Sign in to follow this  
mjjbecker

Tears of the Soul

I was talking with my mother this evening about a friend who is currently hospitalised as the result of a stroke. This friend's slow recovery has been very hard for the friend to deal with. Previously very active, she has been bedridden for several weeks now. Unable to rest mentally or physically, the doctors have resorted to giving her anti-depressants.

I mentioned that in China, qi projection has been used with some success in the treatment of stroke patients and that it was a shame that this kind of therapy was not generally accepted in the west.

With this in mind, after the call I did some Stillness Movement practice. Since January, and meeting Michael, I've noticed my energy is doing a lot of work on the heart. At times I can feel my laogong points burning as they project qi into my heart area. Yesterday my heart area itself was burning. Non of this from my own deliberate intent, but simply the practice following its own path.

While the energy worked, I thought about my mothers friend, but also about others in hospitals. From babies, children and adults, to the dying. I pondered being present at the death of someone I love in the future, and what I could do to help them. Could I be strong enough and compassionate enough to help them way and not be caught up in my own attachment to them?

I 'knew' I could help all of these people in some way. It all comes down to having the right knowledge and the wisdom to apply it.

I'm currently re-reading John Blofeld's book on Guan Yin, and it struck me about the nature of compassion and the 'hearer of cries'. As I thought about these people and their suffering, and I thought about how I might be able to help in some way, I could feel the sorrow rising up from my heart. Not in some abstract manner, but ripples rising up my chest and then out.

Here is the thing. The compassion I was feeling was not directed at myself, but towards others. Yet, here it was releasing my own sorrow. Ripples, rising then dissipating. The last time I remember this happening was three years ago, almost exact to the date. Then, under different circumstances, the energy crashed like Atlantic breakers on a cliff. Physically and mentally the pain was terrible. Now it was more like being a child again. Vulnerable, but protected within the loving embrace of a parent.

Blofeld writes beautifully about the nature of Guan Yin and of Buddhism and of how nothing is separate from MIND. As always it is one thing to understand something intellectually and another to understand it from experience. This evening I felt a direct connection to why Guan Yin has vowed to stay and help all sentient beings to enter nirvana rather than simply seek this alone.

For me, the path towards peace of mind comes from giving and service, not from taking and self interest. Compassion is all encompassing. There is no separation of what is within and without. Whatever we feel towards others sits also within us.

It is often difficult to live by such feelings. Modern life and the struggles that almost everyone seems to bear in society makes us forget about this shared burden. We get fixated on our own problems and forget that others are struggling also.

For a long time I felt overwhelmed by all of this. A sense of utter fatigue with life and what it entailed. While each day brings its own issues I no longer feel so drained over it. I have no doubt that my practice of Stillness Movement has helped with this. I noticed recently that I am able to let go of things that bother me much easier than before. The emotional charge is not as intense as it was. I still feel, and feel strongly at times, but I don't seem to crucify myself over it like before. It is all work in progress, but it is progress.

I know a few people here have followed some of my posts across this and other forums over the years. Despite my previous experiences, I have no problem saying that for me Michael Lomax is one of the most remarkable people I have ever met. Stillness Movement AND Gift of the Tao are some of the most remarkable practices I have encountered. Energetically they are amazingly powerful, but unlike some practices, they are also amazingly healing with it. What's more, they bring on the potential to help others and not just the person practising them. I truly hope people will take advantage of any opportunity they get to meet Michael and experience what he has to offer. It is on a par with some of the most remarkable, profound methods to come out of China-energetically, spiritually and for healing.

There is no 'perfect' time to go and meet remarkable people and to learn from them. There is only now and the opportunities that now presents. Be it Michael Lomax or any other teacher you feel compelled to meet, don't put it off. Go for it, and if it is mean't to be, fate will provide the means.

Michael is holding a workshop in June. For anyone that feels this might be for them and can get there, don't pass up the opportunity.

http://www.qigongamerica.com/

• Like 6

Hey, Sorry about your mother's friend.

I agree about compassion. Recently I heard the Dali Lama speak, and he mentioned (in reverse pyschology) it is not reasonable to expect reading mantras will solve health problems. But he reads them when he is sick. :)

Therefore instead he advocated some sort of esoteric understanding that the act of mantra reading would connect yourself to the infinite compassion and enable you to take action out of compassion. Something like that.

