Sign in to follow this  
MassTaoism

What kind of Taoist do you believe yourself to be?

What kind of Taoist do you consider yourself to be?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of Taoist do you consider yourself to be?

• Taoist Master - Someone who believes they have 100% knowledge of The Way.
    • Taoist Priest - Someone who feels they are immersed enough with The Way that they can teach others.
    • Taoist Follower - Someone who is highly involved with The Way and uses it's knowledge everyday despite still learning.
    • Taoist Journeyman - Someone who's still learning and is trying their hardest to live a lifestyle in accordance with The Way.
    • Taoist Initiate - A new follower of Taoism and someone who is eager to learn and grow with The Way through learning and listening.
    • Curious about Taoism, but have yet to follow The Way.

In an attempt to learn more about the members of our great little forum here, I was wondering as to what kind of Taoist you feel you are and where you would place yourself and your knowledge/connection to The Way and Taoism as a whole? I'm sure some of you have been a devout Taoist for decades while some of us have only started down the path to enlightment, so I would imagine that the answers for this poll will be quite diverse and I'm looking forward to reading them, but please be honest in your answers so that others know who to seek out for further knowledge and discussion for topics relative to Taoism.

Personally, I think I would fall under Taoist Initiate because I have just started to get involved and still have a lot to learn of The Way and Taoism as a whole. I'm eager to learn and am even thinking about visiting some temples to seek out further guidence from those who may be willing to teach, I know of a temple in MA and one in CT that I could (and probably will) visit, so that's kind of exciting to me.

Well, I look forward to reading your answers to the poll. Happy voting!

Edited by MassTaoism

Hi Mass Taoism,

Although you thread is a worthy topic I doubt you will get many responses as one very similar to this ran its course a couple months ago.

For myself, I am a Philosophical Taoist. Taoist philosophy is the root of my conduct in life. The principles being the guideposts along my journey.

Marblehead, could you drop me a link to that thread that took place a couple of months ago? It would be greatly appreciated.

Wow, 7 votes for Taoist Follower and 3 votes so far for Taoist Initiate, this is good information for people who may want to seek someone with more knowledge of The Way and Taoism as a whole for guidence or information. Keep it up guys!

I've ordered a couple of books on Taoism today and I'm reading every last piece on information I can so I hope to someday not feel like an Initiate, I really want to grow with this way of life and like many have told me in the past, "you only get out of it what you put into it".

Edited by MassTaoism

Hi Mass Taoism,

Although you thread is a worthy topic I doubt you will get many responses as one very similar to this ran its course a couple months ago.

For myself, I am a Philosophical Taoist. Taoist philosophy is the root of my conduct in life. The principles being the guideposts along my journey.

Hey but what's the harm? We all Progress right?

Maybe a thread like this will be a good marker for said Progress.

Neichuan

The poll is slanted and will never get most members to respond. You need choices for non-Taoist seeking and why they consider that label. In the end, you are asking about a label which is man-made.

Hi Mass Taoism,

Hmm let me see ... gotta be around here somewhere ... ah yes:

What type of Daoist are you? -- Part 1

What type of Daoist are you? -- Part 2

Hehehe

:D

Hey but what's the harm? We all Progress right?

Maybe a thread like this will be a good marker for said Progress.

Neichuan

I just posted to this but the post got lost in space.

Your comments are valid and appropriate. Thanks.

MassTaoism - your name says it all. we are but One of the 10,000 things, and we are the great manifester as well. I'm thinking the strata is reinforces the illusion of separation from each other and from the One.

Don't know how to slot myself. I think I know enough about the unsayable Tao to know the sayable Tao (in most of its translations) is an excellent though somewhat outdated message. And he who studies it should also study other messages as well.

I think once I've read enough material and have spent enough time living these values then I could promote myself to another level, I just feel like I have so much learning to do before I believe myself to be anything other than an initiate. Anyone know any other books other than Tao Te Ching that I should be reading to become one with The Way? I'm open to pretty much anything....

I think once I've read enough material and have spent enough time living these values then I could promote myself to another level, I just feel like I have so much learning to do before I believe myself to be anything other than an initiate. Anyone know any other books other than Tao Te Ching that I should be reading to become one with The Way? I'm open to pretty much anything....

Chuang Tzu comes highly recommended. The I Ching would be a good read too.

Try not to worry about what you believe yourself to be, or where you perceive your place is on the journey. Any hierarchy is a purely mental construct - just enjoy the journey for what it is. You'll never stop learning, so there's no rush to finish.

Just my opinion, of course. :)

IMO this discussion calls for reexamining a number of chapters of the TTC - chapters 5, 17 and 56 spring to mind, but there may be others, too.

I'm certainly an iniciate because I'm still studying and learning from Masters on this site and other sites.

Since I don't know you and your learning style I can only guess. If you are inclined toward making total commitments to a cause, stick with the Tao only for a while, but bear in mind it is not an only truth, but only an aspect. If you are an independent thinker and can handle ambiguity look also at "Be Here Now" by Ram Das, and the Carlos Castaneda series, starting with the first book. Allow both the similarities AND the differences of the approaches to tumble around your mind, without need to decide which is true and which isn't. Whichever, have fun and enjoy the magical accidents.

• Like 1

Thank you Stan, maybe once I feel I've reached a level I'm comfortable with as I pertains to The Way I may go ahead and check out those books you recommended.

As for the poll, 21 people have voted so far! Wow! Keep it up dear friends. :)

I think after a little more reading and some more studying both on here and through books I will be able to consider myself a Taoist Journeyman, I feel as if I'm learning more and more everyday and that the meditiation is helping me and cleansing me in ways I can't really explain. But then again, nobody can really explain the Dao....

Sign in to follow this