'grounding' in which you first become fully aware of your body, and then recognize (and say aloud) "Here I Am'. And at the same time recognize You are NOT in someone else's mind picture of what you are. From this distinct base you can then learn to manage how much or little you allow vulnerability. There is an exercise for this, and if you're interested let me know and I'll send it to you.

Edited by stan herman

Jetsun,

vulnerability is a part of life and living that has to be deeply expirienced and seen for what it is- not avoided.

In such situation I would look where does it come from and what can I do about it and if nothing than I would excersise patience(a great tool often underated)till solution comes or life sorts itself out.

Anyway with opening up its not about progress-nowhere to get, but stripping down and feeling OK with it.As it is all part of life and its diversity ,a natural occurance every human expiriences.

Or walk around dressed in iron like tight clothes made of all different kinds of thoughts,aplying lipstick made out of fear and wearing vulnerability and pride as earings that are so heavy and already starting to tear off my earlobes ?

In my opinion only when we can be totally vulnerable does the great strenght arise.That may be what you refer to as power,and this power will never be truly authentic unless the depths of vulnerability have been expirienced and understood.

I think I get what you are saying, it is good to embrace your weaknesses and vulnerability then in the end you have nothing to defend, yet I am not sure it is wise or a good thing to be vulnerable all of the time with all people, unless you feel complete confidence in your personal power to defend yourself if they attack you in some way. Without that power then you will end up feeling embittered and abused if they take advantage of your openness, but if you do have the power then you can choose to use it or not. But I feel many of us may need development in our power to gain that confidence.

An example of what I mean from my own life is that a few years ago I started going to psychotherapy and at the same time I was meditating and doing stuff like that to try open me up, but I was not opening up in therapy no matter how much I wanted to embrace my vulnerability and no matter how much I meditated, but then one time I got angry at the therapist and basically showed that I could push him away and defend myself, then after that things progressed and I started to open up naturally. It took an embrace of my yang forces like aggression to open up my yin softer side, they seem to be in direct relation and proportion to each other. So now I am trying to find ways of taking this further so I can feel a degree of personal power and strength in all situations in life only then I think will there be the possibility to be heart open at will.

I agree with Stan's exercise suggestion. In dropping the conditioned self ("opening") you allow yourself to be who you are and other people to be who they are. If you only ever define yourself by others' reactions and expectations of you and you only ever define others by your reactions and expectations of them then IME/IMO you're setting yourself up for a rough time - and in fact this was exactly what you allowed yourself to do as a kid in order to 'get through'. But you don't have to do it forever :-) At some point we'll be able to teach kids that even they don't have to do it, or we'll have a more balanced environment for them so they won't get caught in such a reduced dualistic field :-)

If someone pushes the boundaries, making a joke out of it, is helpful to have in your arsenal since it pushes back but doesn't invite/demand dischord.

Sometimes people push boundaries very subtly, like you said; it helps to ask for more information. Responses like "so..." or "and..." will clarify and sometimes force them out of hiding so that you are able to deal with the situation for what it really is, without pre-emtive or unnecessary confrontation.

Jetsun,

This is excellent!

I, too, have a hard time letting myself be vulnerable. I am too good at creating boundaries. They are too easy for me.

The practice that calls me to it, right now, is to allow myself to be vulnerable, without flinching, flailing or fleeing.

I'm not thrilled about facing the practice, honestly, but the call is clear.

Edited by Otis

I think I get what you are saying, it is good to embrace your weaknesses and vulnerability then in the end you have nothing to defend, yet I am not sure it is wise or a good thing to be vulnerable all of the time with all people, unless you feel complete confidence in your personal power to defend yourself if they attack you in some way. Without that power then you will end up feeling embittered and abused if they take advantage of your openness, but if you do have the power then you can choose to use it or not. But I feel many of us may need development in our power to gain that confidence.

An example of what I mean from my own life is that a few years ago I started going to psychotherapy and at the same time I was meditating and doing stuff like that to try open me up, but I was not opening up in therapy no matter how much I wanted to embrace my vulnerability and no matter how much I meditated, but then one time I got angry at the therapist and basically showed that I could push him away and defend myself, then after that things progressed and I started to open up naturally. It took an embrace of my yang forces like aggression to open up my yin softer side, they seem to be in direct relation and proportion to each other. So now I am trying to find ways of taking this further so I can feel a degree of personal power and strength in all situations in life only then I think will there be the possibility to be heart open at will.

By embrcing vulnerability I simply mean recgonizing it for what it is ,where does it come from.When one is truly able to be vulnerable ,one has nothing to loose and wont feel abused or offended becouse this becomes a source of a strenght.

It does not have negative conotations.

This doesent mean that in a social context a person should be a doormat.Common sense and listening to ones feelings should be employed.

However this works for me and as we are all different some different approach might work better for you,but vulnerability together with all other fears will have to be met at some point if one is to live more peaceful life.

What you describe happened at the therapist when you got angry sounds to me that you have embraced vulnerability .Becouse what you call yang forces of agression steams from fear and agression is another expression of being vulnerable.

