ejr1069

How to balance left and right hemispheres of brain?

never tried hemi sync, but there's a method in kundalini yoga known as alternative nostril breathing to balance your left and right sides

• Like 2

Nope. But on the few occasions I've tried listening to various meditative tracks, they were just distracting.

IMO/IME best way to balance is to be silent and still.

There are various activities associated with right and left hemispheres. Practice activities that correlate to each hemisphere in order to strengthen them.

Meditation in my experience has a greater correlation to the right hemisphere.

Anyone tried Hemi Sync meditations? If so, what did you think?

Haven't tried it.

I'm using Sifu Matsuo's Kwan Yin Magnetic Qigong (at DragonGateSanctuary.com). Has half dozen different angles on brain balancing. :)

Hemi-sync uses binaural beats to synchronize brainwaves in both hemispheres of the brain.

You don't need to buy Hemi-sync though if all you're looking for is brain synchronization. There are tons of free binaural beat programs out there, just do a google search and you'll come up with plenty to choose from. You'll need headphones for those.

There's also isochronic and monaural beats. If I remember correctly, isochronic and monaural beats are better at entraining to specific frequencies (alpha, beta, theta, etc.), while binaural beats are more effective at synchronizing the hemispheres.

The very simplest thing you can do is to draw a number eight with an open palmed hand in front of yourself across your core channel, encompassing the region of your ldt and heart centre.

There are lots of forms that work on this principle, but this method, from Donna Eden is the easy to remember, easy to do version.

I enjoy hemi sync a lot.

The Eden exercise if more effective and integratable into life.

The very simplest thing you can do is to draw a number eight with an open palmed hand in front of yourself across your core channel, encompassing the region of your ldt and heart centre.

There are lots of forms that work on this principle, but this method, from Donna Eden is the easy to remember, easy to do version.

I enjoy hemi sync a lot.

This is actually one of the movements from Gift of the Tao :)

This is actually one of the movements from Gift of the Tao :)

ah well! then it needs no further recommendation! :)

Thanks OldGreen.

I enjoy hemi sync a lot.

This exercise and many other good ones can be found in "Brain GYM - Simple Activities for Whole Brain Learning"

by Paul E. Dennison

Published 1986

Highly recommended by yours truly

Edited by mYTHmAKER
  • Like 1

This exercise and many other good ones can be found in "Brain GYM - Simple Activities for Whole Brain Learning"

by Paul E. Dennison

Published 1986

Highly recommended by yours truly

ah well! then it needs no further recommendation! :)

:wub::blink::lol:

Thanks MyYTHmAKER.

Michael Winn has a simple chi gung form on his Fundamental II video. The second (or is it 3rd) movement is called Sun and Moon. The hands go to the right shoulder, you look there. They flow down, to the center, up to the left shoulder, look there.. repeat.

You do this very simple slow movement while feeling chi move up the right side, neutral then up and down, almost through the ground, then left side etc. When I do it, it naturally becomes 'nostril' breathing, like the yogic practice except I don't have to press on a nostril side. Doing the right side, only that side breaths, the whole side, especially the sinus cavities feels energized. Simple motions, but big payoff.

There may be a youtube of it somewhere. Its a great chi gung form.

Minke De Vos of Silent Grounds has a Full Body meditation on her Tao Basic CD. There is a point in it where you fill the fore brain w/ light, then spend some time spreading light on the right side of the brain, 'cleaning out the cobwebs', then the left, then you use the connect them. Then you clean out the back, and wash it down the vertebra, one by one. She actually calls out the Chinese names of vertebrae groupings as you swirl energy downward.

Thats a small piece of it. She hits the 5 major centers in similar way, calling out there 'taoist' natures. Again, an excellent peace that works on the hemispheres.

I've tried Hemi Sync, it brings relaxation, but in my opinion doesn't go as deep as the other practices.

1. Crack open your skull.

2. Separate the two hemispheres.

3. Place them on the scales. Left hemisphere goes on the left plate of the scale and the right hemisphere goes on the right plate.

4. The plates should be balanced. But if they are not, you will need to trim a piece of the brain off. So if the right plate dips, you need to trim a bit of the tissue off the right hemisphere. That's the Northern School way. Alternatively you can try to weigh down the left hemisphere with a tiny lead weight. That how the Southern School does it.

