Sign in to follow this  
Nanashi

Wabi Sabi

Wabi sabi -

I spent a glorious few days visiting my daughter on the West Coast. Returning home I am filled with the contentment that she is enjoying herself and growing into a wonderful young woman, and I am filled with the profound longing to be with her - to hug her and see her smile.

• Like 2

Thank you Nanashi!

I have never heard the term, although the beauty is evident to me.

If I could attempt to translate, I would say harmonious existence without want beyond need.

Would that be close?

Edited by Informer
  • Like 1

I look at wabi sabi as a quality of beauty that is related to something that is unattainable, removed, distant, mysterious, and so on.

It has a bitter-sweet quality.

A classic example is the beauty of a remote mountain valley that I can never reach but only imagine and long for.

• Like 1

Thank you Nanashi!

I have never heard the term, although the beauty is evident to me.

If I could attempt to translate, I would say harmonious existence without want beyond need.

Would that be close?

It feels close.. as in near, familiar, and intangible.. too close to touch, too close to "want beyond need"..

Be well..

• Like 1

What a fantastic concept: the beauty of the imperfect!

In an era of hyper-heightened airbrushed aesthetics (Playboy, Cosmo models, TV stars, etc.), it's easy to overlook the beauty of the real.

Even here on the Bums, I think certainty is often valued over thoughtfulness, sound bites over nuance.

Ideals can be so tempting to believe in and strive for, because they define value in our culture. But ideals are also traps. With an ideal, the imaginary "perfect" is the only thing that lives up to expectations, and anything less/different is seen as lacking. Therefore, the world is always lacking, is always wrong.

Wabi sabi sounds much more appealing. Perfect = "what is", and any way that we can improve on "what is", is just gravy. :wub:

• Like 3

I really enjoy what everyone is bringing to the table in this thread. Our interpretations of the "wabi sabi" concept are like pieces of the puzzle-- and they all fit, yet the missing pieces wholly define the concept itself. Even trying to pin down "wabi sabi" has a recursive, wabi sabi quality.

I love this, it is a very sobering yet emotionally intense feeling.

If one can master astral travel and lucid dreaming, one will never be lonely..

Even better, if you can master bilocation, you can instantly travel to the cities and back to your hermit hut again in the twinkling of an eye..

Those old fools..

instead of wasting time on reminiscing and poetry, they should have spent more time on training instead!

What a waste of a golden opportunity to train in those very lifetimes!

Even better, if you can master bilocation, you can instantly travel to the cities and back to your hermit hut again in the twinkling of an eye..

Those old fools..

instead of wasting time on reminiscing and poetry, they should have spent more time on training instead!

btw for those hermit would-be in here..

mantak chia alone has over bloody 36 DVDs of real TAOISM training..

there are at least a few hundred reliable spiritual instructors and authors on the net nowadays..

you have time to reminisce and compose poetry? why not spend more time on chakra kundalini micros orbit meditation?

we now live in the age of the net..

feel lonely? wanna talk to strangers?

just log onto some random chat and chat away!

shhesssh... times have changed, the game has changed and people are still dredging up stuff from 8 centuries ago .. LOL..

You sir, may have been bewitched by a fox spirit. I suggest you steel your mind, lest you succumb to further lunacy.

Edited by Nanashi

Those old fools..

One can be lonely in a room full of friends.

One can be completely immune to loneliness without any human contact.

No need to bother with imaginary goals.

Life is practice. Poetry is practice.

That's the secret you may find after spending a few decades in a cave.

How much time do you think Chia spends training when he's creating 36 DVD's and writing dozens of books?

You're quite entertaining, BOL, thanks for your contributions.

• Like 3

Those old fools..

Hmnn, To me the Wabi writer is simple and accomplished. Poetry was his practice. He didn't have any powers or crave them. I take that back, his power was simplicity and contentment. His power was to eat a wild berry and say yum. Accomplished indeed.

Hmnn, To me the Wabi writer is simple and accomplished. Poetry was his practice. He didn't have any powers or crave them. I take that back, his power was simplicity and contentment. His power was to eat a wild berry and say yum. Accomplished indeed.

Nicely said. Thanks...

Sign in to follow this