steve

Wounded Knee

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Just watched Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee

You don't sound happy about it lol. What didn't you like?

You don't sound happy about it lol. What didn't you like?

Genocide...

It breaks my heart.

There just aren't enough tears

But I guess it's just clinging to something that is gone.

Life is change, huh?

• Like 1

steve,

yeah i watched that when i was 13, all those types of movies/

dances with wolves, and not just with the native american indians but with all peoples.

and on all continents ,why and how can this happen?

and it continues today :( where will it strike next?

whether it is called genocide or ethnic cleansing or culling the herd.

it is a terrible sickness. and folks wonder why i withdraw away from society as i do.

I know exactly what you mean, Steve. I watched that again not too long ago and my heart was heavy for days.

The singing group Walela (Rita Coolidge being one of the singers) sings beautiful N/A chants, gentle music, just awesome. One of their most beautiful songs is 'Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee'. I'll bet you'd really love this CD.

Interesting. They start out all their albums with the same sung chant:

'Is Everybody here?

Has everybody got a place to hide?

Is everybody safe..

And warm inside?'

Edited by manitou

I know exactly what you mean, Steve. I watched that again not too long ago and my heart was heavy for days.

The singing group Walela (Rita Coolidge being one of the singers) sings beautiful N/A chants, gentle music, just awesome. One of their most beautiful songs is 'Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee'. I'll bet you'd really love this CD.

Interesting. They start out all their albums with the same sung chant:

'Is Everybody here?

Has everybody got a place to hide?

Is everybody safe..

And warm inside?'

I'll definitely check out Walela - thanks

I get it.

I've mentioned that I've been watching a bunch of historical documentaries lately: the Holocaust, Hiroshima, the fire bombing of Germany, etc.

It is heavy stuff and painful to bear, afterwards. But I also recognize that I had previously been avoiding these subjects, and hence choosing ignorance about not only what happened, but how people believe and choose awful things. How else will I learn about the worst of me, prior to actually being in the situation that draws it out?

I applaud your willingness to suffer a bit, in order to gain that perspective.

Edited by Otis

Watching movies about slavery, or the deceit and genocide towards Native Americans serves to remind me that this is the nature of remorselessly greedy people. The attitudes are still around. They never stopped until they had no choice or until they got what they wanted. This is the system. It really doesn't care who you are so long as it wants something. The middle classes don't see this face of the beast and so they're easily duped to let it feed off of society while it claims moral superiority.

One only need look at the fact that Americans couldn't feed a slave for less than 5 dollars a day, and yet American companies don't even pay that much in off shore sweat shop labour (Haitian Disney employees were fighting to raise their wage to 50 cents a day when Aristide got kidnapped and forced to resign by foreign governments, according to an A&E documentary on Aristide).

We think these actions came from antiquated values and beliefs. The same thing is still going on. They're just smart enough to keep it out of sight out of mind now. Once the power to exploit is threatened again, we'll see how much it cares who needs to be removed. The game is and always will be played. These people know the power game better than Sun Tzu. It's way more advanced now with developments in crowd psychology, mass communication controls, propaganda and image manipulation.

Every power move is nothing but a chess game. Few people realize what's happened to them even when the game is over.

• Like 1

There is something inside me that is just bamboozled and really bothered by the fact that people on the other side of the earth (and here as well, poverty is just so much more apparent in other countries) have to suffer as much as they do. Living in a horrible desert with no natural resources other than oil (just look at the natural resources of the US)....living under the conditions of a suppressive regime and being shot for expressing your opinion in the streets.....living with such abject poverty that babies' stomachs are distended from starvation.....

The only thing that I can devise that allows me to live with this - the guilt of being so very fortunate to be born here - is that perhaps reincarnation explains the unfairness of all this. I'm only hoping this is the case - that I was once a child with a distended stomach, that I too ran around shoeless in a dirty street (actually, I have a recurring 'vision' of my own legs and feet as a child, being in a dirty street or someplace, only my skin is brown, not white). I just can't stand thinking things are so unfair; everything depending upon which continent one happened to be born on.

The slavery issue drives me crazy. We (our ancestors, but after all, time is an illusion) kidnap people off their own continent, chain them in the hold of a ship where they're awash in their own vomit, buy and sell them like livestock, and then make them perform backbreaking labor to build this nation up. Oh my God. Do we honestly think we have no national karma coming as a result of this? Every single thing that we are today stems from the backs of those unfortunate souls that were forced away from their families and their land.

