Sign in to follow this  
markern

Feel good after getting hit in martial arts

So I had my first Krav Maga class today. My first martial arts class since I was 8 years old. Some of the stuff we did hurt quite a lot but not long after it felt good. I think this was because of endorphins being released. Is this normal? I actually felt like getting a bit more pain to up the endorphin effect.

Is this normal?

Yes.

I actually felt like getting a bit more pain to up the endorphin effect.

Well, up to a point :D

I've just recently got into a situation where I'm doing a bit more 2 person practice. I can certainly vouch for the sense of aliveness which comes from drilling in this way. It's one of the reasons that I have been looking for a more martial approach. I can spend as much time as I like doing chi gung and tai chi form and convince myself that I'm all relaxed and serene etc. How much of that I can hold onto when someone is trying to smack me (even good naturedly) is more of a measure of where I'm really at.

Cheers

Rob

So I had my first Krav Maga class today. My first martial arts class since I was 8 years old. Some of the stuff we did hurt quite a lot but not long after it felt good. I think this was because of endorphins being released. Is this normal? I actually felt like getting a bit more pain to up the endorphin effect.

Hell yes!

Woot!

yeah, it's pretty normal.

Just pay attention to train your body to stand that. Especially if that day you're not fit as usual (little sleep, bad food, etc.) avoid to being hit too hard otherwise you'll injure your body.

On the contrary, if you condition your body properly, you can be hit even harder.

You have to understand these boundaries yourself, always follow what your master says and listen to your body.

Enjoy :)

I have a new chap in class from England. He was somewhat shocked to see the level of contact that I use in training. I have to admit I borrow from the Systema principle of assume the worst and then layer back up to the best.

As a practical example: With your partner start out with push-punches, focusing on "pushing" through the core of the partner with your fist. The recipient is observing their own body's reaction whilst the pusher is focusing on correct body structure for greatest force, correct placements of the fists and the right angles to send the force through the core of the partner. The push-puncher is trying to break the structure of the partner, forcing them to step.

Drill this for 5-10 minutes swapping over roles. To progress the drill the recipient, once they understand how the body reacts naturally to the push, can start to resolve the push-punch by marginally beating the push ... they are still taking contact but the force no longer reaches the core of the body.

To progress, or layer up, the drill even further the recipient can then start to "clean up" with the hands ... again the fist still can make some contact, but the recipient is using both body movement and simple hand movements to "brush off" the incoming attack.

Of course, once both partners feel confident with each other's skill, instead of push-punching the attacker can start dropping in proper punches gradually building in speed and power.

So the layers are:

~ Assume the worst that you are going to get hit unawares, use body movement to minimise damage (i.e. deflecting force away from internal organs if possible)

~ Getting hit but you just saw it coming, use body movement to minimise damage use hands/arms to deflect away as much of the force as possible

~ Getting hit but you are ready for it, use body movement and hands to deflect attack and position for counter

For the Taiji players, with experienced partners this ends up like a full body, free-form push hands that uses the whole body. Give it a try, you will see your form come to life spontaneously as you train ;)

Sign in to follow this