beoman

blocked chakras in center of head

Hello all,

Too much vipassana has made my head hurt! Basically, at all waking hours (and sometimes in dreams), i have a fluxing set of very hard, solid-seeming, often-painful sensations in the center of my head. the focal point seems to be slightly behind the eyes, in the center of the eyes. it's pretty much like if you draw an axis through the crown, the 3rd eye and the temples, where those lines intersect is the focus. it often moves around, though, sometimes splitting in two and hardening at the temples, sometimes moving up more to the crown.

on a few occasions i can get my whole body synched up in a nice way, for example (recently):

"i began observing disturbances in my body and trying to let them go. this worked really well (it doesn't always). starting from sensations in the groin/lower abdomen area, i focused on them and the sensations disappeared, revealing other disturbances above them in the stomach. they too disappeared, then the chest became apparent. those too went and now the neck became apparent. that, too, dissolved, and now the focus of that process was brought to the already-disturbed head. here i really just let go somehow (which i can't always do) and it's like the releasing-process went through them and 'fixed' them in some way, though they didn't disappear. i think the process then moved to the crown, but i'm not sure. after that, there were sensations back in the chest area (not sure if i noticed anything going from the head to the chest). after that, it was like all the sensations in my body were coming from one spot. i felt my head and my feet simultaneously and they were all overlapping in the center of my awareness. it was really great and i wish i always felt that way! but alas soon after this there was some gap or shift, at which point the unity dispersed. normally it all falls apart after that, but this time i noticed the process was starting again from the groin/lower abdomen area. "

anyway, that feels nice, but when i get up and go about my daily life the painful sensations return. i know some tai chi (not a lot, i basically know the solo form) but even if i don't notice it while i'm doing the form, the sensations return again. i don't know any chi kung besides the form but even then i wasn't taught to focus on any part of the body or focus on the flow of energy or anything, i was so far just taught the physical movements.

there also seems to be an obsession aspect to it. being so prominent i tend to focus on these sensations, and focusing on these sensations in some ways (not in all ways) hardens them.

any recommendations on how to ground myself/resolve this issue?

Edited by beoman

I always recommend the book "Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body" by B.K. Frantzis. It's really great at teaching dissolving, and basically how to avoid situations like this.

A real quick point (which is VERY expanded in the book)- try dissolving DOWNWARD, letting things go in your head, then your neck, then chest, abdomen, groin, legs, and stuff like that, rather than building up.

Another suggestion (not from the book), is to put aside your practice, do some exercise, get out, move your body. Drink plenty of water. Breathe deep. The good stuff.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

Hello all,

Too much vipassana has made my head hurt! Basically, at all waking hours (and sometimes in dreams), i have a fluxing set of very hard, solid-seeming, often-painful sensations in the center of my head. the focal point seems to be slightly behind the eyes, in the center of the eyes. it's pretty much like if you draw an axis through the crown, the 3rd eye and the temples, where those lines intersect is the focus. it often moves around, though, sometimes splitting in two and hardening at the temples, sometimes moving up more to the crown.

on a few occasions i can get my whole body synched up in a nice way, for example (recently):

"i began observing disturbances in my body and trying to let them go. this worked really well (it doesn't always). starting from sensations in the groin/lower abdomen area, i focused on them and the sensations disappeared, revealing other disturbances above them in the stomach. they too disappeared, then the chest became apparent. those too went and now the neck became apparent. that, too, dissolved, and now the focus of that process was brought to the already-disturbed head. here i really just let go somehow (which i can't always do) and it's like the releasing-process went through them and 'fixed' them in some way, though they didn't disappear. i think the process then moved to the crown, but i'm not sure. after that, there were sensations back in the chest area (not sure if i noticed anything going from the head to the chest). after that, it was like all the sensations in my body were coming from one spot. i felt my head and my feet simultaneously and they were all overlapping in the center of my awareness. it was really great and i wish i always felt that way! but alas soon after this there was some gap or shift, at which point the unity dispersed. normally it all falls apart after that, but this time i noticed the process was starting again from the groin/lower abdomen area. "

anyway, that feels nice, but when i get up and go about my daily life the painful sensations return. i know some tai chi (not a lot, i basically know the solo form) but even if i don't notice it while i'm doing the form, the sensations return again. i don't know any chi kung besides the form but even then i wasn't taught to focus on any part of the body or focus on the flow of energy or anything, i was so far just taught the physical movements.

there also seems to be an obsession aspect to it. being so prominent i tend to focus on these sensations, and focusing on these sensations in some ways (not in all ways) hardens them.

any recommendations on how to ground myself/resolve this issue?

As Sloppy said downard dissolving is great.

I would reccomend to observe wherther you are breathing equally through both nostrils ,if not try and breathe very gently and deeply at the back of you head medulla oblongata and regulate your breath flow at that place.It is often the case that breathing is through one of nostrils more( depending if person is in more active or restful mood etc. )and ideally it should flow through both.