And our karma is manifesting today, apparently. It was greed and hard-heartedness that caused the slavery situation, and it appears that we have created our own downward-pulling economy largely because of it. Here we are, 200+ years later, and way too many of the slave's descendants are still stuck in the master/slave relationship via the welfare system and their own 'belief' that they're not worth much. Well, what the heck did we expect? Can we not see the cause and effect of this? I apologize if I'm being too politically incorrect here, but it just gets my goat.

And don't even get me started on the Native Americans and the smallpox-laden blankets we issued to them.

• Like 1

And our karma is manifesting today, apparently. It was greed and hard-heartedness that caused the slavery situation, and it appears that we have created our own downward-pulling economy largely because of it. Here we are, 200+ years later, and way too many of the slave's descendants are still stuck in the master/slave relationship via the welfare system and their own 'belief' that they're not worth much. Well, what the heck did we expect? Can we not see the cause and effect of this? I apologize if I'm being too politically incorrect here, but it just gets my goat.

I think another manifestation of these attitudes is the extreme-conservative/objectivist mentality that business and capital owners, and the rich in general are more deserving of governmental respect than the every day workers. They don't consider that the reason they worked so hard to get there was because its more fulfilling, more creative, and more lucrative than the menial stuff. In other words, the menial jobs are the HARD JOBS. Any job where I got promoted: the job got EASIER, and they usually promoted me because they knew I was so sick of the the HARD shit that I was about to find something else.

Things might fall apart if there was no organizational heads, but those heads are rarely there because they deserve to be. They usually got there by playing ruthless politics and stepping on more deserving people in the process. Then these people and their kids think they're entitled to a bigger and better share than everyone else, while really they're living off the backs of the real contributors who do all the dirty work that makes the economy turn. If the powerful really believed that the hardest worker deserves the most, they would be sitting around awaiting whatever was left over when the day was done.

I think another manifestation of these attitudes is the extreme-conservative/objectivist mentality that business and capital owners, and the rich in general are more deserving of governmental respect than the every day workers. They don't consider that the reason they worked so hard to get there was because its more fulfilling, more creative, and more lucrative than the menial stuff. In other words, the menial jobs are the HARD JOBS. Any job where I got promoted: the job got EASIER, and they usually promoted me because they knew I was so sick of the the HARD shit that I was about to find something else.

The area I live in is rife with Tea-Partiers who are down and out bible-thumpers. Many are Palin-ites. As long as the bubbleheads are mouthing off about America and 'being free' like a mantra, it seems to appeal to these folks. They don't seem to see that they are lackeys for the big corporations, but it's disguised under that stupid mantra and they continually buy into it. Very few real thinkers back here.

And the funny thing about the jobs you describe getting easier and easier, this is true in one sense. But in another sense, those high end jobs have more residual stress attached and it tends to carry over from day to day in the form of worry and anxiety. Where's the worry and anxiety in the man chopping wood and carrying water? He may indeed have some, but it's sure not from his job. The menial jobs are hard, true....but there is a sense of daily completion that is missing in the high end jobs. I think that stress takes its toll over a period of time.

And the funny thing about the jobs you describe getting easier and easier, this is true in one sense. But in another sense, those high end jobs have more residual stress attached and it tends to carry over from day to day in the form of worry and anxiety. Where's the worry and anxiety in the man chopping wood and carrying water? He may indeed have some, but it's sure not from his job. The menial jobs are hard, true....but there is a sense of daily completion that is missing in the high end jobs. I think that stress takes its toll over a period of time.

I think this is so true.

Physical jobs are physically punishing.

Intellectual jobs are psychologically punishing.

And, of course, any boss can be an asshole.

But there is something to be said for a hard day of physical work followed by a cold beer and a re-run of "Kung Fu Hustle"

:lol:

But there is something to be said for a hard day of physical work followed by a cold beer and a re-run of "Kung Fu Hustle"

steve f , you are one cool bum. :D

Kung Fu Hustle is the shizzle!

yup and it probably deserves its own thread. :lol:

We went to see Kung Fu Panda in 3D the other day. That'll get you to the zone too, lol. A surprising amount of Tao in that silly little movie. Of course the evil ruler was a peacock (pride).