Umezuke

Breathing life into practice into life

So hopefully we all meditate/whatever on a daily basis. My question is; how do we tranform life into practice?

Do we walk around in every day life performing tenaga dalam (probably not the safest thing to do, haha)? Breathe deeply from the stomach? Do we try to be in a super aware state of conciousness, doing our best to notice absolutely everything; every sight, sound, smell and otherwise? Reserve part of our awareness to watch/monitor ourselves? Do math problems? Restrain ourselves from thought altogether? Focus on our breath? Our dan-tien? Silently recite mantras?

How do we turn daily practice into daily life?

A&L

• Like 1

- Breathe deeply from the stomach? Check

- Do we try to be in a super aware state of conciousness, doing our best to notice absolutely everything; every sight, sound, smell and otherwise? When I remember, check

- Reserve part of our awareness to watch/monitor ourselves? Check, but no so sure this is a good idea anymore

- Do math problems? No ;-)

- Restrain ourselves from thought altogether? No

- Focus on our breath? No

- Our dan-tien? No

- Silently recite mantras? No, although it seems 'Om Mani Padme Hum' has exactly the right number of syllables and timing to get really fast heart/mind/body/breath coherence (sort of like the Stress Eraser) So I guess I'd use it sometimes.

This is what I do (for now)

I try to be aware. Not only does this include what is going on around me but, even more importantly, what's going on in me.

I rarely pay much attention to breath.

I pay attention to how I react to people, situations, and so on. What feelings and thoughts come up. How I respond.

This allows me to act rather than re-act.

If I don't pay attention, I tend to utilize and reinforce conditioned patterns which are not always the most skillful.

If I'm aware and have an opportunity to watch my response and choose my actions, there is room for growth and insight.

• Like 1

I find it helpful to remember that the person you're flipping off because they just cut you off in traffic is actually You.

I try to be aware. Not only does this include what is going on around me but, even more importantly, what's going on in me.

I rarely pay much attention to breath.

I pay attention to how I react to people, situations, and so on. What feelings and thoughts come up. How I respond.

This allows me to act rather than re-act.

If I don't pay attention, I tend to utilize and reinforce conditioned patterns which are not always the most skillful.

If I'm aware and have an opportunity to watch my response and choose my actions, there is room for growth and insight.

Excellent! This is very much how I strive to be in practice, throughout life.

I also have to stress practicing ongoing forgiveness, to myself and others. When I do witness my resentment of the world, it is surrendered through forgiveness. When I find my internal critic slamming me (as if there were more than one of me in here), then it is self-forgiveness that allows me to recognize my mistakes, fix them, and move on.

Also, the surrender of stories is important for me. I find myself spinning all kinds of yarns, throughout the day, as to what events mean, what people think, etc. I don't try to stop or ignore the flow of thoughts, because they are there for a reason, to help me make sense of the world. So I try just to listen to them, accept them, and then let them go.

Seeing that things are beautiful just the way they are, especially easy outside in the Summer!

I had a factory job that required a lot of right to left movements so I incorporated fluidity from tai chi into the movement.

Had a department store security job where the manager would want me to remove this banned homeless guy once in a while. Instead of using force I just remembered Wu Wei and stood near him until he got the message and left rather than making a scene.

Practicing full involvement like in my tag below.

Walking slowly and observantly rather than rushing and ignoring.

• Like 1

At some point you are able to let go of the constant effort...then everything opens up, and everything is spontaneously attained.

Trying causes the mind and energy to kind of coil up and tighten...the attention moves forward and 'engages'...

...whereas letting go causes all energy to unfurl and exist in its natural state. Attention is loose and expanded, coming from the center.

• Like 1

I think it was Steve F. who recently commented on how driving in traffic is great practice. Especially for those who have long and intense commutes, or face uncaring and unaware drivers, finding calm and presence on the roadway is a great way to learn, while enjoying the drive a lot better.

So hopefully we all meditate/whatever on a daily basis. My question is; how do we tranform life into practice?

1. Do we walk around in every day life performing tenaga dalam (probably not the safest thing to do, haha)?

2. Breathe deeply from the stomach?

3. Do we try to be in a super aware state of conciousness, doing our best to notice absolutely everything; every sight, sound, smell and otherwise?

4. Reserve part of our awareness to watch/monitor ourselves?

5. Do math problems?

6. Restrain ourselves from thought altogether?

7. Focus on our breath? Our dan-tien?

8. Silently recite mantras?

A&L

1. No.

2. Breathe deeply to the abdomen? Yes, most definitely.

3. Yes, most definitely. That will increase your alertness and vigilance.

4. No.

5. Optional

6. No.

7. Yes, most definitely.

8. No.

Note: If one doesn't concentrate on breathing during meditation, then one is defeating the purpose of meditation.

At some point you are able to let go of the constant effort...then everything opens up, and everything is spontaneously attained.

Trying causes the mind and energy to kind of coil up and tighten...the attention moves forward and 'engages'...

...whereas letting go causes all energy to unfurl and exist in its natural state. Attention is loose and expanded, coming from the center.

Yeah I wonder if any effort actually helps, because where does the effort come from? more often then not it is from some part of the ego trying to manipulate how other people perceive me and how I feel, so I don't feel "bad" thus it's just another subtle ruse to try to avoid suffering, so any effort just makes things worse

It can help to remind myself of a thing the Dalai Lama often repeats which is that all people base their actions on the desire to be happy and avoid suffering which can help bring compassion and perspective to a situation, but apart from that I have found most other attempts in the midst of the world get hijacked by ego motivations and end up causing more stress.

I tried an exercise ball as a chair because I read on a forum that some one found it better than the 1000$ ergonomic chair. when I got tired or over worked I put back the flat cushioned chair which doesn't force micro-movements. Then I switch back to exercise ball when I feel like it. I can bounce around and exercises on it from time to time during sitting. and it trains those muscles affected by normal chairs so I felt the burn the first few days then my low back pain reduced significantly.

EQITC.jpg

a new one I bought was PVC and gave off toxic fumes when I inflated it, so I left it on the roof or the yard where the sun and wind gas it off for 2 days then it was ok.

Edited by Desert Eagle

I think it was Steve F. who recently commented on how driving in traffic is great practice. Especially for those who have long and intense commutes, or face uncaring and unaware drivers, finding calm and presence on the roadway is a great way to learn, while enjoying the drive a lot better.

The Treasure it develops? Never Be The First In The World. Harried and rude drivers must think their trip is the most important, the most urgent....moreso than other drivers on the road. This goes directly through ego when this Treasure is developed.

• Like 1