Working with fears ,recgonigizing them and dropping them helped me to open up a little.This is where expctations ,guilt,should and should nots and etc..all arise from.

By reading your post it seems that you do know instictivley know what needs to be adressed and are doing some deep expoloration .And have already empowered yourself ,otherwise you wouldnt be able to open up to such degree here on Tao Bums.Respect.

This is excellent!

I, too, have a hard time letting myself be vulnerable. I am too good at creating boundaries. They are too easy for me.

The practice that calls me to it, right now, is to allow myself to be vulnerable, without flinching, flailing or fleeing.

Hahaha you are funny.

In my opinion no need to rush becouse Life is so generous('generous')that she will force you to be vulnerable if you dont do it willingly,she will corner you and there might not be other way but to open up to it.

I was cornered by Life in past 2 years so much that I couldnt even be angry any longer ,everything I have ever avoided came face to face(and I always thought I was good at avoiding).It wasnt a love affair than thats for sure.

@Rainbowvein :wub: back at you sweetie!

Edited by suninmyeyes
  • Like 1

What about qualities like Patience, Persistence and Perseverance? Would these be Yin or Yang?

In the old martial arts schools in China its quite common to find the term "Quietly Persevere and Never Hit Back" (YAN) emblazoned boldly on a plaque in the main hall. This deeply profound word in Chinese encompasses all the qualities of the 3 P words above, and is the hallmark of a true warrior. It may connote a fairly Yin meaning, but beneath the surface, at the level of potential, it is pulsating with Yang power. Meditate on this....

Chogyam Trungpa said, "Gentleness arouses courage and a sense of fearlessness. The gentlest person becomes absolutely fearless. Just like children, when they are very young, they have no fear in their vulnerability, and Nature responds accordingly. Courage is the appreciation of letting go at the root level. With such an attitude, very little harm comes to you. First develop gentleness - then develop courage, which is connected to how you express this gentleness to the world."

Edited by CowTao
  • Like 1

What about qualities like Patience, Persistence and Perseverance? Would these be Yin or Yang?

In the old martial arts schools in China its quite common to find the term "Quietly Persevere and Never Hit Back" (YAN) emblazoned boldly on a plaque in the main hall. This deeply profound word in Chinese encompasses all the qualities of the 3 P words above, and is the hallmark of a true warrior. It may connote a fairly Yin meaning, but beneath the surface, at the level of potential, it is pulsating with Yang power. Meditate on this....

Chogyam Trungpa said, "Gentleness arouses courage and a sense of fearlessness. The gentlest person becomes absolutely fearless. Just like children, when they are very young, they have no fear in their vulnerability, and Nature responds accordingly. Courage is the appreciation of letting go at the root level. With such an attitude, very little harm comes to you. First develop gentleness - then develop courage, which is connected to how you express this gentleness to the world."

Pardon me, but what a bunch of BS. How's this for a thought:

when you can stand up for yourself, things will then be much

less stressful. *Then* you can be vulnerable with those

who deserve it.

I recommend: Somebodies and Nobodies: Overcoming the Abuse of Rank

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/086571486X

and then:

All Rise: Somebodies, Nobodies, and the Politics of Dignity

http://www.amazon.com/All-Rise-Somebodies-Nobodies-Hardcover/dp/1576753859/ref=pd_sim_b_2

I think this is useful for more than just work relationships.

Tyler

PS: be careful about opening up to these people on this forum,

if what you are opening up about goes against their values/

current level of knowledge.

This is excellent!

It's a good calling! It is scary though... of course!

If you were to hang around with blood thirsty wolves, a successful yang time would be to claw into some deer guts for the fatty acids. If you were to hang with some giraffes, then, a nice bunch of leaves would be just grand.

For a Taoist, or any spiritual person,the aim, the highest goal is too keep your ego in check, show patience, tolerance, lack of greed, dont look for fame, dont look for peer esteem. In a corporate society, there is greed, one upmanship, envy, need to look good before the boss (the alpha) and peers. Not always, but usually.

From what I see, your "yang"is confused with ego dominating behavior, which to me is not yang. I am a cultivator, when I see people greed, need to be recognized, this is errant behavior because it reinforces the sense of seperate self. Walking down the street, I am virtually a "doormat", getting out of the way of anyone. In my own eyes, I am not a doormat, I am just being patient with the people who are stuck in their own high sense of self.

In the end, the spiritual set of values trumps those of the pervasive general society, and they can feel it. If you cant get out of you corporate job into a simpler lifestyle then at least it can be a method of cultivation to adhere to Taoist values while in the fire.

• Like 2

How did CowTao's post hit a nerve? His words gently confirmed some of the qualities I myself have been able to cultivate on my own path. And who are 'these people?' Aren't you and I part of this community as well, one of 'these people?'

rainbow vein, you are one to talk all right.

I agree it is difficult to let go. But then, how do we know who 'deserves it' unless we first let go and offer our heart to open first? :huh:

You "open your heart" to people you get to know, who deserve it.

You don't "open your heart" to people who will just run roughshod

over you.

What I see going on here could be an attempt to point to

something higher, or it could be a lot of posturing

that wants to look "spiritual". Or both!

