bodyoflight

can't you see the gods can take away your family, your children, your wealth, your health, even your sexual abilities anytime they want to?

It's funny how life trains us for the very things we're talking about.

I have chosen to live my life with a man I met in AA 28 years ago. He is a recovering alkie too; but in his case, when he drinks, he is a skid row wino. He hasn't drank in 20 years, but the first 8 were hell. Pure hell.

Not only would he periodically fall off the wagon, he would crash cars, he would grow a long pukey beard and be out panhandling change for bottles of Thunderbird or a short dog. It was during this initial 8 year period of time that I learned to live with one foot on a banana peel and one foot in hell.

Alanon taught one thing only, after everything is said and done: Stay In Your Own Lane. No matter how painful it is, seeing your partner laying face down in a parking lot next to a dumpster. There is absolutely nothing you can do to change it.

As a result of this, I have two sides to me now. One side is totally entrenched in love for everything and everyone. The other side of me is like a switch I can turn on and off; an instantaneous ability to get to the Here and Now and absolutely pay no mind to what's going on around me. It was a survival technique that I learned, but I didn't realize how very spiritual it was at the painful times I had to do it.

Even now, although he doesn't drink, his bipolarity creates the same situation occasionally. I have to use the same technique to have a nice day for myself and not buy into his negativity.

Yes, life does remove things swiftly. All we can do is stay grounded, stay in tune, embrace the change.

It's like we're the projectors showing a movie to Spirit, that's all.

• Like 2

Buddhahood is the permanent realization that all is impermanent. It's an insight into the continuous nature of Samsaric dependent origination. It has no beginning and no end, thus this ultimate insight into this nature is just as continuous and endless as Samsara.

If all is impermanent, then realization is impermanent. If any realization is permanent, then ALL is not impermanent.

This is the trap - to believe Buddhahood to be the one permanent thing, Buddhists cling to a goal of attaining it.

Even that must be let go for us to approach liberation.

I think this is addressed by the koan - If you see the Buddha in the road KILL HIM!

Now I'm not a Buddhist, mind you, and I'm not at all well versed in scripture and doctrine and metaphysical debate so you can argue circles around me. But I believe this is a critical and subtle attachment that many Buddhists get stuck on.

And I don't mean to imply that you are stuck on it because I really don't know you at all, but I think many are.

• Like 1

If all is impermanent, then realization is impermanent. If any realization is permanent, then ALL is not impermanent.

This is the trap - to believe Buddhahood to be the one permanent thing, Buddhists cling to a goal of attaining it.

I think this is addressed by the koan - If you see the Buddha in the road KILL HIM!

Now I'm not a Buddhist, mind you, and I'm not at all well versed in scripture and doctrine and metaphysical debate so you can argue circles around me. But I believe this is a critical and subtle attachment that many Buddhists get stuck on.

And I don't mean to imply that you are stuck on it because I really don't know you at all, but I think many are.

I agree, no realization is permanent. Flush buddhahood down the toilet.

@BoL

You can't find joys in daily life. So now you chase after spiritual bliss thinking it will lead to salvation. Gold is right, you are trading one fear for another, one goal for another. At heart, it's no different than compared to a man chasing sexual pleasures. You are seeking states, seeking pleasures, seeking powers. How are you any different?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with either! Be ok with suffering and death. Accept them totally. When you are in struggle with them you are simply creating a reaction, a polarity that strengthens their significance. Everything simple comes and goes, just be at peace with the world.

Edited by Lucky7Strikes
  • Like 2

Interesting... one would think that its precisely these things that increases the desire for people to want to seek enlightenment? The very reason why you are trapped under the very same delusion that you think the wasters are confined by? You just happen to frame it differently, but fundamentally, its still influenced by dualistic notions.

i prefer to look upon it as self-improvement goals..

i will do the necessary spiritual work and let the Universe decides my future without being attached to the outcome..

to aim at the target without worrying about whether the arrow will hit or miss..

pure "intention" in taoist terms?

:lol:

• Like 1

I need a smilie of a guy smashing his head against a brick wall.