Why don't you give the friend Qigong to do? There are many benefits-- one being that you obtain a better feeling of being enabled to help her. There are forms of qigong you can do bedridden.

Not confirmed, but I believe SFQ qigong allows you to do bedridden exercises... Also, since you practice qigong, perhaps you can give her some movements that tonify the exact specific imbalances in her body. I don't know that much about TCM & her condition but perhaps you can find someone to guide you more.

Btw nice catchy title.

Cheers.

Edited by starhawk

Good points.

I am several thousand miles away in another country and wont be back until early next year.

On a treatment side, I lack the clinical experience-something I consider to be very important, particularly when trying to help a person with a very serious condition. Good intentions without the knowledge and wisdom to back them up can be dangerous for both the patient and the healer. That is something I am in the process of rectifying.

Unfortunately you can show people qigong methods to help them, but you can't always get them to do the practice. This I've learned from experience.

I was talking with my mother this evening about a friend who is currently hospitalised as the result of a stroke. This friend's slow recovery has been very hard for the friend to deal with. Previously very active, she has been bedridden for several weeks now. Unable to rest mentally or physically, the doctors have resorted to giving her anti-depressants.

I mentioned that in China, qi projection has been used with some success in the treatment of stroke patients and that it was a shame that this kind of therapy was not generally accepted in the west.

With this in mind, after the call I did some Stillness Movement practice. Since January, and meeting Michael, I've noticed my energy is doing a lot of work on the heart. At times I can feel my laogong points burning as they project qi into my heart area. Yesterday my heart area itself was burning. Non of this from my own deliberate intent, but simply the practice following its own path.

While the energy worked, I thought about my mothers friend, but also about others in hospitals. From babies, children and adults, to the dying. I pondered being present at the death of someone I love in the future, and what I could do to help them. Could I be strong enough and compassionate enough to help them way and not be caught up in my own attachment to them?

I 'knew' I could help all of these people in some way. It all comes down to having the right knowledge and the wisdom to apply it.

I'm currently re-reading John Blofeld's book on Guan Yin, and it struck me about the nature of compassion and the 'hearer of cries'. As I thought about these people and their suffering, and I thought about how I might be able to help in some way, I could feel the sorrow rising up from my heart. Not in some abstract manner, but ripples rising up my chest and then out.

Here is the thing. The compassion I was feeling was not directed at myself, but towards others. Yet, here it was releasing my own sorrow. Ripples, rising then dissipating. The last time I remember this happening was three years ago, almost exact to the date. Then, under different circumstances, the energy crashed like Atlantic breakers on a cliff. Physically and mentally the pain was terrible. Now it was more like being a child again. Vulnerable, but protected within the loving embrace of a parent.

Blofeld writes beautifully about the nature of Guan Yin and of Buddhism and of how nothing is separate from MIND. As always it is one thing to understand something intellectually and another to understand it from experience. This evening I felt a direct connection to why Guan Yin has vowed to stay and help all sentient beings to enter nirvana rather than simply seek this alone.

For me, the path towards peace of mind comes from giving and service, not from taking and self interest. Compassion is all encompassing. There is no separation of what is within and without. Whatever we feel towards others sits also within us.

It is often difficult to live by such feelings. Modern life and the struggles that almost everyone seems to bear in society makes us forget about this shared burden. We get fixated on our own problems and forget that others are struggling also.

For a long time I felt overwhelmed by all of this. A sense of utter fatigue with life and what it entailed. While each day brings its own issues I no longer feel so drained over it. I have no doubt that my practice of Stillness Movement has helped with this. I noticed recently that I am able to let go of things that bother me much easier than before. The emotional charge is not as intense as it was. I still feel, and feel strongly at times, but I don't seem to crucify myself over it like before. It is all work in progress, but it is progress.