I would, say, don't open your heart to people

you don't know; open your heart to the process

of enlightenment. When it comes to people,

don't expect behavior much better than that of

gorillas. Even on spiritual forums.

And as for psychopaths, the standard advice is that

the only thing that works, is to get away from them, even

if you have to quit your job or cut off a grown child.

It's a rough process.

Tyler

Pardon me, but what a bunch of BS. How's this for a thought:

when you can stand up for yourself, things will then be much

less stressful. *Then* you can be vulnerable with those

who deserve it.

I recommend: Somebodies and Nobodies: Overcoming the Abuse of Rank

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/086571486X

and then:

All Rise: Somebodies, Nobodies, and the Politics of Dignity

http://www.amazon.com/All-Rise-Somebodies-Nobodies-Hardcover/dp/1576753859/ref=pd_sim_b_2

I think this is useful for more than just work relationships.

Tyler

PS: be careful about opening up to these people on this forum,

if what you are opening up about goes against their values/

current level of knowledge.

I'm going to look at these with interest Tyler. Thanks :-)

I think there comes a point in practice where the 'small self' (the one you don't love 'enough', the one that compares itself to others far too often, the one that's looking to reinforce itself due to it's weakness) lies somewhat dead and bleeding. I'd turn all the 'gentle' around at this point and point it at myself. Forget all the other people because if you try all that 'spriritual' stuff from that position, it won't work IMO/IME. Just more fakery on the part of the small 'me' trying to be good 'spiritual' person. I think (I know) that the gentle stuff only comes when you've realized just how strong you are and how much power you really have. Doling out 'love' to all willy nilly with no discernment or care for yourself (i.e. boundaries) is possibly self-harming...did it work before?

I agree that keeping one's own counsel is a valuable skill to learn.

• Like 1

It appears Mr Zambori has announced his re-entry to TTB with a bit of flair and panache.

Welcome - may you stay a while this time, and enjoy the banter while the going is good.

When I face the question of vulnerability, I have to ask myself: what's at risk?

And one of the most important factors in assessing risk, is weeding out the false positives.

Real risk is losing my life, my health, or my relationship to a loved one. Partial risk includes losing money or wasting my time.

But if I am emotionally vulnerable in front of another, what risk do I usually really have? Embarrassment? Being insulted? Are these really risks, or just my ego, freaking out?

Of course I am my ego, so I do feel pain when another dismisses my opinion, sleights my abilities, or acts as if I don't matter. But this pain is utterly within my control: if I accept it, then the pain vanishes. If I reject the pain, then I suffer. And if I spend my life trying to avoid that pain, then I remain in the captivity of my fear.

The spiritual path is fraught with hard-knocking revelations.

Decide what one wants from it, and what one is willing to forego and give up in exchange for spiritual growth.

To grow in spirit involves facing up to a lot of demons. And most of these guys operate outside of personal boundaries.. i think the main reason they choose to operate from there is because they are usually the ones who help us put up these barbed rails in the first instance.

What Otis said in the last paragraph of his post is perfect. Fear is a huge factor in determining how much we are willing to let go. Of course we have a choice to cling to as much as we want, in the hope of protecting what is deemed to be of value. But at the same time we need to remember that values shift, and as we traverse those roads of greatest resistance, the ground beneath our feet sometimes tremble, and the trembling can be good because it gives us the opportunity to reexamine how useful these values are, and unless we are willing to be pliable and soft, we might find it difficult to adapt to a newer and better set of values due to the fact that we have become so comfortable and secure in the old set.

Edited by CowTao

Being open and being afraid of being open is false "openess".

I teach and train Systema and combat Tai Chi. Part of the training is to engage in a drill where you deliberately expose oneself to attacks. You take hits, you get knocked down, you get pushed and pulled.

Why do we do this?

The greatest fear is the fear that you can't handle it. So we engage in continous physical contact to learn that you can in fact handle the worst happening; to learn that the body has the ability to move, yield, adjust and change to mitigate the most aggressive intrusions.

To cross-reference this with Daoism, there are certain sects whose adherents deliberately expose themselves to public ridicule and abuse. They dress as beggars, beg for food, and seek the ridicule of their friends and family.

So if you are truly wanting to learn the lesson of openness, instead of looking for ways to protect your openness, which as I said isn't really openness at all, open yourself some more and learn that the only thing to fear is fear itself.

:D

I agree with K's post.

Other people's spiritual insights don't work as concepts or belief systems when tackled from the wounded vunerable part of the psyche. This will just create a doormat personality, I have met some of these people.

The book How To Be An Adult by David Richo is an excellent book I am reading at the moment, that exceeds the expectations set by the title... IMO this is a balanced approach to self development, a map for building a healthy ego/psychological perspective whilst integrating it with our spiritual nature.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Adult-Psychological-Spiritual-Integration/dp/0809132230/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309911582&sr=1-1

@-K-, you're welcome :)

@cowtao,

It appears Mr Zambori has announced his re-entry to TTB with a bit of flair and panache.

Welcome - may you stay a while this time, and enjoy the banter while the going is good.

Well, thank you for the compliment and greeting.