Sign in to follow this  
RiverSnake

Magus of Strovolos

I found this book browsing amazon and yes i am that big of a book worm. At first i thought it was a book by the same guy who did Magus of Java but it is a different author. Its about a christian mystic living in Strovolos whom is a healer similar to that other esoteric traditions such as Buddhism and Taoism. Its gotten really good reviews and i love reading books about other people's journeys.

Has anyone reads this book, i'd like to get a bums opinion and also if it is a good book make more people aware of it.

Edited by OldGreen

Good book, I actually enjoyed it better than Magus of Java; Daskalos was decidedly more ... wholesome. Wonderful stories, like holding a young toddler who had never been able to walk, then setting her on the floor to the horror of her parents and telling her to go to mama, and she did.

Daskalos (aka Stylianos Atteshlis) also wrote a few books of his own which the group he founded, Researchers of Truth, sells. I have a couple and they are very interesting. Of course more Western than Eastern, if one can categorize -- he worked within a Greek Orthodox context.

Great read. Would have loved to have met the man but he passed on a number of years ago.

• Like 1

I read this book years ago, as well as another by the same author called Riding with the Lion and enjoyed them both. I think I was inspired to read these by Dr. Glenn Morris, who had some stuff about Greek Orthodox Christianity in his last book Martial Arts Madness. It may have been written by one of his students, but was pretty interesting. There was a piece on the Monks of Mount Athos on 60 Minutes a month or two ago that was really cool, and can probably be found online.

Have not read the book, but, here is a video about hermits in eastern europe, i personally found it very interesting:

Peace

Ed

I read this book years ago, as well as another by the same author called Riding with the Lion and enjoyed them both. I think I was inspired to read these by Dr. Glenn Morris, who had some stuff about Greek Orthodox Christianity in his last book Martial Arts Madness. It may have been written by one of his students, but was pretty interesting. There was a piece on the Monks of Mount Athos on 60 Minutes a month or two ago that was really cool, and can probably be found online.

I read a thing about Mount Athos in the paper not so long ago about how there has never been any case of cancer there and some scientist wanted to investigate this and he created an anti cancer Mount Athos diet from his investigations, but personally I expect there is much more to it than just diet, I expect the monks are purifying their body and spirit in much higher ways than the scientist is able to comprehend. Some people have said that the first Fourth Way teachings and original teachings of Jesus originate from there, it would be interesting to investigate this but they only allow certain monks on the island so it could be difficult.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this