exorcist_1699

28 meter height, gold -plated Laotze Statue

It is reported that recently a 28 meter height ,60 tons weight , gold-plated statue of Laotze is built in Henan province of China in celebration of the 2,582th birth day of the great thinker .The cost of building this status is around 2 million USD dollars. 33 kg of gold is said to be used .

post-1721-130866963495_thumb.jpg

Edited by exorcist_1699
  • Like 1

I can see 2 million USD being invested in much better way in China for the people in need.It could make a massive difference if done properly.

33 kg of gold ?Lets dig up the earth even more and make pretty things to admire.It is like peeing in ones own living room.Actually much worst.

I prefer invisable statues made out of common sense.

• Like 3

It gets worse. They might be underestimating the cost. 33 kilograms (1,164 oz) of gold would be about $16 million. edit it might use 'just' 3.3 kilograms, gold spreads well.

It totally ignores LaoTze's teaching. A large inexpensive stone statue would last a long time and not need men to guard it. Making it shiny and valuable means paradoxically its lesser creation.

Edited by thelerner

It totally ignores LaoTze's teaching. A large inexpensive stone statue would last a long time and not need men to guard it. Making it shiny and valuable means paradoxically its lesser creation.

lol :closedeyes: so true.

On the positive, it might loosen things up a bit in China if this means that his teachings are being more recognized. Maybe the Wen Tzu and Tao of Politics will find their way to the presidential bedside?

2,582th birth day
Lol, what's so special about his 2582 B-Day?

And all I know is that if that thing were built here...it would have been entirely scraped clean of gold by the next morning!!! But gold-plated statues are probably just not a good idea anywhere... :lol:

0023ae73cfef0d5b36bd02.jpg

Golden_Maitreya_Statue_at_Beopjusa.jpg

27682b8b2fad4f10734321616f89_grande.jpgmajor-monuments+-world-39.jpg

Edited by vortex

It gets worse. They might be underestimating the cost. 33 kilograms (1,164 oz) of gold would be about $16 million. edit it might use 'just' 3.3 kilograms, gold spreads well.

Are you surprised?

There are super churches all over the US.

The statue is now put at LingBao, a place of an old fortress where Laotze was detained by a government officer to write his Tao Te Jing down 2,500 years ago before his leave of China towards the west..

Criticisms say that by doing so only the local tourist industry will benefit, not the spirit of Laotze.

Are you surprised?

There are super churches all over the US.

True.. they save us from all the evil villain churches. B)

In Europe the Churches are the museums. They're incredible in art and history. Even being Jewish I've picked up the habit of visiting large ornate Churches in whatever town I'm visiting. The artistry is often amazing. Plus places of worship often have a good vibe. A good church has some sacred geometry built into its architecture.

So despite the blasphemy, the 28 meter statue of LaoTzu could do some good. Least it's not posing flexing his muscles :).

Edited by thelerner