5. Reconnect the balanced hemispheres.

6. Insert the balanced brain back into your skull.

Edited by goldisheavy

1. Crack open your skull.

2. Separate the two hemispheres.

3. Place them on the scales. Left hemisphere goes on the left plate of the scale and the right hemisphere goes on the right plate.

4. The plates should be balanced. But if they are not, you will need to trim a piece of the brain off. So if the right plate dips, you need to trim a bit of the tissue off the right hemisphere. That's the Northern School way. Alternatively you can try to weigh down the left hemisphere with a tiny lead weight. That how the Southern School does it.

5. Reconnect the balanced hemispheres.

6. Insert the balanced brain back into your skull.

I love to make jokes and fool around, however, i find this one rather distasteful.

The Tao of Making Jokes by Old Green in stores 06/12/2012.

Meditation leads to a balancing of the neuronal activity of left/right hemispheres, overall brain syncopation, balances the sympathetic/parasympathetic nervous systems, and reduces the stress hormones cortisol and adrenaline to provide a deeper rest, relaxation and recovery period. The inhibiting neurotransmitter GABA increases in the blood during meditation. Regular meditation will permanently reduce the baseline activation of the Hypthalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal axis.

Some of the factors that play into meditations beneficial effects are perhaps magnetization of blood and economy of enzyme use. It probably leads to growth of neurons, increased dendrite connections, regeneration of receptor sites, conservation of neurotransmitters, plasticity of brain function, hence enhancing learning and memory. Not to mention the "potentiating effect" of the hormonal system through maximizing the health of the pituitary gland. Also with increased ionization of the cerebral spinal fluid, the action potentials of the nerves are stronger. Thus the body is able to substantiate the structure of the Higher Self, essentially incarnating a deeper more profound human experience. So this is like amplifying ones neurology such that the governing "host" has more conscious control over the bodymind.

Only that which is made conscious can be "dropped."

The way I see it is that meditation reduces friction, strengthens, detoxifies and regenerates. With the balancing of the autonomic nervous system there is a removal of excess energy from reptilian defense system, thus allowing brain function to become more contemporary rather than ruled by past trauma and reptilian mechanisms. This obviously gives us more prefrontal control over our amygdala (fear center) and limbic brain, and this could be described as a maturing or enlightenment of the mind. Thus new energy and consciousness is made available for higher human capacities rather than being wasted away in reactive animistic responses to our environment and autonomic coping mechanisms to the stresses and traumas of life. The orbitofrontal regulation that our mother originally "provided" (to the degree that she engaged in primal mothering) is now taken over by mediation and spiritual practices in the individuating aspirant.

Only that which is made conscious can be "let go."

Edited by onlyindreams
  • Like 1

that having been said,

a consistent practice of standing meditation (focusing on dropping all tension down to your heels, breathing deeply, slowly, and most importantly gently through the nostrils), sitting meditation (straight but relaxed back, focusing on being centered, grounded, and present), and alternate nostril breathing (again, slowly, deeply, and gently - imagine there is a feather in front of your nostrils and you are not trying to disturb it) will bring you this balance

the KEY to LIFE is the BREATH.

I love to make jokes and fool around, however, i find this one rather distasteful.

The Tao of Making Jokes by Old Green in stores 06/12/2012.

That's a terrible post. If you're going to criticize something, you have to do better than to say you don't like something. You have to explain why you don't like it. This way you are giving me a chance to make a choice: I can choose to reject your reason, or I can choose to honor your reason and change my behavior. If you simply say you don't like something without giving me any reason why not, then I will assume you are basically a bully.

At best I think a post like yours is negligent. That's the best thing I can say about it.

Edited by goldisheavy

So does balancing the left and right hemispheres of the brain through meditation, standing or sitting, alternate nostril breathing etc, help with dyslexia and other learning disabilities. I don't think so. Brain Gym which i mentioned previously does.

I think what goldisheavy is trying to say is:

What do you mean with balancing the left and right hemisphere?

If thats not the case, can you guys still ecplain it to me?