Otherwise just put some music that makes you want to dance and move /dance very openly and freely ,allowing the body to guide.

I always recommend the book "Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body" by B.K. Frantzis. It's really great at teaching dissolving, and basically how to avoid situations like this.

A real quick point (which is VERY expanded in the book)- try dissolving DOWNWARD, letting things go in your head, then your neck, then chest, abdomen, groin, legs, and stuff like that, rather than building up.

Another suggestion (not from the book), is to put aside your practice, do some exercise, get out, move your body. Drink plenty of water. Breathe deep. The good stuff.

Ah thanks for reminding me I have the book! heh. I've started looking at it again. Tried scanning/sinking/dissolving and had some success, tho it's a bit difficult cause the most painful points are the ones at the beginning - the crown/3rd eye/center of head area - and it's hard to let them go. But I think trying this out every day is a good idea.

Thanks also for the suggestion to just put it aside, hehe, it's also hard to do cause my mind basically meditates on auto-pilot nowadays unless I'm distracted, but I'll try reprogramming the auto-pilot to scan/sink/dissolve downwards instead of focusing on the center point in the head.

Ah thanks for reminding me I have the book! heh. I've started looking at it again. Tried scanning/sinking/dissolving and had some success, tho it's a bit difficult cause the most painful points are the ones at the beginning - the crown/3rd eye/center of head area - and it's hard to let them go. But I think trying this out every day is a good idea.

Thanks also for the suggestion to just put it aside, hehe, it's also hard to do cause my mind basically meditates on auto-pilot nowadays unless I'm distracted, but I'll try reprogramming the auto-pilot to scan/sink/dissolve downwards instead of focusing on the center point in the head.

Ah, well if dissolving right off the bat is too hard, start out with just some dantien meditation. It's basically the same as most zen type meditations, where you breathe down to your belly. As you do so, try to relax everything, top to bottom, as much as you can, but don't try to dissolve anything, per se.

Ah, well if dissolving right off the bat is too hard, start out with just some dantien meditation. It's basically the same as most zen type meditations, where you breathe down to your belly. As you do so, try to relax everything, top to bottom, as much as you can, but don't try to dissolve anything, per se.

o man he says "don't dissolve points in the brain without a master directly guiding you" - too late, in the brain is where it hurts the most!

the just breathing stuff is good too, the book has sections on Longevity breathing, and practicing that is quite nice and relaxing.

Otherwise just put some music that makes you want to dance and move /dance very openly and freely ,allowing the body to guide.

ah thanks for this too! i remember i used to just move my body around and sway my head when sitting down, that seems to help, though it looks a bit weird.

Simple solution - self massage. Starting at the scalp and working down, out the extremities. Do it a few times per day.

o man he says "don't dissolve points in the brain without a master directly guiding you" - too late, in the brain is where it hurts the most!

Yeah, I do recall that, but I didn't want you to think you were screwed :lol:

Many times problems are often caused, or exacerbated, by the surrounding areas. For instance, if you've got blockages in your neck or face, it could affect how your head is feeling. Eye strain can also cause headaches. I've heard some people say that some practices over stimulate the third eye- which could feed into the center of the head.

That's why I also suggested that you ease off the practice for a little while, just do some physical exercises. "Get out of your head." Because if you try to do another practice, it would do the same thing.

Dissolve down, dissolve around the area.

I wouldn't risk going into the brain unless you've spent a long time (6 months?) trying to resolve it in other manners.

Hello all,

Too much vipassana has made my head hurt! ...

Uh, perhaps you should stop doing something that makes your head hurt?

Does it quit when you cease for several days? Are you doing energy projection?

Have you tried to project to the crown to get celestial chi? , it comes down the spine and or through the hands.

Uh, perhaps you should stop doing something that makes your head hurt?

Does it quit when you cease for several days? Are you doing energy projection?

Well it's not that I sit down to meditate so much, it's more that my constant way of existing currently is focused around painfulness in my head, so even if I don't sit formally, due to momentum and stuff it will manifest. So I'm thinking I need to do more than just stop what started it, but to work actively to relax it. I did stop actively meditating for a month or two but this pain actually prevented being calm and peaceful anyway.

What is energy projection?

Have you tried to project to the crown to get celestial chi? , it comes down the spine and or through the hands.

I have not - can you recommend info on how to do that?

Well it's not that I sit down to meditate so much, it's more that my constant way of existing currently is focused around painfulness in my head, so even if I don't sit formally, due to momentum and stuff it will manifest. So I'm thinking I need to do more than just stop what started it, but to work actively to relax it. I did stop actively meditating for a month or two but this pain actually prevented being calm and peaceful anyway.

What is energy projection?

Energy projection is something a medical qigong healer does to help people; qi manipulation.

I asked because I ran into a situation in my pain clinic before where someone was doing that with the type of meditation system you describe and the results were similar to yours.

Have you seen a physician? It is possible the pain has little to do with the meditation and is related to a medical problem.

