Sign in to follow this  
C T

Understanding Energy - The Tibetan Buddhist Approach

Thank you CowTao for bringing this subject up.

I don't know anything about Tibetan medicine, or Tibetan Buddhism for that matter, but your link provides a lot of good information which I will take the time to read through when I have more time. It looks very interesting.

This is a refreshing change from the usual arguments as to whose system/religion/tradition/philosophy is the best.

Good stuff.

I've always found this stuff interesting but extremely complex and chaotic. Think I don't understand a thing.

When I think of energy, I mostly think about mental fitness, by good diet and sleep and workout. But lets say that I've not slept well, which is often the case, what would a Tibetan Buddhist do in such a case to get refreshed and regain energy? A regular guy would drink coffe or red bull, another would get some quick workout, some may take a cold shower or was their face with cold water.

How does a Tibetan Buddhist become energised? He does understand energy afteral, right? Or is a Tibetan Buddhist not allowed to use such knowledge to his own advantage.

Edited by Everything

I've always found this stuff interesting but extremely complex and chaotic. Think I don't understand a thing.

When I think of energy, I mostly think about mental fitness, by good diet and sleep and workout. But lets say that I've not slept well, which is often the case, what would a Tibetan Buddhist do in such a case to get refreshed and regain energy? A regular guy would drink coffe or red bull, another would get some quick workout, some may take a cold shower or was their face with cold water.

How does a Tibetan Buddhist become energised? He does understand energy afteral, right? Or is a Tibetan Buddhist not allowed to use such knowledge to his own advantage.

Maybe do some bellows breathing and yoga stretching? And then realising he's late for work he'd grab a red bull and be gone.

This is my take on it: "Energy" is merely a metaphor, just like "God" or "no self". It doesn't necessarily mean that there is some physical force that can be measured by the right device. It is, rather, about a way of experiencing our own bodies.

Psychologists call the ego view of the body: the bodymap. The bodymap is the internal reference of cause and effect within the concept of the body. The bodymap allows me to wiggle my finger upon command, because I have associated a certain sensation with "finger". The bodymap allows me to figure out from where in my body a pain is coming from.

However, the bodymap is often not very accurate, and it creates extra conceptual layers between both brain-and-sensation (input) and between brain-and-action (output). This forces an unnecessary detour in the path of input and output (through the ego), which slows everything way down, and which pollutes the process with habit.

There is another way of exploring the body, without a map, but of course, it is formless, and gives rise to no conceptual data. In this "energetic" way of exploring the body, I can feel what my body is telling me, but no concepts arise from it. There is no story attached, just raw sensation.

This is tantric exploration: how and what do I feel, without actually attaching a conceptual "how" or "what" to it. This is giving the body back to the body, because when I feel without deciding, the body's actions arise from some source that is not "me" (i.e. not my ego).

When I practice with my staff, I do not work on tricks or try to make the stick do anything. Instead, I merely pay attention to the sensation at my fingers (or wherever I feel the staff), and allow the staff and my body to dance together, without "my" interference.

Briefly: another metaphor that I like a lot: wave and particle. In quantum physics, phenomena seems to exist "as a wave", until egos get involved. Once we interfere, we experience phenomena as "particles", i.e. as something real. The same, I think, is true of the body. We try to conceptualize our bodies into discrete material that responds to our commands. But IME the body is most efficient, most powerful, and most innovative, when it does what it wants to, not what "I" want it to. The only way to reach the "energetic" or "wave" version of the body is to humble my own role in controlling the body, allow myself to be a baby, who does not know.

Edited by Otis

This is my take on it: "Energy" is merely a metaphor, just like "God" or "no self". It doesn't necessarily mean that there is some physical force that can be measured by the right device. It is, rather, about a way of experiencing our own bodies.

Psychologists call the ego view of the body: the bodymap. The bodymap is the internal reference of cause and effect within the concept of the body. The bodymap allows me to wiggle my finger upon command, because I have associated a certain sensation with "finger". The bodymap allows me to figure out from where in my body a pain is coming from.

However, the bodymap is often not very accurate, and it creates extra conceptual layers between both brain-and-sensation (input) and between brain-and-action (output). This forces an unnecessary detour in the path of input and output (through the ego), which slows everything way down, and which pollutes the process with habit.

There is another way of exploring the body, without a map, but of course, it is formless, and gives rise to no conceptual data. In this "energetic" way of exploring the body, I can feel what my body is telling me, but no concepts arise from it. There is no story attached, just raw sensation.

This is tantric exploration: how and what do I feel, without actually attaching a conceptual "how" or "what" to it. This is giving the body back to the body, because when I feel without deciding, the body's actions arise from some source that is not "me" (i.e. not my ego).

When I practice with my staff, I do not work on tricks or try to make the stick do anything. Instead, I merely pay attention to the sensation at my fingers (or wherever I feel the staff), and allow the staff and my body to dance together, without "my" interference.

Briefly: another metaphor that I like a lot: wave and particle. In quantum physics, phenomena seems to exist "as a wave", until egos get involved. Once we interfere, we experience phenomena as "particles", i.e. as something real. The same, I think, is true of the body. We try to conceptualize our bodies into discrete material that responds to our commands. But IME the body is most efficient, most powerful, and most innovative, when it does what it wants to, not what "I" want it to. The only way to reach the "energetic" or "wave" version of the body is to humble my own role in controlling the body, allow myself to be a baby, who does not know.

Great post Otis.

I experienced something similar in my Taijiquan practice. For a long time the postures are determined by visual image, mirror, description, teacher's corrections, and so on. Eventually the body learns to feel when its correct and this ultimately becomes "more correct" than attempting to mimic someone else or follow directions. Now its enough to feel the body and conform to the principles outlined in the classics (for the most part) and at that point the Taiji is yours. And at this point the feeling is not necessarily limited to "the body." That is, the part that's bounded by skin.

The wave/particle metaphor you mention brings Alan Watts to mind again.

I never get tired of listening to him.

As I go deeper in my practice, I just am energized, feeling more personal power, I don't have to try, I just do the practices.

No need for redbull either... actually... when more awake to the body, that stuff is experienced as it is, toxic.

This information is generally not introduced to someone unless they have some practice and inner experience, but these days it's all very different with the information highway at our fingertips.

Sign in to follow this