Sign in to follow this  
mewtwo

dark nigth of the soul? enlightenment?

wondering what is happening with me. this is not the first time i have felt this way. What i feel right now is a kind of depression but in a good way mabye a sort of compassion? if that makes any sence. it feels like material things dont matter much and that all that matters is sentiant beings. I guess the best way to explain this is i wana be one with the divine. well i know that i am one but i feel like i wana shed this phisical body. am i going through a dark night or somethign similar?

If it makes any difference i just got done with a seminar workshop done by andrew harvey. he was talking about divine love and sacred activism.

wondering what is happening with me. this is not the first time i have felt this way. What i feel right now is a kind of depression but in a good way mabye a sort of compassion? if that makes any sence. it feels like material things dont matter much and that all that matters is sentiant beings. I guess the best way to explain this is i wana be one with the divine. well i know that i am one but i feel like i wana shed this phisical body. am i going through a dark night or somethign similar?

If it makes any difference i just got done with a seminar workshop done by andrew harvey. he was talking about divine love and sacred activism.

I think of the physical body as but a vessel for the divine. Not sure what you mean by shedding it?

It sounds like you are on the right track, have you practicing loving all sentient beings?

Yes! I love these. When you feel sadness or depression you heal it by "soothing" in it. You don't "redirect" it or some other foolishness. Feel the sadness of everything. The earth going to shit, society going mental,being alone, fear,women not wanting you, whatever is there that stirs your heart, feel it all. This is a natural mechanism from the depths of the soul. This turns the entire body cold and stills the mind like nothing else. Also purges desires.

First, I don't think the "dark night of the soul" is something like an objective fact that happens to everyone. Second, people can discern things like the dark night of the soul only in retrospect. I really doubt anyone can sincerely say "hey, yes, I am in the middle of the dark night of the soul right now." It's only 10, 20 or 30 years later that you'll maybe be able to recognize the dark night of the soul as such, if in fact you've experienced it. I don't think it's a good idea to imagine that your personal path is exactly like that of countless others, as if you're treading some well established path. The path you are on is unique. No one has attempted to be you before. You're the first you there is, and most likely the last.

As for the actual content of your post, I tend to agree with it. I think yes, sentient beings are all that matters in the world. Everything revolves around the sentient beings. I've also felt limited by the physical body before, but I came to recognize that my body is in many ways representative of my own intention. It's not imposed on me despite myself, but it represents my own willingness. So my body is only limited to the extent my mind is limited. So if I am unhappy, instead of railing against my body, I should check out my mind and unclog the limitations there, and the body will soon catch up, because the body always follows the mind. The mind is in charge and the body is like a shadow of the mind.

I was under the impression a dark night of the soul connotes something akin to a crisis of faith...

I like the phrase, "this too shall pass." When you are experiencing something that is painful or agrivating, just keep in mind that nothing lasts forever. Remember that without the storms, the grass would not grow.

Aaron

still feeling this way. anyone knows of ways to cope? i looked up the sighns i might be having a possible ego death. does one have many of these or is it normaly just one per lifeitme?

still feeling this way. anyone knows of ways to cope? i looked up the sighns i might be having a possible ego death. does one have many of these or is it normaly just one per lifeitme?

You ought to try consulting Andrew Harvey with your situation.

Generally, a person experiencing these states are subject to heightened imaginings, so i am sure Mr Harvey would be the right person to determine whether this is what's happening with you, and if so, you would be in great hands. A man of realization, so to speak.

i am supirsed that no one here has any meditations or things for me. also andrew harvey left south dakota today it would be to late to contact him.

The whole world is in extreme suffering, so how to open up your heart without becoming depressed is an important question. I imagine depression would be a stage in that process of opening up while you still have identifications in the world and then you are left with a choice of letting go of all your attachments completely or becoming bogged down with the whole world's suffering on your shoulders.

Edited by Jetsun

i am supirsed that no one here has any meditations or things for me. also andrew harvey left south dakota today it would be to late to contact him.

There are scores of active posters here, with as many different takes on which is the best way 'out'.... who are you going to believe? Spiritual confusion is one of the underlying condition for what you are experiencing, so its practically unsound to compound the situation with an extra load of well-intentioned suggestions from equally well-intentioned members.

I am familiar with what you have described, but under no circumstances would i attempt to offer advice, for the simple reason i do not know anything about you (in person, that is). If you were a member of my meditation group, it would of course be a different matter.

Depending on your path, i suggest you seek advice from a counsellor or authentic spiritual teacher in your area.

The Ego becomes sad and depressed when it realizes that it's not the most important thing anymore.

True happiness comes only from having a positive attitude and doing good to others. This is a drive that comes from the divinity inside of you, your higher self. Not everyone develops this, and it can't live side by side with the Ego. Basically, your higher self wants to come out, but it needs to push the Ego out of the way. It is natural for the Ego to experience some pain and attachment as it gets pushed out the door.

The Dark Night of the Soul will fade away like the night gives way to the morning. A strong light develops slowly like the sun rises in the morning -- slowly.

Forget looking for teachers. Just be patient. In your state you are vulnerable to brainwashing and exploitation. Try to occupy yourself with some work. Open your windows. Go for two daily walks or more. Do some exercise. Work on something, anything (you pick what it is, and you don't even have to be paid, you can just carve some statues, or paint, whatever, just work). If the work is physical, it may even be better. See some friends. Go see some movies. Relax. Just mix it up a bit and be patient. Everything passes just like Twinner said.

Meditation is not necessarily a cure-all. Sometimes you have to pass through a difficult period no matter what you do. Are you aware that many students of Buddha's committed suicide due to depression? After this happened Buddha changed his preachings slightly to focus less on the rotting corpse meditation. So what does this tell you? Use your own head! Sometimes there is no magic fix. Just be patient and live as best you can. Sometimes even the best teacher will simply drive you to an early death. Humans are fallible. No exceptions.

Edited by goldisheavy

The Ego becomes sad and depressed when it realizes that it's not the most important thing anymore.

True happiness comes only from having a positive attitude and doing good to others. This is a drive that comes from the divinity inside of you, your higher self. Not everyone develops this, and it can't live side by side with the Ego. Basically, your higher self wants to come out, but it needs to push the Ego out of the way. It is natural for the Ego to experience some pain and attachment as it gets pushed out the door.

The Dark Night of the Soul will fade away like the night gives way to the morning. A strong light develops slowly like the sun rises in the morning -- slowly.

It is funny you mention the sun thing see when something happenes in my life a change for instance, one way i have found to cope with said instance is to think of a fictitious charecter who has gone through the same thing cause thouse are the people i relate to the strongest. so for this thing that i am going through right now i have related myself to this person.

just listening to this made me feel so much better.

Mewtwo: have you read Hermann Hesse's Steppenwolf? Try laughing with the Immortals.

Sign in to follow this