Upfromtheashes

Extremely Reduced caloric intake - meditation and physical activity

Hey -

I am looking for personal experiences of people who have a mediation practice or energy practice and who also are relatively physically active - I have heard it is possible to reduce calories to the 500 a day range but in my experience this is just not practical - I can survive on 1600 calories a day but generally I start looking like a Skinny Indian Yogi and it just does not seem healthy to me - Realistically I need around 2500 calories a day at least although I do tend to be on the ectomorphic side anyway - I am wondering if anyone here who is consistently physically active is acually able to keep a low level of food and be healthy and happy and functional in the world and what practices you do

Thanks

look up Calorie Restricted Diets, (CR diet for short).

There are some websites on it.

Also a raw food diet can be easily a CR diet because of all the energy it gives.

Perhaps not that helpful as I'm nowhere near that low but since 2008 I only eat one meal a day in the evening, sometimes I'll have fruit during the day if I feel like it.

It did take a few months to get use to that eating style but now I have no issues eating nothing all day and then training Tai Chi and Kung fu full on for 2 hours before dinner. (Although currently my back condition has reduct that to 45 min of easy training)

anecdotal: My Dai Siging recently tried a really low call diet (same range you are speaking of) to loose weight. He found it very hard to function in his job (driving instructor) or exercise. He went back to a more normal diet within a month.

personal: I no longer feel calories is a correct measure of the "energy value" of food (greatly influenced by American science writer Gary Taubes) and I have a hunch that CR is a longevity practice.

one of the secrets to the low cal diet: eat low starch veggies. like stir fry veggies, etc, leafy greens, etc. Fruits are pretty high calorie and they can add up very quickly, can also be addicting. Same with the fats, so you'll have to balance both those out. If you eat too much fruit and can't control it then eat some root veggies like carrots.

To simplify it you could try living on the 3 algae types, being very generous at first.

Hey Thanks for the experiences -

I guess I was looking for people who have acually done it - who acually have been able to maintain a low calorie intake and be functional - energetic - vibrant - Have sexual energy and engage in physical activity - Are there balanced happy humans who are able to live on even relatively low calories -

Thanks

Hey Thanks for the experiences -

I guess I was looking for people who have acually done it - who acually have been able to maintain a low calorie intake and be functional - energetic - vibrant - Have sexual energy and engage in physical activity - Are there balanced happy humans who are able to live on even relatively low calories -

Thanks

I tried and found the answer was "no"