Sign in to follow this  
Nihro

What would an all Taoist city look like?

I've just started my official Taoist journey recently and as of late I've been reading books about society comparing them to Taoist values. Most specifically I've been reading the Songs of Ice and Fire series. I ask you all, what would a Taoist city look like? How would the infrastructure be, how would the people treat each other and how would they live amongst themselves and other non Taoists? What structures would we create, what bridges would we make, and how would social problems be solved? Would we live in simple huts devoid of technology creating what only the land could provide, or would our Taoist society naturally progress towards technological and inventive gains? Harmony is the root of true living in as much as I have learned but this idea seems difficult to propagate on a large macro scale. So what do you think a truly spiritual Taoist society would look like?

Edited by Nihro

We might all become blue with perfect physical, astral, causal bodies. :D

For reference:

So what do you think a truly spiritual Taoist society would look like?

Probably not as grandiose as you might imagine. I think monasteries (pick your religious flavor) might be closest. I.E. like minded people who don't have as many of the modern pressures and temptations acting on them.

Maybe Ashrams would be close too. Again the reality often doesn't match preconceptions. Fighting, petty jealousies go on everywhere there are people.

I've read expose's on places like the Shaolin temple. Even with its high precepts and early training it has its share of brutality, egoism and sadism. The top people escape it, or rise above, but its still present.

I've just started my official Taoist journey recently and as of late I've been reading books about society comparing them to Taoist values. Most specifically I've been reading the Songs of Ice and Fire series. I ask you all, what would a Taoist city look like? How would the infrastructure be, how would the people treat each other and how would they live amongst themselves and other non Taoists? What structures would we create, what bridges would we make, and how would social problems be solved? Would we live in simple huts devoid of technology creating what only the land could provide, or would our Taoist society naturally progress towards technological and inventive gains? Harmony is the root of true living in as much as I have learned but this idea seems difficult to propagate on a large macro scale. So what do you think a truly spiritual Taoist society would look like?

I have no idea what an all Taoist city would look like but I read a book once called The Monastery of Jade Mountain by Peter Goullart. Like thelerner suggests, it gives glimpses into some monasteries, both Buddhist and Daoist which are enlightening. It's important to remember that there is no separation in the Chinese mind and spirit between Daoism, Confucianism, and Buddhism. Such distinctions are intellectual and artificial. Cities are what they are, people behave in certain ways. "Daoist" is a label, a creation of mind to encapsulate certain ideals and ideology.

On the other hand, one could argue that every city is a Daoist city because Dao encompasses all. All cities arise from and return to it. All of us arise from it and return to it.

:)

So what do you think a truly spiritual Taoist society would look like?

You know that blissful look and feeling inside when time seems to stop and your mind is as empty as possible... it happens right after a great bout of constipation and finally breaks free and releases all. :lol:

I think it's just people living and breathing with the same pulse as nature.

When I was at Mt. QingCheng in Southern Sichuan province of China, there was a sign explaining the life of a certain village which is home to the oldest living people in the world; The simple life of waking and sleeping with the sun.

• Like 1

I think a western Taoist city would look a lot more natural than most cities. There'd be a bunch of people in parks doing weird body movement exercises, myself included. You'd hear a lot more discussion on "dantiens" at the local tea shop. :lol: By the way...more tea shops. Like one on every block.

The cops in the city would be really bored.

That's about it.

Hmmm... A taoist city would be built by the great mother. Alot of wood, stone, grass, animals, air, water and sun- or moonlight. I don't think she'd built it any other way. Also architecture would constantly change it self to fit the circumstances perfectly each and every time.

Sign in to follow this