Sign in to follow this  
Immortal4life

Still the sickest music, in any decade

Then what is it if it's not music?

It takes a lot of talent, resourcefulness, versatility, consistency, and adaptibility to have stayed on top for so long.

It's Jazz, it's Funk, it's Soul, it's Rock n Roll. That's Hip Hop, and it ain't dead yet.

It's trash.

Just the way I feel about it.

I really don't care how many people enjoy it, it is still trash.

Perhaps one could look at the state of mind of those who enjoy it?

• Like 3

It's trash.

Just the way I feel about it.

I really don't care how many people enjoy it, it is still trash.

Perhaps one could look at the state of mind of those who enjoy it?

I'm fine thanks for asking. :lol:

P.S. I like your Carla Thomas too.

I'm fine thanks for asking. :lol:

P.S. I like your Carla Thomas too.

Hehehe. Sometimes I get a little over-reactive.

Yeah, Carla was one of the 'greats' of soul music.

Hey Center! Are you trying to intentionally torture me??

That is worse than when I was a POW in Vietnam!!!

(No, I was really never a POW. I was too fast for them to catch me.)

I'm glad you weren't a POW, Marblehead.

Just sharing things I like...although it's sorta funny to me if it tortures you. :lol: I think it's possible for a person to learn to appreciate any kind of music (especially if they are paying close enough attention to it)...it's about growth and expanding what is enjoyable to us.

But it's all good for you to only like what you like.

I'm glad you weren't a POW, Marblehead.

Just sharing things I like...although it's sorta funny to me if it tortures you. :lol: I think it's possible for a person to learn to appreciate any kind of music (especially if they are paying close enough attention to it)...it's about growth and expanding what is enjoyable to us.

But it's all good for you to only like what you like.

Hehehe. Actually, I did pay attention to the music when RAP and HipHop first became popular. It didn't take me long to realize that they weren't talking to me but rather to folks their own age going through the same trying times that they were going through.

I realize that the music (I use that term loosely) is saying something for some people so in that regarded I suppose it is good.

Well, part of what I meant by paying attention is finding out what goes into making this kind of music.

It's hard to write lyrics, and it's also hard to make them sound good. It's hard to produce beats and sample things in the first place, and then to make it sound good is even harder. Believe me, I've tried these things...it's much easier to write a song on guitar and sing.

Another way of paying attention is seeing how not all of the lyrics are about the hard times these people are going through...sometimes there are really inspired words...sometimes dealing with a lot of diverse topics all in one song, which can be interesting to research.

For instance, Wu Tang Clan's lyrics often deal with this philosophical/spiritual group called 5 percenters or The Nation of Gods and Earths (in addition to others things). Most people don't know about these ideas, and when they listen all they hear is "muthafucka" and "murda" etc.

So exploring that deeply into the lyrics is one example of paying attention.

Not a big deal if people don't care to. I'm just saying...there are diverse and interesting ideas within hip hop, and more to it than what's apparent at first glance (like all things in life).

WoW! You leave my with little to reply with.

I have a friend on another forum who periodically tries to convince me that if I only took the time to understand Jazz music I would have a better appreciation of that form.

My problem is that there are so many music styles that I intuitively enjoy I just don't have the time to listen to styles I don't intuitively enjoy.

I tried to follow Country music but they lost me. I tried to follow Rock music but they lost me in the late 1970's.

Times change, cultures change, music changes. But some cultures remain true to their origins and some music remains true to its origins. The Soul music of the 1960s can occasionally be heard in today's style that is called Rhythm & Blues. But today's R&B is not the R&B of the 1940s and 50s.

Most of the music I listen to is from the 'way-back' times. I was a teenager when Elvis recorded his first record.

Anyhow, I suppose I will always be critical of RAP and HipHop music but that doesn't take anything away from it for the people who enjoy it.

I suppose you wouldn't care much for my traditional Cajun music collection (mostly sung in French). Hehehe.

So when did hip hop start? late 70s? early 80s?

naw naw naw. check THIS out!

Pigmeat Markham - Here Comes The Judge + The Trial - 1968, Chess Records [Chicago Blues label]

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness
  • Like 1

Heard this guy speaking in an interview today, and thought what he had to say to was pertinent...

"I think there's something really interesting about our music; our language relative to these other languages. I mean, we've completely cast off certain conventions like: thematic development, or polyphony, or tonality especially, for many years...you know, major and minor tonality. Like, all of this stuff is kind of consistent across these disparate musical moments, and then all of a sudden you come to this moment and it's just four chords repeated over and over again or whatever. And I think that might have to do perhaps with power...with the state...with what we're subject to. Power has sunk its fingers into human beings...into art, into thought...in a deeper way than it ever has before. It names so much more. But my wager is that 'human being' continues to exist after the triumph of the spectacle, and it's our task to share the experience of being here now, under this cloud, controlled in the ways that we are. We can still speak, I think."

-John Maus (a crappy music artist)

Anyway, here's a random video to torture Marblehead!

Thanks Scotty. (The video was horrible but I did manage 1.5 minutes of it.)

There is some validity in that article, I think.

Sorry. The man is living in the past. He missed the revolution. It happened in the 1960s and Aretha Franklin sang about it but in a very artistic way.

Sign in to follow this