I know a few people here have followed some of my posts across this and other forums over the years. Despite my previous experiences, I have no problem saying that for me Michael Lomax is one of the most remarkable people I have ever met. Stillness Movement AND Gift of the Tao are some of the most remarkable practices I have encountered. Energetically they are amazingly powerful, but unlike some practices, they are also amazingly healing with it. What's more, they bring on the potential to help others and not just the person practising them. I truly hope people will take advantage of any opportunity they get to meet Michael and experience what he has to offer. It is on a par with some of the most remarkable, profound methods to come out of China-energetically, spiritually and for healing.

There is no 'perfect' time to go and meet remarkable people and to learn from them. There is only now and the opportunities that now presents. Be it Michael Lomax or any other teacher you feel compelled to meet, don't put it off. Go for it, and if it is mean't to be, fate will provide the means.

Michael is holding a workshop in June. For anyone that feels this might be for them and can get there, don't pass up the opportunity.

http://www.qigongamerica.com/

Although inroads have been made in the last 15 years or so, IMO not nearly enough therapists/doctors/healers embrace this amazing form of healing therapy. If enough of these therapists/doctors/healers embraced medical qigong then it would go a long ways in generating acceptance.

... Guan Yin...
:)

These are great realizations and a strong part of what I call "assuming responsibility" for who you really are.

Stillness-Movement practices help awaken us not only to these realizations but gives us the tools to do something about it. Your qi is strong and you can do more at this point than you realize. I predict that over the next few years you will become an exceptional qigong healer. A strong point of becoming such a healer are the realizations posted above.

...Stillness Movement AND Gift of the Tao are some of the most remarkable practices I have encountered. Energetically they are amazingly powerful, but unlike some practices, they are also amazingly healing with it. What's more, they bring on the potential to help others and not just the person practising them..

The integration of the practice for awareness along with giving a person the ability to intensely help others in a direct manner with qi manipulation does indeed make these very strong practices; there are too few systems that actually combine so many healing methods along with the self-development in a natural and easy progression.

• Like 1

I don't understand, what spiritual benefits does S-M have?

What about when we put life and death in perspective?

What about sense?

Enlightening?

Immortality?

:blush:

What about sense?

Enlightening?

Immortality?

Read Michael's book.

Read Michael's book.

Yes, ditto.

I cannot even begin to describe on how many different levels Michael's book and Gift of the Tao Stillness/Movements (and Michael himself, so generously) has helped me (not just isolate in my spiritual practice), let alone being quite an entertaining read in and of itself. Thank you Michael!

Barely related rant: it's sort of sad in a way, because of common people's subconscious (mis)perception/analysis of surface matters... I think if Michael were happen to be of Asian descent, his consideration and reception of a Qi Gong master would be tenfold, at least...

I've even seen it rather not so subtly implied on these forums in debate on the validity of Michael's teachings, as if the trump card of the skeptic is that HIS teacher is of true Asian descent and lineage.. oh and that because Michael wears sneakers and simple modest clothing instead of a monk robe or kimono he must be a total charlatan... and all conveniently ignoring the fact that Michael's techniques anyways derive from his understudy of authentic Asian masters...

Oh, the superficiality of some people...

Edited by fizix

What about sense?

Enlightening?

Immortality?

I have made many posts on this board concerning the spiritual pathway of one of the more powerful neigong systems available, Stillness-Movement neigong. Do you have a specific question to ask?

As already suggested, you can always read the book.

Immortality? Are you speaking physical or Spiritual? How many physical immortals do you know?

Your questions are obtuse philosophical questions that have been debated since time began.

• Like 2

ok i'll read the book

Edited by Little1

I feel to ask what is spiritual or not is not too accurate.

In my view, everything relates back to spirit.

If one learns some form(s) or practices that fortifies the spirit, its of course beneficial.

On the other hand, if one conducts life based on practices, principles, and attitudes which disperses spirit, then its counter-beneficial.

Both are spiritual, in a sense. Increase and decrease.

If a child is hugged with love and acceptance, that is an act of spirit - beneficial not only to self but at the same time the child's sense of well-being is enhanced. This is fortification. But if its done as a matter of fact, then it dissipates spirit, again, for both parties.

