Sign in to follow this  
Non

qigong+resistance training

I came to a realization yesterday when meditating on my lower dan-tien area and it's connection to other muscles, as well as the Earth when doing the Body Method from Jack Greewood. I felt the gravitational pull on every part of my body and felt as if there was a weight there and I was exercising the muscle. Even my tendons and organs, I imagined them all like a muscle and I stimulated them with tension.

Afterwards I did some spontaneous qigong based off of bagua and noticed I was making kung fu mandalas.

Qigong systems with static standing postures put plenty of stress on the muscles. Holding certain positions for over 20 minutes can be quite difficult.

There are certainly types of Qigong which are meant to build the muscles along with the power of qi. Styles that are part internal and part external have these. I'm thinking of styles like Bajiquan and Hung Gar.

Stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPUXIRpv2h0

This thread has some more links to some other stuff.

I'm sure there are a lot of other types out there that also build strength and qi at the same time.

As an aside, if this is about you working out without losing your flexibility, might I suggest you investigate workouts, maybe talk to some personal trainers, ask on this forum or others, about exercises that push your flexibility while building strength? Because I think that it'd give you more info and better help to do that, rather than seek out an archaic and most likely incomplete chi exercise training.

That's all I wanted to say about that. If that's not what this is about, my bad.

• Like 1

Some iron shirt sets can be done with weights.

I practice hung gar as well, and several of the sets are meant to build strength and qi simultaneously. Uhh, but I'm not sure what David Carridine has to do with Hung Gar. . . :)

Also, xing yi is pretty vigorous, and though I've only been practicing for about 3 or 4 months, I'm definitely getting stronger.

sometimes when doing the archer pose or the bend the bow to shot the hawk i imagine i have a bow of varying strength and am pulling it back.

Sign in to follow this