Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

Renzo and Ryan

Cool clip of two Gracies rolling.

The Gracies are done with a capital "d." They dominated back when nobody worth a damn was in the ring, but MMA has attracted all sorts of genetic monsters like Fedor and Hughes who've got the same skills as the Gracies--even if they don't have as high a level of mastery.

It is just like when once rock climbing became popular (translation: there was money to be earned) the sport attracted every freak--like former Olympic gymnasts and shit. Pretty soon you had climbers who weighed 200 lbs and could do ONE FINGER pull-ups. Their sheer power overshadowed the need for high skill and made the sport a little dull.

As MMA gets bigger you will see more and more supermen enter the sport. The only thing that can stop it is the greed of the promoters like Dana White. That man is totally drained from fucking the score-card girls are whatever they are called. I have respect for him though because that man is a true pimp and Tito and Liddell are his hoes.

Luckily for Tito, he has worked something out with Don King. Basically Don King is a better pimp.

Not necissarily. There is a new generation of young Gracies that could do really well in MMA. As far as the older generation yeah I don't see any of them beating Fedor or anything.

Also, probably the next UFC heavyweight champ, Jeff Monson, is a genetic freak with BJJ/Submission skills. All things being equal when a monster like him fights another monster like Tim Sylvia or whatever those BJJ/Submission skills are what will win the fight. And that's still basically the Gracies legacy and will still be conencted with them.

Roger Gracie is the young Gracie champion now it would be interesting to see how he would do in UFC or Pride. I think he would do well but ultimatly your right hes not beating Wanderlei or Chuck with Gracie JJ.

Yeah I agree with you totally that BJJ is the tool of choice when on the ground. I mean, the Russians will claim that they use Sambo but if you notice they do very few leg submissions in MMA which is the hallmark of Sambo.

Thing is, when everyone has BJJ then submission skills are not what wins fights. Only power does, or as Gotch/Ortiz say, "Conditioning is your best hold." How else could gods like Gracie and Horne lose to Hughes? Their skills are far better, but they get overwhelmed. Joe Stevenson is an extremely skilled BJJ guy, but he is too short to be effective from a mechanical point of view. It is sad to watch him fight in that regard. If only he had better genetics, he would be a champion.

No matter what Matt Furey says about how hard you train, it comes down to genetics of sorts in the ring. Of course you need to train hard. But without genetics forget about being a champion. This is why Matt Furey would dominate Scott Sonnon in an MMA fight. No matter how superior Scott's training methods are, he simply lacks the strength next to Furey, who is an Irish gorilla.

Sonnon is only a small monkey. :lol:

Edited by SheepishLord

Yeah I agree with you totally that BJJ is the tool of choice when on the ground. I mean, the Russians will claim that they use Sambo but if you notice they do very few leg submissions in MMA which is the hallmark of Sambo.

Thing is, when everyone has BJJ then submission skills are not what wins fights. Only power does, or as Gotch/Ortiz say, "Conditioning is your best hold." How else could gods like Gracie and Horne lose to Hughes? Their skills are far better, but they get overwhelmed. Joe Stevenson is an extremely skilled BJJ guy, but he is too short to be effective from a mechanical point of view. It is sad to watch him fight in that regard. If only he had better genetics, he would be a champion.

No matter what Matt Furey says about how hard you train, it comes down to genetics of sorts in the ring. Of course you need to train hard. But without genetics forget about being a champion. This is why Matt Furey would dominate Scott Sonnon in an MMA fight. No matter how superior Scott's training methods are, he simply lacks the strength next to Furey, who is an Irish gorilla.

Sonnon is only a small monkey. :lol:

Yeah, I would probably pick Furey over Scott in a grappling match or maybe even in MMA but Furey probably outweights Scott by like 50 lbs. Not really fair In any case Fedor is the hallmark MMA fighter. He is good at everything. I don't think Tito has ever submitted anyone in MMA and mostly relies on his wrestling. So put Tito against Fedor or whatever and those sambo skills start to really stand out. Not to mention his natural talents.

The fight of the year will be Chuck vs. Wand if it goes down. OMG that will be so awesome.

Yeah, I would probably pick Furey over Scott in a grappling match or maybe even in MMA but Furey probably outweights Scott by like 50 lbs. Not really fair In any case Fedor is the hallmark MMA fighter. He is good at everything. I don't think Tito has ever submitted anyone in MMA and mostly relies on his wrestling. So put Tito against Fedor or whatever and those sambo skills start to really stand out. Not to mention his natural talents.

The fight of the year will be Chuck vs. Wand if it goes down. OMG that will be so awesome.

When Scott was swinging clubs he was 220 lbs. or something like that.. I remember his bragging about it. When Furey cuts weight he is like 190, so I think it would be a fair match.

Man, I was trying to respond to this again but I have benifitted from Furey's stuff and I have beniffitted from Scott's stuff and prefer to just leave it at that.

P-I prefer to think of it as being respectful of two people I do genuinely like and have gotten alot of cool tricks from.

In any case Ime sure either of them can kick either of our asses.

I am a little surprised that some people on here actually like Furey s stuff.

Every other bboard I have been to that is MA or physical culture related consider him a huckster.Talking to Farmers Burns ghost?come on.

His marketing after 9/11 was slimey and his products are very overpriced IMO.

But if his material benifitted you than that is what is important.

Also Sonnon has much more competitive grappling experience than "Mat Furrey".

Bodyweight training goes beyond Furey but he was the guy that made me aware of them. Since then I have checked out DVD's from Indian wrestlers and Gotch himself doing the excercises. But Furey's stuff still explains how to do the excercises best.

I havent really checked out much of his stuff beyond the bodyweight training though. And you can find probably most of it online. Yeah, the mma community doesn't think highly of him but who cares. It's the information that is most important.

I was on Furey's mailing list for a while. His 'marketing' really turned me off of him.

Michael

Sign in to follow this