Sign in to follow this  
Everything

Increasing reading speed

Hey! I was wondering how I increasingly wish to read more stuff. I've also been among the slowest readers at 150 words per minute maybe less.

There are people who read slower then me, but also people who read alot faster.

I remember as a child I use to read cartoons really fast, but the older I grow the slower I get. Here on these forums I'm sure there must be some fast readers since you guys have probably read alot, I hope.

Can anyone share some tips or perhaps analyze your way of reading to share it witu slow readers here, if there is another slower reader besides me that is :)

Thanks in advance, looking forward to reading responds. Really slow... :lol:

what I do sometimes is just read the nouns and a few adjectives to get the idea of what's going on. I find this especially good for fiction which I rarely read because I just want the message and all the long descriptions sort of drag down the process sometimes. This way I get

mountain, shining, lake, travellers, frequented. Okay, so that pretty much gives me the short paragraph about this rolling such and such mountain which the sun hits in such a way at such time of day and such and such travellers go there... The poetry between the words can be nice but usually I'll just read dense poetry if that's what I'm looking for.

I wouldn't do this all the time but it can help get past certain drawn out parts. Also if something is really testing my patience I'll just skip ahead a bit to see where it's going and then I know what is necessary and relevant and what I can afford to glance over.

Hi everything,

The fact that you read cartoons faster as a kid makes sense since children have a lot more active minds. When you age your mind tends to slow down so its nothing to worry about. The real question is do you want to strengthen your mind or just learn speedreading techniques (or both)?

There is a book out there can't remember name of it its pretty small, the basic idea of it is

1. Enter a relaxed state.

2. Use specific eye movements over each page to rapidly scan the data

The author claimed to read books at a page every 2secs with full data retention but after practicing it for a few months the best I got was a page every 10 secs with about 80%. You can use it effectively with a learning system described in the book "Superlearning 2000" (Ostrader), which is a must-buy, it will enrich your mind and inspire you to learn.

Rock on

Edited by Goldleaf

Practicing meditation has increased my ability to concentrate so i can read for hours without getting tired.

As for reading faster, i don't know any techniques

Hi everything,

The fact that you read cartoons faster as a kid makes sense since children have a lot more active minds. When you age your mind tends to slow down so its nothing to worry about. The real question is do you want to strengthen your mind or just learn speedreading techniques (or both)?

There is a book out there can't remember name of it its pretty small, the basic idea of it is

1. Enter a relaxed state.

2. Use specific eye movements over each page to rapidly scan the data

The author claimed to read books at a page every 2secs with full data retention but after practicing it for a few months the best I got was a page every 10 secs with about 80%. You can use it effectively with a learning system described in the book "Superlearning 2000" (Ostrader), which is a must-buy, it will enrich your mind and inspire you to learn.

Rock on

Well, that kinda sounds unbelievable. Any case on youtube that shows 10 sec per page? Hwo do I know you speak of truth?

Practicing meditation has increased my ability to concentrate so i can read for hours without getting tired.

As for reading faster, i don't know any techniques

Yeah, I noticed concentration really has no use when you read slow. It the very essence of being not efficient with your time... I mean I really gotta learn to read another way first then worry about concentration.

I just noticed how I increased my reading speed by trying to remove sub-vocalization. Instead of sound of the word I imagine an image with certain sentences and go over the lines quicker.

But its still not easy to go fast. I read really slow according to internet avarage at ~250 words per minute. My max is 150 words per minute.

One page? In a small book it might take 2 minutes to do one page. I don't know anyone who can read faster then me though... All my friends are slow readers! :angry:

Share me the secrets guys. I just know you guys can read alot faster then me. :ninja:

Edited by Everything

yeah they recommend Baroque music like slow Mozart movements -- it has 60 beats per minute and the heart synchronizes to it as relaxation that puts the brain in an alpha wave trance that increases the serotonin levels for increased right brain memorization.

But if speed is the issue and not recall then just prioritize the information and weed out the unnecessary info.

It depends on the book -- fiction I read slowly -- and savor the sounds of the words -- but I can read it faster based on the sounds yet not necessarily take the book at its word. haha.

