ejr1069

Please help me to teach my kids about the power of thought

I want to start teaching my children about the power of the mind and to control their thoughts in order to create the personality traits and life that they desire. I thought about maybe planting 10 thoughts in their head that they can use to apply to most life situations, and to have them frequently repeat those thoughts in their head. Thoughts like:

1. I am hard working

2. I am intelligent

3. I am kind, loving and compassionate

4. I am accepting and accept my friends and family the way they are

5. I am ethical

6. I am happy

7. I am truthful

If you had to pick just 10 thoughts to teach your kids to repeat in their minds over and over and to apply to their lives over and over, what 10 thoughts would you start with? Sure, I could pick the 10 commandments, but honestly, I want to create a list better than that. The commandments are solid principles, but I don't want them telling themselves that they can't do in life over and over, I want them repeating affirming statements that empower, not restrict them. So:

A. Do you think this is a worthwhile exercise to do with my kids?

B. If so, what are the 10 life affirming statements you would start with?

I like getting daddy hamburgers during the game. jking

Uh...Some ideas...

I am resourceful.

I am at peace.

I am beautiful.

I am caring.

I am just.

I am free.

I am artistic.

I am wise.

I am healthy.

I am you and you are me.

I think its a good idea. I really use two. Happy and helpful. If you're happy and helping others to me that's really all its about.

Yes, definitely. But it's how you do it. Having them repeat something would not be so much fun.

I think it's more in the language - the words - we use in conversation at home that will allow a child to naturally integrate with positivity.

It also depends on what personal belief and thoughts that parents believe in – in their mind. Children just pick on that kind on energy.

I also believe in teaching them through angels and fairies. Tinker bell movies, the last mimzy, finding nemo etc. - is a good time to slip some heavy knowledge to them. It will make them believe it was wholly their idea.

Oh yes have them colour, draw, paint, mandalas and other ‘ideas’ you want to reinforce in them.

Put up images, paintings etc of what you want to convey. All that subtle stuff will do the trick better, I think.

Edited by Adishakti
  • Like 1

Yes, definitely. But it's how you do it. Having them repeat something would not be so much fun.

I think it's more in the language - the words - we use in conversation at home that will allow a child to naturally integrate with positivity.

It also depends on what personal belief and thoughts that parents believe in – in their mind. Children just pick on that kind on energy.

I also believe in teaching them through angels and fairies. Tinker bell movies, the last mimzy, finding nemo etc. - is a good time to slip some heavy knowledge to them. It will make them believe it was wholly their idea.

Oh yes have them colour, draw, paint, mandalas and other ‘ideas’ you want to reinforce in them.

Put up images, paintings etc of what you want to convey. All that subtle stuff will do the trick better, I think.

Excellent response. Instead of giving the kid a list of self-descriptions (which is all reinforcement of ego - how I'm supposed to be), just give them opportunities to discover these traits for themselves.

Paulno's list is also excellent, because it is just a reminder of what is already available, not a list of what daddy expects me to live up to (which is a head-trip, not a gift). That list might make a nice poster for the wall, something the child will see and read on their own, many times, rather than something that is force-fed to them.

Edited by Otis

I like Adishakti thinking. Its better to model then command.

Strangely I've gotten a lot miles out of watching Reality Shows(!?) with my kids. Its true. Super Nanny, Kid Nation, even the Apprentice. We don't just watch them, we talk through them, whats good behavior, whats bad. Human drama is played out and by discussing it we get to know each other better. We hit on subjects that might or might not come up.

Frankly I'm more impressed with the power of action then thought. Do things with them, even if its a walk. I'd Iplod w/ my kids; hooking an ipod to two headphones so we can share and pick out different music. Walking w/ a camera and actively looking for shots.

If they're young the best present in the world IMO is hand puppets. Its a way to talk to your kid and be silly with them. A great way to hug and attack and play.

Edited by thelerner

I want to start teaching my children about the power of the mind and to control their thoughts in order to create the personality traits and life that they desire. I thought about maybe planting 10 thoughts in their head that they can use to apply to most life situations, and to have them frequently repeat those thoughts in their head. Thoughts like:

1. I am hard working

2. I am intelligent

3. I am kind, loving and compassionate

4. I am accepting and accept my friends and family the way they are

5. I am ethical

6. I am happy

7. I am truthful

If you had to pick just 10 thoughts to teach your kids to repeat in their minds over and over and to apply to their lives over and over, what 10 thoughts would you start with? Sure, I could pick the 10 commandments, but honestly, I want to create a list better than that. The commandments are solid principles, but I don't want them telling themselves that they can't do in life over and over, I want them repeating affirming statements that empower, not restrict them. So:

Very tough questions.

I don't think we can put thoughts in our kids' heads nor really mold them with our thoughts.

Our actions, on the other hand, speak loudly and clearly to them.

Rather than teach them what to think and how to act, demonstrate how a man with compassion and integrity leads his life.

Show them this in your every interaction with them and even when they are not there.

That is the most effective way to teach our children, I believe.

It may not seem so at first, but years later you will know.

A few wonderful guides in the form of books are -

Summerhill - AS Neil A radical view of education which shows us the power that is within our children

The Happy Child - Steven Harrison A non-dual view of education

The Parents' Tao Te Ching - William Martin An application of Dao De Jing to parenting - brilliant!

Check out Blasto's recent thread here - http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/18532-a-parents-tao-te-ching-a-new-interpretation/

Edited by steve f
  • Like 1

An inspiring reflection on Children by The Prophet/Kahlil Gibran -

Your children are not your children.

They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for Itself.

They come through you but not from you,

and though they are with you, yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love, but not your thoughts,

for they have their own thoughts.

You may house their bodies but not their souls,

for their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit,

not even in your dreams.

You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you

for life goes not backwards nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.

The Archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you

with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.

Let your bending in the Archer's hand be for gladness;

For even as He loves the arrows that flies,

so He loves also the bow that is stable.

• Like 2

Very tough questions.

I don't think we can put thoughts in our kids' heads nor really mold them with our thoughts.

Our actions, on the other hand, speak loudly and clearly to them.

Rather than teach them what to think and how to act, demonstrate how a man with compassion and integrity leads his life.

Show them this in your every interaction with them and even when they are not there.

That is the most effective way to teach our children, I believe.

Excellent!