Sign in to follow this  
DalTheJigsaw123

Breathing Through Diaphragm or Through the Stomach?

IMO, nose breathing would be the best. I try to always breathe through the nose. Usually if I get winded I will find I have been breathing through my mouth!

Nose breathing is a yin technique, but at any rate, I prefer it!

Breath through the nose. On the inhale the belly should rise, indicating proper diaphragm function.

bah! breathe from the psoas!!! B)

Gray391.png

Edited by joeblast
  • Like 3

Breathing Through Diaphragm or Through the Stomach? Or through the nose? Which way is, "better."

One can only breath through the nose or mouth but not the diaphragm. Breath through the nose is better because it has a filter function to get rid the impurities from the air.

Breathing through diaphragm means during abdominal breathing the diaphragm becomes flatten to allow more room for the lungs to be expanded. As a result, it will increase the capacity of the lungs to hold more air when you breathe.

Breathing Through Diaphragm or Through the Stomach? Or through the nose? Which way is, "better."

In my experience the best is to breath naturally. Taking the most natural approach we can manage in all things is actually the best, IMO. In this way we can avoid excessive swings and other imbalances caused by taking an unnatural or forced approach. Despite what we might think, things progress at their own natural pace and in their own natural way completely without any interference from ourself if we allow it. This may require us first working on various virtues such as patience and increasing awareness and acceptance of who and what we really are, etc. We each have to walk our own path and learn our own lessons however. What is natural for one may not be so natural for another at any given point in time and space. Some call it cultivating dao. :D

Best to you Leon...

Edited by The Way Is Virtue

My approach -

For Qigong, health, longetivity practices - abdominal breathing: expand abdomen on inhale, contract (passively) on exhale

For martial Taiji training - reverse abdominal breathing: focus more on chest on inhale (abdomen contracts passively) and guide Qi to dan tian (abdomen expands passively) on exhale

Depends on what you want to accomplish. I am partial to bone breathing and skin breathing myself which happens while I am breathing normally. That is nice to cultivate too.

Spend 5-7 days doing each one and then compare.

Why not explore all of the above? Meditate on how the breath massages the intestines, as the inhale opens the diaphragm, and pushes down the organs. Or sit in a steam room or walk-in cooler, and feel the breath in your sinus cavities. Practice breathing through one nostril at a time. Entertain yourself. :)

Sign in to follow this