Otis

Beach Combat!

Dear fellow Angelenos,

I want to invite you to join me and some friends, each Friday throughout summer, to join in some sword-fighting and grappling mayhem at Santa Monica beach.

I bring my shinai (bamboo swords) and foam-covered swords, as well as kendo and hand-to-hand armor, and we engage in friendly combat play. No refs, no points, no bloodlust, just good clean fights.

I find it is an excellent way to awaken and move certain elements inside myself, without being caught up in the toxicity of real violence or intense competition. It's choose-your-own-adventure, find your own inner warrior, and go out for pizza afterwards camaraderie.

Location: just a bit south of the Santa Monica pier, past the volleyball courts and gymnastics park area, right by the big traveling rings set, in front of the bicycle rental place (blue awning). 5pm until sunset, throughout the summer. PM me, if you have questions or want my cell #.

Hope to see (and spar with) some Bums this Friday!

• Like 1

Sounds like a blast! If i'm ever in the area, I'll give you a heads up.

Sounds great, Steve!

For the rest of you: I just got some new armor and fixed some old weapons, so we have capacity for more combatants at any one time. Come play if you can!

Sounds great, Steve!

For the rest of you: I just got some new armor and fixed some old weapons, so we have capacity for more combatants at any one time. Come play if you can!

Sounds like huge fun, sorry I can't be there. Shades of some of my old acquaintances in the 'Society for Creative Anachronism'. Good Times, good times.

Sounds like huge fun, sorry I can't be there. Shades of some of my old acquaintances in the 'Society for Creative Anachronism'. Good Times, good times.

My most consistent (and intense) partner/opponent is an SCA alum. Even made his own leather armor.

Similar vibe, too, I imagine, in terms of: it's all swashbuckling. We're probably a little less competitive.

I will be there, but I need to do some shapeshifting first. Look for a very large Western Gull with a bright orange spot on his lower mandible. He will be pulling plastic bags out of a trash can and doing stupid things with them. That'll be me. :ph34r:

I will be there, but I need to do some shapeshifting first. Look for a very large Western Gull with a bright orange spot on his lower mandible. He will be pulling plastic bags out of a trash can and doing stupid things with them. That'll be me. :ph34r:

Ah yes, I think I've seen you there before.