Sign in to follow this  
de_paradise

What would be a great thing to commit to memory?

I dont read many books anymore, but I do like to memorize things. I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion of what could be very beneficial and help with ones path.

I dont read many books anymore, but I do like to memorize things. I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion of what could be very beneficial and help with ones path.

I like to memorize things aswell, but I really fail at this, no matter how hard I try. As soon as I read something I forget.

Tao te Ching by memory would be beneficial I guess. Also remember some great poems. Wisdom that you can use on the go. I have no idea why we should memorize things nowadays... Since the birth of paper, an external memory, we no longer need our memories. Especially now people use technology to store great amounts of information.

I'm very curious... Why do you like to memorize things? I like to do it too, but thats just because I'm bad at memorizing.

My dream would be to recall with great accuracy; huge amounts of text.

Edited by Everything

I like the idea that the rapper Jay-Z doesn't write his lyrics down. He formulates an entire song in his head, then can go into a vocal booth and spit it out. So if I were doing memory stuff, I'd do the same thing with my own words.

Seems more engaging than just memorizing without any creative process involved.

World history is useful. It can give lots of insight and perspective on day-to-day things.

This is a very interesting thought.

I often times wonder what it would be like to have total recall of

all our past selves/lives. Recall of every incarnation since the beginning.

An uninterrupted flow of of past lessons learned and failed.

Imagine the storehouse of information we have within our being,

I would like that to be always available for instant recall.

Peace!

Channels and acupoints via Peter Deadman's "A Manual of Acupuncture"

via hardback, digital, flashcards.

(for self-acupressure)

• Like 1

In the ancient days they used mnemonic devices, like poetry, in order to remember stories and such. I think the problem with many people these days is that we don't believe anything is worth remembering. Others believe that general knowledge is good enough, that you don't need to know the exact words.

The only thing I committed to memory that I still remember is a verse from the bible I learned when I was nine years old because my sister had to learn it for Sunday school and I was helping her, it was John 3:3-6, 'Jesus answered and said to him, "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, unless a man is born again, he can not enter the kingdom of God. Nicodemus asked, "How can a man be born again, must he enter his mother's womb a second time?" Jesus answered, "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, unless a man is born of the flesh and water, he cannot enter the kingdom of Heaven. For flesh gives birth to flesh and spirit gives birth to spirit."'

After thinking about it, I think that Jesus guy might have been onto something, at least in regards to the flesh and spirit.

Anyways, my point is that you really shouldn't feel you need to memorize something, rather memorize those things that have some kind of importance to you. At one time I memorized "my father moved through dooms of love" by e.e. cummings. It's still one of my favorite poems.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

It is a great experience to memorize daodejing 67 daily and writing it as well in

简体字 'simple-form character',

繁體字 'full-form character'.

篆書 seal character

remembering the radicals with basic ideas....

第六十七章

天下皆謂我道大

似不肖

夫唯大

故似不肖

若肖

久矣其細也夫

我有三寶

持而保之

一曰

二曰

三曰

不敢為天下先

故能勇

故能廣

不敢為天下先

故能成器長

舍慈且勇

舍儉且廣

舍後且先

死矣

夫慈

以戰則勝

以守則固

天將救之

以慈衛之

I would say the Tao Teh Ching would be an obvious choice ;)

Channels and acupoints via Peter Deadman's "A Manual of Acupuncture"

via hardback, digital, flashcards.

(for self-acupressure)

Good ones! (for me)

Chinese

Portuguese

Hindi

Conga,Tabla repertoire

Jazz Standards

Materia Medica

(This week at least) ;)

Sign in to follow this