The Manifest, the physical aspect of Tao is just as real as any other aspect of Tao.

Stop with this 'everything is illusion' crap. It gets you nowhere.

There are processes. Our body gets old and we die. Sometimes a person will die before they get old. I have no idea what happens with our soul and spirit when we die. I haven't died yet so I have no idea. I do know that our body will return to Earth.

But just because we don't know what will happen to our soul and spirit when we die shouldn't have any effect on how we live our life while we have a body to live with.

yes you know very little but others know a lot..

stop flaunting the fact that you know nothing, alright?

thanks!

Yes, I understand what you are saying. I have been with you here since your beginning. I know that you have work to do. And that is my point - you need to do that work.

My life wasn't always a bowl of cherries. I have had many down times. But I refused to let any thing or any one keep me down. I always got up and tried again. Mistakes? Sure, I have made, Oh!, so many. But that is the past. Everything we do, everything we think is already history by the time we realize it. Every moment is a new moment - a chance for a new life - an opportunity for awareness - an opportunity for a meaningful life.

Now, just because you are messing up right now doesn't mean that you are messed up, it just means that you are trying the wrong things for 'you' and your conditions. If we keep making the same mistakes it is pretty much a given that we are doing the wrong thing.

Expand yourself. Right now I would likely guess that your ego is in your way. Possibly also that you are placing your expectations on life and your expectations are not realistic.

And as much as I dislike saying this (hehehe), Buddhism is an excellent means of getting rid of the escessive ego and your expectations of the universe.

Go for a trip into outer space and realize the meaninglessness of everything and then come back to Earth and find all the meaning that life provides.

Best Wishes!

Non's life will always be in the dumps until he wakes up and adjusts the way he looks at life's priorities ..

you know, in taiwan last year, there was this very famous and cutey-pie faced female singer in her late 20s.

she was in the prime of her career and was scheduled to get married late last year..

then, disaster struck in the middle of last year.. she was involved in an accident involving fireworks and she suffered 1st degree burns all over her body..

she walked out of the hospital a few months back but she will never be involved in the show business again..

when i saw her making her first press conference after the accident, she had short hair just like a monk and she looked really worn-out and tired..

she looked like someone about to go on a pilgrimage and it was certainly a far cry from her heydays of being a cutey-pie faced singer with flowing long locks of hair ..

I have always felt sorry for her and I wished her all the best..

but you can't deny that this was a life-changing experience for her and i have a hunch she will really go on a pilgrimage someday soon..

The gods will hit NON continuously without fail until he wakes up and realizes that the love between man and woman is always fleeting and insignificant compared to the love between a human being and God..

• Like 1

If it makes no difference to you if you are in a Nepalese mountains or playing poker in Vegas, then why should the Himalayan Winters bother you?

Clearly a case of your ego blowing its horn again.

Don't be so weak and fearful of hardships.

Stop twisting what I say! I never said those winters would bother me. I said you have no idea as to what they are like.

It's funny how life trains us for the very things we're talking about.

I have chosen to live my life with a man I met in AA 28 years ago. He is a recovering alkie too; but in his case, when he drinks, he is a skid row wino. He hasn't drank in 20 years, but the first 8 were hell. Pure hell.

Not only would he periodically fall off the wagon, he would crash cars, he would grow a long pukey beard and be out panhandling change for bottles of Thunderbird or a short dog. It was during this initial 8 year period of time that I learned to live with one foot on a banana peel and one foot in hell.

Alanon taught one thing only, after everything is said and done: Stay In Your Own Lane. No matter how painful it is, seeing your partner laying face down in a parking lot next to a dumpster. There is absolutely nothing you can do to change it.

As a result of this, I have two sides to me now. One side is totally entrenched in love for everything and everyone. The other side of me is like a switch I can turn on and off; an instantaneous ability to get to the Here and Now and absolutely pay no mind to what's going on around me. It was a survival technique that I learned, but I didn't realize how very spiritual it was at the painful times I had to do it.

Even now, although he doesn't drink, his bipolarity creates the same situation occasionally. I have to use the same technique to have a nice day for myself and not buy into his negativity.