I read one scholarly book a day for 10 years while sitting in full lotus the whole time and "flexing" my pineal gland. This enables exorcising the left brain blockages which are the subconscious (otherwise) lower emotional blockages that cause the left brain to get stuck in a loop, fixed on a lower emotional thought pattern. So you gotta clear those out -- first the right brain energy increases and then it clears out the left brain - and then the brain can easily focus and take in new information in a relaxed manner.

Umm the internal orgasms "empty" out the brain as an exorcism of the emotional tension -- and so the love of learning kicks in.

What is more emotionally intense is then more easily remembered since it makes an "imprint" on the body -- the image is stored holographically like a photo - in the electrochemical energy of the body.

The idiot savants don't have a separation of the right and left brain - so the right brain is dominant and it can just memorize information and then spit it back out just like a computer.

But it lacks the left brain skill of prioritizing the information and analyzing the information and also lying about the information, etc.

So when we exorcise the left brain then we actually deactivate the left brain from it's normal control of thinking since the control is slower than the right brain - the control is linear and also stuck in the lower emotional energies like fear, lust and anger mainly.

So the best learning environment is a relaxed one that is open to new information without the fear-anger-lust crackdown -- the "thug mentality."

For example in the early development of written language the "lyre" was used to memorize texts -- poetry was set to music -- and so was philosophy. So this was also a time when language was based more on metaphor and more magical and what we would today consider to be mythological.

Older languages are more tonal but not written down -- and actually those cultures have much stronger right brain visualization memorization capabilities.

This is why music is a trigger to subconscious memories - for example the "hidden melody" phenomenon is when a melody pops in your head and when you remember the words you realize the words reveal the subconscious meaning -- the deep poignancy -- of whatever experience you are having.

So the music is a gateway to your deeper holographic information storage system.

So I find the best type of speed reading is based on left brain prioritization of the information presented which then screens out the filler fluff material that is basically filling the holes in the logic -- information that does not need to be spelled out. So then a reader can "cut to the chase" of the information and focus on the actual evidence being presented or whatever else concrete details are crucial.

So there are different kinds of speed reading - I don't do the "memorize and regurgitate" kind of learning -- because a person can rattle off fancy words real fast like trivia and such but that is just a "dopamine" buzz - it is not the deeper serotonin and oxytocin level of learning.

Edited by pythagoreanfulllotus

I am certain there are plenty of speed reading programs available for next to nothing online - and they definitely work for you at any age that I am aware of. - You can learn full comprehension speed reading and you can pull 1000+ words a minute reading every word or you can use skimming techniques which go very high but will not bring perfect comprehension.

I can tell you of a phenomenal story of the finest healer that I have ever encountered - and it had to do with my reading speed.

(By the way - if in telling this story any of you can identify the healing technique - please contact me directly)

I had attended a Healing demonstration in Berkeley sometime in about 1975 - it was advertised in the UC Berkeley gazzette that I was attending. At the end of the healing demonstration we were give a coupon for a healing at a cost of only $5.00 so I went in for what ended up as 3 memorable and fantastic energetic healings.

On the third and final visit I did not have anything in particular that I could think of - but my reading speed had gone from about 1200 wpm to about 200 wpm (I majored in Philosophy - we read and re-read every word) and so I mentioned this as my only specific interest.

As before, he asked that I breath in with him and that upon exhale - that i made a sort of low grating breath sound and imagine that the stuck energy is going into my feces or urine. He held the back of my head and ground a finger into my brow area - the area of the 6th chakra. He pressed very firmly but it is an area that does not feel pressure as pain easily even when a considerable amount of pressure is applied so I was quite comfortable during that process.

During this entire process no questions were asked - before or after. At the end of the session he stated the following more or less: "you are welcome to lie down here as long as you wish, when you feel up to it - drive home and lay down. You will not sleep for long but when you wake up you will feel much better"

I lay on the table in his basement for a very long time - I could not believe how out of sorts I felt and I was afraid to drive in the condition I found myself. Eventually I did not want to impose any further and decided to leave - it was about 1 1/2 hours later or more. It felt dangerous to drive home but home was not far at all so I made it back and as soon as I arrived in my studio I hit the sack. Six minutes later I woke up and felt as light as a feather - wide awake - and my eyes felt like I had new teflon sockets greased with lighting. (it reminded me of when I had my braces taken off and my tongue just flew all over my mouth)

I was immediately back at reading somewhere around 1200 wpm - it was to say the least incredible!

Edited by Spotless

Sign in to follow this