Sign in to follow this  
Birch

Permission

I probably won't write it because I am currently permitting myself to not work very hard :)

However, it occurred to me the other day that many many books are read in order to get permission to feel, perceive, understand something, maybe not 'do' anything per se. But a justification of some kind. And then I noticed that I haven't read very many books telling me what I "can't" do...I tend to stay away from Bibles and things.

So I guess my query is, how much permission do you need before you allow yourself?

• Like 1

Hmm... good question. I think it's a matter of communicating to a person that they are able to choose for themselves. Most childhood discipline I've witnessed has more to do with forbidding a child something rather than explaining consequences. This is rather hard to break from for most people.

Forget the book. Get a 1-900 number. People can call you, whenever they need some permission.

Forget the book. Get a 1-900 number. People can call you, whenever they need some permission.

Well, I don't reckon that would work. They wouldn't pay for permission from just anyone I'd have to buy a couple of psych and philosophy degrees. Maybe an MD? IMO permission that works needs to come from some kind of authority. Which I'm not. :)

That's where the book comes in :) Maybe I should get someone else to write it? Save me the trouble?

Well, I don't reckon that would work. They wouldn't pay for permission from just anyone I'd have to buy a couple of psych and philosophy degrees. Maybe an MD? IMO permission that works needs to come from some kind of authority. Which I'm not. :)

That's where the book comes in :) Maybe I should get someone else to write it? Save me the trouble?

Hey, if you can write the book, I don't see why you can't write a coupla capital letters after your name.

I hereby give you permission to inflate your diplomas.

Thanks but I couldn't get the link to work. I was thinking about it some more this morning and I thought we could start a 'permission chain' (a bit like the Haiku chain) where someone asks for permission to do something, the next poster grants it and then asks for permission to do something else. No assumption of consequences (because those will be assumed in the granting or not of permission :-)) Oh, and no asking permission for something you don't intend to do or that you don't feel or think or whatever :)

At some point I could see the book generate itself, but then I'd have to ask Sean and the TTB's if they'd allow that :lol: . Or maybe it could work out as a collective publishing thing. Anyway, I thought Otis was very good at giving permission to me to inflate my degree roster with a few bought ones :-)

Up for it?

reminds me of a group, once, who's credo was

"nothing is true and everything is permitted"

Assassino!

:D

From my limited experience, people don't need much permission. As in, it doesn't take more than a nudge to get them going. Many times they are stopped by rules that exist nowhere beyond their own mind.

Best example of this are the social groups I saw in high school and still see in college. I've always been friendly with people from a lot of backgrounds. But it always astounds me that people have all these "rules" in their head that they can't talk to a certain person, can't go to a certain place, can't do a certain thing, even if they WANT to, because all social hell is going to rain down upon them.

Many times they are looking for an excuse. "Well if Sloppy is going then I might as well go". "Well if I'm reading a book, it's okay, right?" "It's a children's movie, I can be silly if I want!"

And many times it doesn't even have to be a good excuse. Almost seems a bit pro forma at times.

1) Want to do something

2) Problem

3) Fill in excuse

4) Permission granted

Anyway, I also recall one of the videos of Gary Clyman that was linked, and it was also about the issue of permission. His thesis stemmed from the fact that everybody's parents had told them all the things they couldn't do in life. Which, as a matter of fact, was the reason his dad was the best dad in the world, because his dad told the young Gary that Gary could be whatever he wanted to be. Gary had that permission.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

"Many times they are stopped by rules that exist nowhere beyond their own mind."

That's exactly why I suggested it :-)

Assassino!

:D

From my limited experience, people don't need much permission. As in, it doesn't take more than a nudge to get them going. Many times they are stopped by rules that exist nowhere beyond their own mind.

Best example of this are the social groups I saw in high school and still see in college. I've always been friendly with people from a lot of backgrounds. But it always astounds me that people have all these "rules" in their head that they can't talk to a certain person, can't go to a certain place, can't do a certain thing, even if they WANT to, because all social hell is going to rain down upon them.

Many times they are looking for an excuse. "Well if Sloppy is going then I might as well go". "Well if I'm reading a book, it's okay, right?" "It's a children's movie, I can be silly if I want!"

And many times it doesn't even have to be a good excuse. Almost seems a bit pro forma at times.

1) Want to do something

2) Problem

3) Fill in excuse

4) Permission granted

Anyway, I also recall one of the videos of Gary Clyman that was linked, and it was also about the issue of permission. His thesis stemmed from the fact that everybody's parents had told them all the things they couldn't do in life. Which, as a matter of fact, was the reason his dad was the best dad in the world, because his dad told the young Gary that Gary could be whatever he wanted to be. Gary had that permission.

Man, you just edited the best part of that post out. I read it once and read this thing about 'chickflicks' 'masculinity' and getting laid (or words to that effect) then you went and erased it.

I hereby grant you permission to do whatever stopped you from keeping that part in your post :-)

Sign in to follow this