shibumi0

Hello

Hello - this seems like a great forum with some pretty solid characters and knowledge.

Quick question - I'm looking for a seated meditation technique - is there some place on this site that provides instruction or techniques?

Been meditating for approximately 12 years now - first with a zazen style then with an offshoot of TM. The similar-to-tm method was initially good and seemed to free up some stress - however it started making me spacey,depressed and anxious - very much the opposite of my normal personality.

Thanks - and any assistance would be appreciated.

Shibumi

Can you let us know how did you meditate before....???

I started with a seated meditation,using the breath,eyes open sitting seiza. Then I started doing an offshoot of tm that uses a mantra to 'transcend'.

I started with a seated meditation,using the breath,eyes open sitting seiza. Then I started doing an offshoot of tm that uses a mantra to 'transcend'.

Eyes open sitting seiza, this is something new to me in meditation....!!!

How were you taught in doing your breathing....???

Eyes open sitting seiza, this is something new to me in meditation....!!!

How were you taught in doing your breathing....???

huh?

That's pretty standard zazen - except I couldn't sit full lotus so I sat in seiza.

Anyway - I've been browsing through the site - but my question remains - is there a section or definitive post that newbies can learn seated meditation techniques in the style favored by this board?

cheers,

S

Hello - this seems like a great forum with some pretty solid characters and knowledge.

Quick question - I'm looking for a seated meditation technique - is there some place on this site that provides instruction or techniques?

Been meditating for approximately 12 years now - first with a zazen style then with an offshoot of TM. The similar-to-tm method was initially good and seemed to free up some stress - however it started making me spacey,depressed and anxious - very much the opposite of my normal personality.

Thanks - and any assistance would be appreciated.

Shibumi

If you had done sazen for 12 years and did not accomplish what you had intended, I see something is not right there.

1. May I ask what is the purpose of meditation...???

2. What is your purpose of meditation...???

The reason that I ask those questions is because one need to understand what is the final goal of meditation, physically and mentally. It seems to me that you want to release some stress. Let me tell you this, it is not by just doing the zazen will help you to release all the stress. It's a lot more than that in meditation that one need to understand. I wouldn't recommend that you should be looking into a method at random. Instead, you should know more about what is the purpose of meditation and why you want to do it. Therefore, you must do it within your heart because not knowing the purpose and your purpose of meditation will lead you nowhere.

Remember, sitting alone will not help you. You must learn how to breathe while doing meditation.

Why don't you read this to get a rough idea.

Taoist Meditation

If you had done sazen for 12 years and did not accomplish what you had intended, I see something is not right there.

1. May I ask what is the purpose of meditation...???

2. What is your purpose of meditation...???

The reason that I ask those questions is because one need to understand what is the final goal of meditation, physically and mentally. It seems to me that you want to release some stress. Let me tell you this, it is not by just doing the zazen will help you to release all the stress. It's a lot more than that in meditation that one need to understand. I wouldn't recommend that you should be looking into a method at random. Instead, you should know more about what is the purpose of meditation and why you want to do it. Therefore, you must do it within your heart because not knowing the purpose and your purpose of meditation will lead you nowhere.

Remember, sitting alone will not help you. You must learn how to breathe while doing meditation.

Why don't you read this to get a rough idea.

Taoist Meditation

As per my original post - I started with zazen (which includes breathwork)but moved on to a style which was an offshoot of TM (mantra/transcending). I've been doing the latter for approximately 5 years. It met my goals initially but has since caused spaciness and other negative symptoms. Thanks for the link.

As per my original post - I started with zazen (which includes breathwork)but moved on to a style which was an offshoot of TM (mantra/transcending). I've been doing the latter for approximately 5 years. It met my goals initially but has since caused spaciness and other negative symptoms. Thanks for the link.

You welcome. Let's concentrate on your breathing. When you breathe, how far did your breath go down inside you...??? Another word, your breath reached your throat, chest or abdomen...???

Can you be more elaborate on what do you mean by "caused spaciness and other negative symptoms"...??? Thank you.