Hi everyone,

I've been practicing FP chi kung volumes 1-3 diligently for almost 5 months now and I'm noticing some positive results, but not as much as I would like from practicing 2 hours a day.

I think it's time to incorporate some form of nei kung into my daily routine (I just to the 5 tibetan rites and the chi kung for now).

Where should I begin? I've heard and read about the microcosmic orbit but I'm very cautious about what to approach first. I read the celestial nei kung thread but am again unsure if that's what I should begin with. There is so much out there. Would simple meditation do the trick? FWIW, I have zero ability to visualize (create images in my head) but I'm able to move and direct energy within myself if it's there, so I was leaning towards the MCO but I wanted your guys opinions on this. I have been doing guided chakra meditations for years now on and off but never got anything useful out of doing that....

I believe inner alchemy is all that is needed.

Whether basic of advanced. I would just meditate with a light focus on my dan tien, try not to use your chest or ribs at all, and let your shoulders down, relax.

Hope I helped.

Neichuan

Start here.

Isn't that standing meditation? I'm not sure which category that belongs too.

Anyway, was it you who tried Yi Gong / Kunlun? I would call that neigong.

Also you could try Gift of the Tao, which Michael Lomax also calls neigong.

What NeiChuan said could also work but I don't have any long experience with it.

Isn't that standing meditation? I'm not sure which category that belongs too.

Anyway, was it you who tried Yi Gong / Kunlun? I would call that neigong.

Also you could try Gift of the Tao, which Michael Lomax also calls neigong.

What NeiChuan said could also work but I don't have any long experience with it.

Haven't done kunlun myself. But there are plenty of benefits to constructing and forming the dan tien, rather than just putting energy there.

Sounds like the best bet to me.

Neichuan.

Hi everyone,

I've been practicing FP chi kung volumes 1-3 diligently for almost 5 months now and I'm noticing some positive results, but not as much as I would like from practicing 2 hours a day.

I think it's time to incorporate some form of nei kung into my daily routine (I just to the 5 tibetan rites and the chi kung for now).

Where should I begin? I've heard and read about the microcosmic orbit but I'm very cautious about what to approach first. I read the celestial nei kung thread but am again unsure if that's what I should begin with. There is so much out there. Would simple meditation do the trick? FWIW, I have zero ability to visualize (create images in my head) but I'm able to move and direct energy within myself if it's there, so I was leaning towards the MCO but I wanted your guys opinions on this. I have been doing guided chakra meditations for years now on and off but never got anything useful out of doing that....

Are we clearly on the definition of Nei Kung...???

Nei Kung is general term applies to any form of internal cultivation. Any form of Chi Kung was considered to be a form of Nei Kung.

Are we clearly on the definition of Nei Kung...???

Nei Kung is general term applies to any form of internal cultivation. Any form of Chi Kung was considered to be a form of Nei Kung.

He's right essentially. I believe before the 1920's chi kung was also called Nei Kung.

The orbit is best approached, imo, by doing physical movements (moving qigong) that result in orbit opening. Meditating the orbit open, imo, is problematic. Also, the orbit should be viewed in the more balanced and broader context of opening all of the channels (12 regular + 8 extraordinary). The Profound Transformations take place along the central channel (sushumna).

My favorite "this is it!!!" practice these days is Sifu Matsuo's "Kwan Yin Magnetic Qigong". It is very effective, very accessable, yet puts you in the neighborhood where the completion practices occur. Very harmonizing. Develops your hand energetics in a fun and simple way. Principled, wise, balanced presentation. Available through DragonGateSanctuary.com. :)

_/\_

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I would not recommend forced MCO opening, IMO it is better to open naturally.

The Gift of the Tao Movements are highly energetic and are a good neigong system. Currently there is only Gift of Tao I on DVD but I teach Gift of the Tao II at my workshops and will at some point release them on DVD.

I've had two people recommend me so far "The book of nei kung".

After reading the reviews- it seems to be mostly strenuous physical exercises. From what I understand (probably incorrectly) is that nei kung is mostly meditative exercises... or do I have it mistken with nei dan?

Now... IF I have this mistaken with nei dan.... what would you guys recommend for that?

Or better yet- what's the most complementary thing I can do to my chi kung practice? I have read the celestial nei kung thread and it says the practice greatly amplifies the energetic effects of other practices- which is what I am looking for. I'd also like to be able to calm my monkey mind a bit.

And to answer the previous poster- yes, I practice two hours a day and miss at most 1 day per week.

Cheers and thanks to all :)

Hi everyone,

What are your expectations from your practice? Choosing the correct method for what you want is important.

Meditative? Spiritual? Martial? Health? All or some? To what ratio?

All of these questions, and the ratio, are important.

How much time and effort, over how many years, are you willing or able to put in? Are you prepared to see things through or are you likely to jump between practices when the mood takes you? Can you 'eat bitter' and perhaps more importantly do you have the patience to see something through? It isn't wrong to change what isn't working, but is that change because it just isn't right for you, or because you are bored and/or impatient?

