Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

Steven Seagal Aikido

I had a video of Seagal teaching a class in the late 90's. It impressed me much more then his movies. He was a very good teacher. Nice style, quick and hard. As a sensei he was traditional but very open in taking questions and physically showing and explaining moves. He dealt with quick jabs and even defenses for take down techniques.

He had trained in Japan, married (and divorced) his senseis daughter. And had the audacity to teach Aikido in Japan, a very thing for a round eyed gaijin.

I really enjoyed my years in Aikido. But if the goal is be a well rounded fighter you need to add some other arts. But learning a few quick and dirty moves is easy. The grace, timing and power of Aikido, that is hard, and rewarding.

Here's another good video .

Michael

I really enjoyed my years in Aikido. But if the goal is be a well rounded fighter you need to add some other arts. But learning a few quick and dirty moves is easy. The grace, timing and power of Aikido, that is hard, and rewarding.

Michael

I'd heard comments to the effect that it was easy for Seagal sensei to throw those "poor little Japanese guys around", but of course those comments probably come from 12-year old Ninjas. :rolleyes:

I DO have a question for you, Michael, if I may - as a (former?) aikidoka, why do you say that you need other arts to be a well-rounded fighter? I would think the very fact that it's a -do would be indicative of it's path, but of course I'm not aware of your particular training.

I only ask because I frequent another martial arts board where the topic of combat-effective aikido comes up all the time.

Thanks for the link!

The early years of the Ultimate Fighting Contests put single styles to the test and found most of them wanting, at least in the venue of the ring. Even the style that started the ball rolling, Brazilian Ju Jitsu, found itself unable to be considered Ultimate without training in other arts.

We certainly did punch, kick and choke in Aikido. But in choking those with experience in older style Judo, there choke, even a simple back choke was a world different then what we would do. We'd kick, but it a pleasure to work with good TaeKwondo people who could really pull off high hollywood kicks - and pay the price.

Different arts excel in different areas. In Aikido we punched kicked choked threw pinned, learned healing, breathing, awareness techniques. I think the aim was to be a complete human being, not an ultimate fighter. The techniques were martial but the aim was do, a path.

It could be used for fighting, but was excellent training in not fighting. Avoiding a fight, running away was always considered a very intelligent option.

Hour for hour I don't think Aikido will neccessarily be the best use of someone who wants to learn to fight. But I think it will teach you how to fight plus many life lessons.

Michael

Sign in to follow this