Sign in to follow this  
Marblehead

[TTC Study] Chapter 43 of the Tao Teh Ching

I've not read it but I am not unaware of what is going on.

What my country has been doing for the past twenty years is not what I served to protect.

Were I of military service age today I am very sure I would not be serving. There is no way I can justify what my government is doing. I did serve in Vietnam but I did not approve of what we were doing. And I served proudly while privately expressing myself as to how wrong I felt the war in Vietman was.

in all fairness to amateur translators with sub-par english their "translations" make as much sense as those "professional" ones, i . e - none.

both of them have no clue whatsoever

天下之至柔,馳騁天下之至堅.

do they have any idea that the first line means smth like "in order to completely subdue the country - the punitive expeditions must be executed with extreme prejudice"?

no they dont.

Extreme prejudice...???

No, it is not if one interpret it correctly.

Proper translation:

1. 天下之至柔,

1. The softest in the world,

2. 馳騁天下之至堅.

2. subdues the hardest in the world.

I found interesting parallels here to the behavior of water and sub-atomic particles. I found my self somewhat at a loss to describe how this relates to daily life. I was not able to find examples where non-action allowed entry where action would not have. Does anyone have examples?

Thanks,

Joel Stottlemire, author

http://understandingtao.blogspot.com/

Applying this principle to daily life:

When you are being insulted by someone with words, you did not return with any verbal exchange. The counterpart will loose interest to continue with any further action. Indeed, your Wu Wei manner might have prevented to provoke a violent action which might be initiated by the other.

Being silent was the resemblance of the softness, abusive action was the hardness. Silence subdues the violence is analogous to softness subdues the hardness in the world.

Edited by ChiDragon

Sign in to follow this