For example, science and spirituality seems opposed. Yet, there are many scientists who know how to polarize a mind of science and a mind of spirit. When they are at work, their profession dictates that they operate within a scientific paradigm, and when they leave work, they are just as comfortable inquiring into things of the spirit. Many scientists do go to church, or have a spiritual base. Its not an indication of hypocrisy, dissonance or conflict... perhaps what this indicates is a trait that demands the expansion of limited views. Its when this compartmentalization becomes a burden, where stuff begins seeping and weaving in and out of these separate functions, and people lose sight of things, that life becomes challenging. However, this in no way indicates that spirit has been abandoned - in fact, its times like these that some find greater inspiration to regroup the spirit, and move beyond these challenges.

Its all about acceptance, connection, and surpassing limitations, at some fundamental level.

Of course, in present day earth, marketing plays a vital role in most things spiritual... but that's a different thing altogether.... :D

Thought I would address this a bit more here. There is way more than I can write in a post but here are some key things.

Stillness-Movement practice raises the vibration of the energy body. This does multiple things. AS we go through life, from childhood to where we are at any given now, we are told by those surrounding us that things are a certain way; i.e. mind induced beliefs. These beliefs becomes reinforced over and over. They become imprinted in the energy body and are filters through which we evaluate and see things. These imprints are actually very powerful.

By practicing Stillness-Movement and raising the energy body vibration we first burn through all these filters. As we do so, we slowly start seeing the true underlying nature of things. This is the first step.

By practicing Stillness-Movement we also learn to cut the mind/brain influence through a dampening of the brain waves and tuning into pure Light. This is another step. The mind becomes the slave instead of the ruler; it IS the ruler in the majority of the population and becomes our worst enemy, totally suppressing our connection to who we really are and our Higher Level self. So, mastering the slave and the true you becoming the ruler is another step.

All this leads toward connection with the real you, the Higher Level self. So another step is to integrate yourself.

Then we learn to practice stopping the world and what I call "Listening". This is a moment by moment of the moment process and takes quite a bit of practice. My next book concentrates on this "Listening" process.

Eventually, these process steps help us to learn to SEE.

True compassion develops through the integration of ourselves. Through this process, due to our raising the energy body vibration, we learn to help others through the direct manipulation of the very fabric of the universe. This is our Stillness-Movement medical qigong. A part of this is about assuming responsibility for who you really are. This manipulation of energetics IS futures's medicine today. (Future's medicine but learned and practiced NOW by students of Stillness-Movement).

SEERS see this as a person practices:

1) Dan Tian becomes vibrant and dense and larger, becoming more vibrant and more dense until a white light rises up through the body, opening in turn each and every energy center in a natural and easy progression. Then it pops out the top of the head and connects with Heaven.

There are many ways to look at this. In more traditional Taoist terms we could say the teacher lights the fire and creates dan tian in the student. We could talk about the "Listening" as the practice of High Virtue and learning "dancing in the wu wei".

I could go on; hopefully this helps.

• Like 7

I could go on; hopefully this helps.

Please do go on, this helped but only in part.

In my understanding, spirituality really starts there where the physical body doesn't play any part any more.

For example, JAJ says that getting your energy body active and able to meet your teachers in the subtle realm is really the first step; until then, it's kindergarden mostly, and i feel he is right; the tonal interferes too much; much of the learning takes place 'on the other side'.

Please do go on, this helped but only in part.

In my understanding, spirituality really starts there where the physical body doesn't play any part any more.

For example, JAJ says that getting your energy body active and able to meet your teachers in the subtle realm is really the first step; until then, it's kindergarden mostly, and i feel he is right; the tonal interferes too much; much of the learning takes place 'on the other side'.

If you want info from JAJ go see him.

Until you have undergone the things I posted above it means nothing so to talk further means nothing. It all becomes self-evident with the practice.

If I told you that yes, this is exactly what we do in Stillness-Movement Dreaming Neigong, then you would want to know what the next step was, and so on. EVERYONE has to start where they are NOW and move forward. TALKING does not raise the energy body vibration, practice does. This is what it takes BEFORE any of the other things can happen.

It really is a never ending process. There are ALWAYS higher levels, even in Spiritual immortality.

Read the book, and if you have specific questions about Stillness-Movement I would be glad to answer them.