Yes, life does remove things swiftly. All we can do is stay grounded, stay in tune, embrace the change.

It's like we're the projectors showing a movie to Spirit, that's all.

you should never have fallen for a man you met in AA..

you were already suffering from alcoholism and now you wanna get together with another recovering alcoholic?

no offense.. but if I were you, I would never have done the same thing..

it is suicide mate..

but then, hey it is your life.. do whatever with what you will

Edited by bodyoflight
  • Like 1

buddhists talk about enlightenment all the time

but is there a difference between attachment and dedication?

the dalai lama talks about enlightenment all the time..

but is he attached or dedicated?

i think there is no one human in this forum or on the face of the planet who have the credentials to judge if a spiritual practitioner is truly dedicated or attached to spirituality..

i have different goals from you.. i judge life differently from you..

why should I live my life according to your expectations and standards?

yes you know very little but others know a lot..

stop flaunting the fact that you know nothing, alright?

thanks!

Where did you find all this extra time to start concerning yourself with my life? Don't you have enough problems of your own?

It would be greatly appreciated if you just allow me to be me and I assure you, I will let you be you.

Do you have any idea what the winters are like in the Himalayas? We are not talking about kiddie play. Even if you could live off the elements, that would take years to master and tummo is not easy.

Expect to have giardia, parasites, dysentery and a host of other medical problems.

Stop twisting what I say! I never said those winters would bother me. I said you have no idea as to what they are like.

you are already showing your fears about the winters and diseases in the himalayas..

i am not twisting what you said..

you should never have fallen for a man you met in AA..

you were already suffering from alcoholism and now you wanna get together with another recovering alcoholic?

no offense.. but if I were you, I would never have done the same thing..

it is suicide mate..

but then, hey it is your life.. do whatever with what you will

That is very inappropriate, rude and disrespectful!

• Like 1

Where did you find all this extra time to start concerning yourself with my life? Don't you have enough problems of your own?

It would be greatly appreciated if you just allow me to be me and I assure you, I will let you be you.

well you were the one saying these..

I have no idea what happens with our soul and spirit when we die. I haven't died yet so I have no idea. I do know that our body will return to Earth.

But just because we don't know what will happen to our soul and spirit when we die shouldn't have any effect on how we live our life while we have a body to live with.

this is why I said you know very little and yet you keep pushing your standards on how to live life on earth on others..

you are already showing your fears about the winters and diseases in the himalayas..

i am not twisting what you said..

I am stating facts about that region and what one can expect to encounter. I suppose you believe that is all an illusion?

That is very inappropriate, rude and disrespectful!

Have to agree, you have not spent a single second in her shoes bol why on earth do you think you know what's best for her? it's just arrogance in the extreme

• Like 2

Yeah, sad about the singer. It is probably a given that her life is changed forever. I hope she pulls through it.

Non's life will always be in the dumps until he wakes up and adjusts the way he looks at life's priorities ..

The gods will hit NON continuously without fail until he wakes up and realizes that the love between man and woman is always fleeting and insignificant compared to the love between a human being and God..

Well, you know I don't hold to the concepts of gods but you are right, I think. As long as we continue to put ourself in a position where crap can happen to us it is very likely that crap will continue to happen to us.

Words from a song: If nobody else loves you, you can always love yourself.

And that is meaning love without the inflated ego.

well you were the one saying these..

I have no idea what happens with our soul and spirit when we die. I haven't died yet so I have no idea. I do know that our body will return to Earth.

this is why I said you know very little and yet you keep pushing your standards on how to live life on earth on others..

How does that bother you? The fact that I say I know nothing absolute? My standards it is I am presenting? I have never, as far as I know, stated that "my way" is the only way. Of course I have my opinions and understandings. Don't we all? I have no fear of presenting mine. Even if someone disagrees with me it good because they might be shining a light on something I was to that time unable to see.

Would you feel better if every time I say something I prefix it with "This is my opinion and understanding:"

So what do you know absolute? Care to share?

I agree, no realization is permanent. Flush buddhahood down the toilet.

