Sign in to follow this  
DalTheJigsaw123

A number of European privacy regulators are investigating Facebook’s facial recognition feature amid mounting concern about the technology, which attempts to identify people in photos uploaded to the website.

The social networking site has come under fire from the German, UK and Irish authorities for introducing the feature without permission from users.

“Again Facebook has changed its Privacy Declaration without the users’ consent. I do not think that Facebook’s action does conform to European and German data protection law,” said Peter Schaar, the German commissioner for data protection.

“As with any new technology, we would expect Facebook to be up front about how people’s personal information is being used,” said the UK Information Commissioner’s Office.

“The privacy issues that this new software might raise are obvious, and users should be given as much information as possible to give them the opportunity to make an informed choice about whether they wish to use it.” the office said. “We are speaking to Facebook about the privacy implications of this technology,” it added.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/ffe3edb4-92c8-11e0-bd88-00144feab49a.html#axzz1Opu6KfsB

Edited by LeonBasin

Funny you mention this, Leon. I just closed out the Facebook page I never used anyway today, for that very reason. The facial recognition thing. It just looks like identity theft looking for a place to happen, if you ask me....

Regulators respond to complaints. They're not pro-active. So one can't 'wait' for regulation to take care of everything.

And complaints are always weighed with respect to other forces - like the 'benefits' of having a private outfit do stuff that if governments did then folks would be up in arms. I'm sure each person can think of a few examples.

Funny that some folks seem to think it's the other way around.

Sign in to follow this