After you have ruled out a medical problem, then a medical qigong doctor/therapist/healer would be someone to try. I have had great success in clinic with these type of things. Possibly an acupuncturist or Osteopath could help.

edit:

One thing a person who has head pain can try is vigorously rubbing K1 acupoint on the bottom of both feet, 100 times per foot. But rule out potential medical problems is first step.

Edited by Ya Mu

I have not - can you recommend info on how to do that?

How old are you and where do you live?

I have similar experience although without the pain. It may be calcification of flouride in your pineal.

Sounds like you are nearing completion of the awakening process.

I'm not familiar with vipassana, but the experiences are telling a story of the spirit rising through the chakra's.

Not everyones awakening will be the same, I personally haven't had any pain in the brow chakra durring this process, it was more of a tingling sensation, and at times feeling pressure and/or polarity of the hemispheres.

You seem to be at the point where both hemispheres come into balance, so it is also possible that it would be helpfull to distinguish left and right brain activity, and try to feel the difference, then feel where they meet, and bring them together to the center. Once that is achieved, you can project to the crown. The crown isn't really a location of the body, the brow is the gateway to the crown.

If you put your arms above your head, fingers touching to make a sort of triangle, elbows bent and about level with your ears, your fingers will meet at the spot many will say it exists.

It could also be that you are overworking.

Edited by Informer

My suggestion would be to do some "yoga" and/or "tai chi" in order to ground your energy naturally through breath and body movement.

Personally, I almost am always feeling this center, my awareness is always stemming from there. Once I wake up in the mourning, I bring the spirit to this point where it stays until I go to sleep.

This point is what stems intuition. It is difficult to understand as it is to explain how this intuition works.

Try to activate this center, and ask yourself some questions, like "why does it hurt", then do some searching on the net, and you should find your answer. It requires some work in interpretating this marvel, although I'm sure you will begin to figure it out. Attention to details!

You may find an answer to something else that wasn't the question that you asked, but this is how you will begin to further knowing, continue your search, and ask yourself if the information you found apply's.

Interpreting intuition is difficult at times, one must remain vigilant.

How old are you and where do you live?

i'm 22, living in NYC.

I have similar experience although without the pain. It may be calcification of flouride in your pineal.

about it being a medical issue: i'm pretty sure this is an entirely mental process, as it has almost completely faded at times. it seems intimately linked with desire and 'self' and intention and stuff, not to any physical things. interestingly, if i touch my head and the inside of my mouth where i think i feel it, the sensation subsides. that makes me think it's not physical-based at all, and that the physical touch is obscuring it.

Sounds like you are nearing completion of the awakening process.

I'm not familiar with vipassana, but the experiences are telling a story of the spirit rising through the chakra's.

that is what i'm going for! i don't consider it a spirit rising so much as a process happening, but might just be mincing words =P.

You seem to be at the point where both hemispheres come into balance, so it is also possible that it would be helpfull to distinguish left and right brain activity, and try to feel the difference, then feel where they meet, and bring them together to the center. Once that is achieved, you can project to the crown. The crown isn't really a location of the body, the brow is the gateway to the crown.

If you put your arms above your head, fingers touching to make a sort of triangle, elbows bent and about level with your ears, your fingers will meet at the spot many will say it exists.

ah interesting. i thought the crown was the point on the very top of the head. ive heard about the one you mention but i thought it was called something else. would projecting upwards in that fashion really be a good idea in my state though?

Personally, I almost am always feeling this center, my awareness is always stemming from there. Once I wake up in the mourning, I bring the spirit to this point where it stays until I go to sleep.

aye, it certainly seems like my awareness stems from there, though the point of what i'm trying to do is to realize that awareness doesn't actually stem from there =). and it doesn't, actually, from what i hear of the more awakened people that i hang out with.

i know what you mean about intuition. i feel sometimes like anything i read my mind connects to stuff i'm doing now.

interestingly, if i touch my head and the inside of my mouth where i think i feel it, the sensation subsides. that makes me think it's not physical-based at all, and that the physical touch is obscuring it.

Hmm...you said physical touching relieves the pain?

-Maybe this will help...

Edited by Empty_Water

Hmm...you said physical touching relieves the pain?

-Maybe this will help...

oo that did help a bit actually, thanks! ill have to try that one a few more times

Maybe someone already said this, but...

Chinese medicine (acupuncture & herbs) is all over headaches (I mean, "good at solving 'em"). Best bet is to go see a dr of Ch.Medicine.

Maybe someone already said this, but...

Chinese medicine (acupuncture & herbs) is all over headaches (I mean, "good at solving 'em"). Best bet is to go see a dr of Ch.Medicine.

it's not a headache, though. i feel like it should turn into one but it doesn't.

You're right, pure awareness doesn't stem from there, that is individual awareness.

Although it leads there.

Edited by Dagon

it's not a headache, though. i feel like it should turn into one but it doesn't.

My previous statements still hold.

:)