Edited by Ya Mu
  • Like 3

If I told you that yes, this is exactly what we do in Stillness-Movement Dreaming Neigong, then you would want to know what the next step was, and so on. EVERYONE has to start where they are NOW and move forward.

please don't assume too much, just asked about about a part of the training that was not evident in your previous descriptions of it. not everyone is interested in healing :)

please don't assume too much, just asked about about a part of the training that was not evident in your previous descriptions of it. not everyone is interested in healing :)

Wasn't assuming at all. Just noticing what I see as a pattern.

I don't have the time to debate philosophy or religion or discuss other's qigong with the exception of an occasional comment, but I am always glad to answer specific questions about Stillness-Movement.

Really, though, all these things become self-evident through the practice.

edit:

I realize that not everyone is interested in healing others. A lack of compassion in this world is very evident. I know no pathway that comes so powerfully close as the healer's path in learning/developing true compassion.

If a qigong teacher or student can't manipulate qi, what kind of teacher or student is he/she? Not qigong or neigong, IMO.

Edited by Ya Mu

edit:

I realize that not everyone is interested in healing others. A lack of compassion in this world is very evident. I know no pathway that comes so powerfully close as the healer's path in learning/developing true compassion.

If a qigong teacher or student can't manipulate qi, what kind of teacher or student is he/she? Not qigong or neigong, IMO.

I was expecting that. As i said previously, you are assuming too much. I can definately see a pattern. :)

I was expecting that. As i said previously, you are assuming too much. I can definately see a pattern. :)

The pattern I have seen with you is this mildly passive aggressive method of posting you do which I do believe you think is not obvious to people. You have already been called out on this by others.

I am not assuming anything, just stating that I have seen distinct lack of compassion in this world. In fact, I do believe a person would have to be blind to not see this.

As far as qi manipulation goes, that IS what qigong/neigong IS and DOES. Try it sometime, you might like it.

The pattern I have seen with you is this mildly passive aggressive method of posting you do which I do believe you think is not obvious to people. You have already been called out on this by others.

Mildly passive agressive eh? ^_^ I like that...

Let me return the favour, and remind you what others have called you out for: if someone is not being sophomoric about you and your teachings, it doesn't necessarely mean that they are attacking you.

Some people are more direct, and they mean exactly what they say, no need to look behind their words.

I am not assuming anything, just stating that I have seen distinct lack of compassion in this world. In fact, I do believe a person would have to be blind to not see this.

As far as qi manipulation goes, that IS what qigong/neigong IS and DOES. Try it sometime, you might like it.

You were reffering to me, that's why i said it's an assumption.

Regarding healing, you of all people should know that it involves more than projecting Qi into a patient. I believe in education, not in healing.

Healing makes you dependant, education gives you a chance not to become in need of it.

For healing i reckon i mainly trust modern medicine. It has done a great job with me and my family, where no amount of 'energy work' would have. I know it goes the other way around too, just sayin..

edit : spelling

Edited by Little1

Healing makes you dependant, education gives you a chance not to become in need of it.

You have a point here, although its not a conclusive one. Modern medicine could well create more dependency compared to traditional methods, come to think of it. (cannot produce verifying figures though)

YaMu - It does seem a bit misplaced to identify/imply those without healing abilities as lacking in compassion, or that healers naturally generate more compassion than those who do not belief or practice healing. (apologies in advance if i had misunderstood the meaning of your post)

Compassionate healing, in my (small) opinion, begins with the self, and acceptance is the forerunner of self-healing. Whatever comes after is secondary. Not that alternative and secondary healing is to be dismissed, but certainly cannot be regarded as the primary initiate to a healing process.

Sometimes, even a cool breeze blowing upon someone aching with malaria fever can be quite healing. While it may not cure the sufferer as such, nevertheless any form of alleviation of discomfort/disenfranchisement can be considered compassionate, healing and noble. Healing does not always have to involve human intervention.

Sorry for the interruption. Just some thoughts here.

Edited by CowTao

You have a point here, although its not a conclusive one. Modern medicine could well create more dependency compared to traditional methods, come to think of it. (cannot produce verifying figures though)

hey CT

imo,dependency, whether on modern or traditional medicine comes when you are not informed, and prefer to rely on others for help :) i value being informed a helluva lot more than i value treatment. that's why i don't seek healing in spirituality.. i seek only what it's supposed to do, show me to the other side.

