Sign in to follow this  
ralis

Death Meditation After Physical Death

I know there are a number of accounts in various traditions of this phenomenon taking place. This account should by no means should be exclusive to the Tibetan Buddhists.

The video speaks for itself.

My link

Edited by ralis
  • Like 2

Thanks for posting, ralis,

I agree it is not exclusive to Buddhism - I can think of a few taoist cases that I came across while studying IMA:

Legend has it that the three taoists who taught Dong Haichuan (the founder of Baguazhang) the benefits of "walking the I-Ching" died and mummified while sitting up in meditation postures in a cave. Legend also has it that this "tomb" was destroyed during the cultural revolution, thus no current-day way of verifying whether this was actually true.

A more recent account is recorded in the English translation (Albert Liu) of Sun Lu Tang's Xing Yi Quan Xue in which an interview from the 1990'ies of Sun Lu Tang's daughter, Sun Jian Yun, is included. She recounts that there were many legends about her father - only some true, but one of the things that she did confirm at true was that Sun Lu Tang called them all (the children) home to see and be with him just before passing away. He instructed the family that he was going to leave this plane and that they should let him rest in his meditation posture for at least half an hour after his death after which they could lay him down.

I know there are a number of accounts in various traditions of this phenomenon taking place. This account should by no means should be exclusive to the Tibetan Buddhists.

My link

Very nice.

Part 2

It has been said by Lamas in this tradition, that the heart center stays warm during this process. The attending monks can feel this and when the warmth is diminished, then the meditation is complete. No mention was made of this.

Yogis (Meditators) of all traditions attain this. Even controversial figures such as Muktananda attained this chest warmth and elongated after death body elasticity. Famous yogis' in the Hindu tradition are not cremated. They are buried in full lotus and a Mahasamadhi shrine is built around them and the energy in these shrines are very powerful as the body of great yogis buried beneath the temple emanate this continuous presence. :)

My link

Excellent videos.

In Pure Land Buddhism also, there are numerous accounts of the prediction of one's physical passing, normally in a meditative pose :

'Ven. Master Chin Kung has often told the following story to encourage us in our practice. The story was told to him by an older practitioner, Mrs. Gan, in 1984.

“Mrs. Gan had a relative, an elderly lady who had lived in San Francisco. This relative helped her son and daughter-in-law with the housework and took care of their children.

After several years, when the grandchildren had grown older and were attending elementary school, she had more time to herself. With this extra time, she was able to practice nianfo every day without interruption. Nobody knew about this. On the day she passed away, people discovered how much she had achieved in her cultivation. She passed away at night. In the morning, when her son and daughter-in-law went to her room to see why she was not yet up, they found her dead, sitting cross-legged on the bed.

They also found a will on the bed telling them how to arrange her funeral. There were even mourning clothes, which she had personally made for everyone, on the bed. She was a true practitioner, but nobody knew this when she was alive.

This elderly lady had no karmic obstacles. She knew when she would pass away. She performed her daily routine as usual and passed away without suffering from any illness. She passed away with ease and freedom. The elderly lady had achieved in her practice, so she had no obstacles.”

Videos of another passing

Edited by adept

Sign in to follow this