Sign in to follow this  
Encephalon

A Parent's Tao Te Ching: A New Interpretation

Beautiful!

How important it is for parents to humble their role in the "moulding" of their child. The child is born with its original nature; every attempt at shaping, no matter how well intended, creates corruption and dysfunction.

They are not clay for our concepts and our desires; they are living beings, with their own mind and soul, and access to an unspoken wisdom that most adults have forgotten.

The test of new parents, I think, is the test of patience. Can I surrender my need to control this being? Can I allow their inner guidance to blossom and grow, with the least bit of interference? Can I see my role as just the gardener, who tends and prunes and weeds, but does not force or bind? Can I be like the Taoist ruler, who creates the fewest laws, who allows and trusts the organic wisdom of the child?

What better gift could we possibly give our kids, than to leave their inner guidance intact? Rather than create an "internal parent" with rules, concepts, shame, shoulds, etc., that will be the basis for their judge and their overall ego, can we be selfless enough to recognize the spark of genius in our child, and just be kind enough to fan that spark into flame?

It's a big test.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,

For they have their own thoughts.

I think this is also a great response to the "power of thoughts" OP.

• Like 1

Otis, i could not agree more .

Blasto, you may very well be a super parent :)

so much wisdom on this one post.

and thanks for reminding me to knock the dust off my Kalhi Gibran

Magnificent words. Very close to my heart, my experience, and my efforts at parenting.

Wonderful guides for my inconsistent and faltering efforts.

Right now I'm embracing the experience of my daughter's first significant relationship with a young man.

In fact, I hope to get to meet him in the next few days.

Thanks for the great posts Scott.

Right now I'm embracing the experience of my daughter's first significant relationship with a young man.

:excl: Wow! That's a big one. Good luck with that!

Otis, i could not agree more .

Blasto, you may very well be a super parent :)

so much wisdom on this one post.

and thanks for reminding me to knock the dust off my Kalhi Gibran

Thanks, my friend. I think what I really have going for me is that I waited until I was old enough to be a grandfather to have my first child, and that on the day of my daughter's birth I will have completed 4 years of steady nei kung practice. 'Twas the healthiest thing I ever did for myself or my family.

Good luck with that, Steve!

Edited by Blasto

Sign in to follow this