Mildly passive agressive eh? ^_^ I like that...

Let me return the favour, and remind you what others have called you out for: if someone is not being sophomoric about you and your teachings, it doesn't necessarely mean that they are attacking you.

Some people are more direct, and they mean exactly what they say, no need to look behind their words.

Regarding healing, you of all people should know that it involves more than projecting Qi into a patient. I believe in education, not in healing.

For healing i reckon i mainly trust modern medicine. It has done a great job with me and my family, where no amount of 'energy work' would have. I know it goes the other way around too, just sayin..

edit : spelling

You never for once had a legitimate question about the system I teach and you know it, but tried to start some crap with non-sense questions then throwing other qigong into it. Your passive aggressive manner is showing itself again. I did try to answer you legitimately.

Now where does this say "little (you)". Everything is not about you. You assume too much, again.

"I believe in education, not in healing.

Healing makes you dependant, education gives you a chance not to become in need of it."

What do you think medical qigong training is if not education? It doesn't matter what you believe, it is a valid medical system that works and is far less obtrusive/invasive than conventional medicine, addressing those things that conventional medicine cannot.

"Let me return the favour, and remind you what others have called you out for: if someone is not being sophomoric about you and your teachings, it doesn't necessarely mean that they are attacking you."

No one has called me out for anything that I recall. Do you think by saying it that it that others believe you?You think people don't see through your passive aggressive behavior, but I remind you again you have been called out by others on this pattern of posting (real, not just saying it). Why not just ask a real question if you really want to know something? Is that too much trouble?

Why not quit contaminating this thread, which was your original purpose, and start another about compassion and healing and neigong and your beliefs on western medicine and neigong? We have gotten far far away from the OP's posts.

YaMu - It does seem a bit misplaced to identify/imply those without healing abilities as lacking in compassion, or that healers naturally generate more compassion than those who do not belief or practice healing. (apologies in advance if i had misunderstood the meaning of your post)

Re-read and tell me where it says what you just wrote:

"I realize that not everyone is interested in healing others. A lack of compassion in this world is very evident. I know no pathway that comes so powerfully close as the healer's path in learning/developing true compassion.

If a qigong teacher or student can't manipulate qi, what kind of teacher or student is he/she? Not qigong or neigong, IMO."

Saying that I know of no pathway that is as powerful as the healer's path in learning/developing true compassion is not the same thing as saying those without healing ability lack compassion. Oranges and apples.

In neigong development and healing others, which is what this thread WAS and should be STILL be about, we develop our energetics. If we do this then don't utilize it for helping others, and just sit around, how is that showing compassion? It isn't. It also will retard/limit development of the neigong. It is like this: If we sit on the couch all day and don't exercise do our muscles not get weak? If we never think or develop our minds with exposure to life (say we sit on the couch all day and never experience anything), do our minds not get weak? It is the same with neigong development. We are referring to neigong qi development. Once a person has developed qi internally, learning creativity via manipulating the fabric of the universe (creating, or manifesting a healing) is a most excellent way to develop the qi further. Taoist thought says we have to develop compassion and practice High virtue. The healers path excels in this development. Or we can choose to sit around in the void and do nothing. Always a choice, but which path offers the best opportunity for development? IMO and IME the healer's path does. Furthermore I believe that those who choose to sit around in the void are not assuming responsibility for their true nature.

You never for once had a legitimate question about the system I teach and you know it,

i had some questions, you consider them 'ilegitimate'? ok, no problem..

but tried to start some crap with non-sense questions

so you don't like my questions, i got it

then throwing other qigong into it.

i was just giving an example that crossed my mind at the moment. obviously, for whatever reason, you find it offensive

Your passive aggressive manner is showing itself again.

if this pleases you, you may keep repeating it, i have no problem whatsoever with your saying it

I did try to answer you legitimately.

yes, you did. i asked you to continue, you told me to read you book and practice your method...

Ya Mu,

this discussion is going nowhere, you and i don't see eye to eye. better let it rest.

peace

L1

Edited by Little1

Sign in to follow this