@BoL

You can't find joys in daily life. So now you chase after spiritual bliss thinking it will lead to salvation. Gold is right, you are trading one fear for another, one goal for another. At heart, it's no different than compared to a man chasing sexual pleasures. You are seeking states, seeking pleasures, seeking powers. How are you any different?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with either! Be ok with suffering and death. Accept them totally. When you are in struggle with them you are simply creating a reaction, a polarity that strengthens their significance. Everything simple comes and goes, just be at peace with the world.

No I am chasing after something .. a prize greater than money or sex or family or children..

I am chasing after immortality itself...

How is that any different?

Because the powers gained when immortality is given will give you the new freedoms of creating any reality which you want..

including the powers to benefit others and relieve them of suffering and ignorance if you wish to..

as long as you are only hankering after money and sex and family and children, you will be extremely limited in your capacity to create new improved realities..

Chasing after immortality and enlightenment is vastly different from chasing after money and sex and family and children..

Please do not put both groups in the same basket.

The only fear I have is wasting time and energies on useless activities eg sex,money family, children while ignoring the main goal of life which is enlightenment and immortality.

I am totally fine with death and suffering as long as it is death and suffering endured while chasing the CORRECT goals of life.

If I have to suffer and even die in vain while chasing immortality, then so be it. I am totally fine with it. My suffering will not be in vain and my death will serve a higher purpose!

What I detest however is to suffer and die in vain while chasing after women and sex and money and family and children. This will totally result in useless suffering and useless deaths!

• Like 1

Have to agree, you have not spent a single second in her shoes bol why on earth do you think you know what's best for her? it's just arrogance in the extreme

I have already said I would not do the same thing if I were in her shoes.

I have also said that it is her life and she has the right and freedom to do with it as she please.

Please re-read the post again. Cheers!

I have already said I would not do the same thing if I were in her shoes.

I have also said that it is her life and she has the right and freedom to do with it as she please.

Please re-read the post again. Cheers!

Even though I am a fierce advocate of free speech, I think you should be banned for what you said to her. I reread what you said and it is you who are twisting what you stated.

How does that bother you? The fact that I say I know nothing absolute? My standards it is I am presenting? I have never, as far as I know, stated that "my way" is the only way. Of course I have my opinions and understandings. Don't we all? I have no fear of presenting mine. Even if someone disagrees with me it good because they might be shining a light on something I was to that time unable to see.

Would you feel better if every time I say something I prefix it with "This is my opinion and understanding:"

So what do you know absolute? Care to share?

Look, I do know some stuff that you don't ok?

This is why I am looking at things differently.

There are also lots of stuff which I do not know.

A lot of people do not know what happens to the soul after death.

I know cos I spent too much time connecting the dots and I know how to get out of the prison. The answers have been quoted in my posts far too many times.

We live in a prison and there are controllers, human, ET and otherwise trying to prevent us from leaving the prison.

This is one of the most important facts of life which everybody must acknowledge.

There is a way out and a number of people know this way out.

Now I am choosing the best way out for me and it might not necessarily be the best method in the world for me but given the current resources and information and contacts at my disposal, it is the best road.

Some of you might have even better roads than me. Some of you might already have masters living in the same city as you and you are satisfied with that.

Well I don't have nothing and this is why I am moving to the Himalayas because the number of teachers in the Himalayas and the skill-level of such teachers far outstrip the teachers found in major cities..

And even if the teachers in the Himalayas refuse to teach me, I will meditate there till my death because the energies of the Himalayas will help me reach my destination much faster..

• Like 1

Even though I am a fierce advocate of free speech, I think you should be banned for what you said to her. I reread what you said and it is you who are twisting what you stated.

well what do you want me to say?

that a recovering alcoholic should find love in another recovering alcoholic so both of them can understand the demons plaguing each other?

i am sorry mate but the truth hurts and someone gotta say the painful truth sometimes even if it is not politically correct..

• Like 1

To deny the physical aspect of Tao is to deny the most important aspect of the human experience.

who ever says the physical aspect of the Tao includes marriage, sex, work, career, family and children?

• Like 1