I'm not judging you here but rather listing the thoughts and issues that I have had to ask myself, and still do, over the years. I've tried different methods and have questioned plenty of times what I do now. I have also had to contend with the 'end of the rainbow' mentality (chasing that 'pot of gold' 'perfect' method).

One of the problems with choice is that it leads to confusion, indulgence and often dabbling. Just wanting an overview is fine, but to gain depth takes years and years of work and many hours over those years.

In matters of energy work, mixing practices should not be done lightly, or without a solid understanding of what is being done.

One final point, which is worth repeating due to the continued confusion out there is this. 'Qigong' is the term chosen by the Chinese government in 1949 to act as a catch-all title for different practices. That would include what different schools call 'neigong' (each school having its own particular meaning and method in using the name-they don't all claim it does the same thing). Prior to this, different families and schools used various different names. Qigong was chosen so that there would be less confusion. Some schools still use the traditional name, but they also use the term qigong. This is detailed in the book 'Qigong Fever', and the relevant parts can actually be read online with 'google books'. The various claims otherwise simply do not fit with the facts.

To give an analogy. Athletics covers numerous disciplines. Each of these disciplines has its own particular name and method of practice. All of them though can be grouped under the term 'athletics'. Qigong is similar, though not as diversified.

I know that Bruce Kumar Frantzis has claimed that qigong comes from neigong (before anyone tries to jump in here and tell me what Bruce has or has not said, I've been reading his interviews and articles-and those of his students-since the 1980's. I am quite familiar with what has been claimed over the years-and this is not a criticism of BKF or his methods). Perhaps in some cases it is true, but equally there are 'qigong' methods that came from other traditional methods that never used the term 'neigong'. There are simplified methods that work very well for people that are just looking for exercise and a means of maintaining good health. Nothing at all wrong with that, and I see people doing these methods in the garden areas around my apartment each morning.

In short, pick the method that is best suited to you. Do not get tied up in the 'name'. The purpose and result are what count.

• Like 3

I've had two people recommend me so far "The book of nei kung".

After reading the reviews- it seems to be mostly strenuous physical exercises. From what I understand (probably incorrectly) is that nei kung is mostly meditative exercises... or do I have it mistken with nei dan?

Now... IF I have this mistaken with nei dan.... what would you guys recommend for that?

Or better yet- what's the most complementary thing I can do to my chi kung practice?

Hi Audiohealing. I wouldn't get too hung up on the terms such as qigong, neigong (nei kung).

Different teachers use these terms in different ways. Neigong could be strictly sitting meditation

or movement or standing or it could be a combination of moving, sitting, standing. Different teachers teach

different things and different methods.

I haven't done the movements in the "The book of nei kung", but strenuous is a subjective thing.

Having to stretch and turn and bend in different ways can be strenuous in a sense,

but if it is neigong it is all likely done in a completely relaxed way. I recall one user here said he got

good results with this set of exercises. Results may not come right away however in any practice.

Everyone's makeup and system is different so for some it takes longer than others. Persistence and naturalness is the key. Progress will come at its own natural rate.

I am finding that a combined approach of sitting, standing, and movement forms is a good balanced approach although one certainly can get good results with just focusing on any one of these as well. Doing all three

takes more commitment in time but does seem to be balancing things out more for me in the long run. They are all complimentary depending on which specific practices of each type you are doing. If all are done relaxed and naturally, without forced breathing and forced concentration or deliberately trying to guide or direct energy and such, then any of these practices should not be too unbalancing. Doing all three seems to balance things out even more however. :)

Edited by The Way Is Virtue
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the replies guys- I really appreciate it!

I'd just like to clarify my primary cultivation goals in order of priority:

1- Balance my emotions, gain more joy and happiness through everyday living and get a grip on my "monkey mind".

2- Build my energy body and chi reserve so I can heal myself and others.

3- Enhance my intelligence, creativity and virility.

4- Wean myself off of my medication (tied to #2).

So from my understanding, chi kung is good for circulating chi and neidan/meditation for *building* up the reserve of chi. What I'm interested in is building up the reserve. I'm not interested in astral travel or any of the "going somewhere else" modalities... although from reading the celestian nei kung thread the shamanic aspect seems incredibly interesting. I just want the quiet and the void. Peace within the emptiness.

• Like 1

1- Balance my emotions, gain more joy and happiness through everyday living and get a grip on my "monkey mind".

So from my understanding, chi kung is good for circulating chi and neidan/meditation for *building* up the reserve of chi. What I'm interested in is building up the reserve. I'm not interested in astral travel or any of the "going somewhere else" modalities... although from reading the celestian nei kung thread the shamanic aspect seems incredibly interesting. I just want the quiet and the void. Peace within the emptiness.

If you want to learn how to heal others then you should look at a medical qigong program. There are several teachers that offer a complete medical qigong certification program.

Simple meditation is an excellent way to learn to control the "monkey mind", it should be done daily.

-Chi-Gung complemented with meditation has been very effective for me and i think would help you with all of your goals. Find a good system for you and use it, though like anything it takes time.

-Good Luck