spiraltao

Lucid Dreamimg

Hello, I have been quite the avid lucid dreamer for about 18 years now. I keep a dream journal.

I was just wondering if any other tao bums here that have experienced a dream only to see it come to fruition in real life?

Just interested in pretty much any input, personal experience or anything of that ilk.

I put this here because i am new here and don't want to waste space in the main forums.

Oddly (or not) enough I was shaken awake by a family member who told me that I was screaming in my sleep. Whew.

I can remember what I was dreaming. In my dream I was trying to shout, but was unable to scream loud enough to warn my father of impending danger.

Might sound silly, but was very real.

So obviously that dream was not quite lucid as I could not do as I wished inside that world.

Edited by jaysahnztao

J, this would get more attention in the taoist discussion section. it is a good topic for a thread. i am sure it will get some response if posted there. i dont think that many bums venture down to the basement often.

maybe a mod could move it there.

~~~ TheTaoBums Moderation Team ~~~

I put this here [in the basement] because i am new here and don't want to waste space in the main forums.

I took the liberty of moving this topic to the main Taoist Discussion area (which is really for nearly everything, not just Taoist). The basement/off topic areas are for brawls or for topics that aren't spiritually oriented at all, respectively.

Hope this helps,

Trunk

~~~ Mod Squad out ~~~

• Like 1

~~~ TheTaoBums Moderation Team ~~~

I took the liberty of moving this topic to the main Taoist Discussion area (which is really for nearly everything, not just Taoist). The basement/off topic areas are for brawls or for topics that aren't spiritually oriented at all, respectively.

Hope this helps,

Trunk

~~~ Mod Squad out ~~~

thanks! I look forward to any input. I will update in the morning if I do indeed dream.

In the past I gained weightlessness/short periods of soaring in the clouds and the view is absolutely magnificent. I can see a city underneath, the funny thing is the city is never set in the same chronological time period. Also quite often I jump over large bodies of water. Then there is the talking cat fish who is often harsh, but offers advice that applies in the real world.

Just a few thoughts...

I've been lucid dreaming since I was a kid. First found out it had a name in 6th grade.

For a period of about 4 years (last two years of high school, first two years of college), I was really into lucid dreaming. Got really serious into that mind hacking stuff and whatnot. Trying to be lucid every night, trying to get to know my subconscious, memories I had forgotten (like pages upon pages of textbooks- being able to recall any info through 100% lucid dream would be VERY handy), contacting spirits, or whatever else dreams are made of.

One week I did some "seclusion" thing. Didn't leave my apartment for a week. No tv. No internet. No friends or family. Lots of mediation, reflection, and focus on lucid dreaming. Had to clear out the surface layer of mind to ease into the dream state.

Well I noticed THEN, EXACTLY how much dream material is from day to day thoughts and actions. A LOT. Even thinking about meditation gets turned around and stuff like that. Ever since that time, I've been able to trace exactly where all of my dreams come from- what snippets of conversation I've overheard, etc etc etc.

And that, in and of itself, has some value.

And I suppose I should note that even during that seclusion, I didn't have that dramatically higher a frequency of successfully inducing lucid dreams.

My point is, lucid dreaming, unless you are just one of those souls with the karma to do it "right" from the get go, is going to be nothing but your own fantasies, projections, unresolved issues, and other assortments of mental clutter. For it to get beyond that, again, you either have to be that 1 in a million person who can resolve it on their own, or you have to have some type of practice that sorts through all the gunk that is in your mind.

After that, lucid dreams, prophetic dreams, communing with spirits, etc, will happen as a RESULT of your overarching practice. Not the other way around.

I don't say this to discourage anybody, because I do think a lot of good stuff can be done with dreams even if it is only ever at the "mental inventory phase". But, unless you are that 1 in a million person, it is my humble opinion that it is highly unlikely that it will ever get to anything significantly meaningful.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

I am on the verge of lucid dreaming. The other night I dreamed that I was dreaming. My understanding is that this dream signifies the beginning of my subconscious becoming aware of itself.

Now, despite not having lucid dreams yet, I have reeceived some very deep and significant messages in my dreams.

Lucid dreaming for me has never been anything more than entertainment... or terrifying.

This is weird. Sometimes I'll be laying in bed in the morning with the news on. I drift off into a lucid dream-type thing, and then there will be characters who are actually speaking the words that are coming out of the TV - in real time! Often times they are cartoon characters or stick figures, which is even stranger. But the words are synchronistically 'matched' with those coming out of the TV - I don't know how the heck it happens, unless maybe I'm watching the Synchronicity Channel.

Galantamind

Apparently taking a combination of galantamine (a plant-derived Alzheimer's drug) and choline produces spectacularly vivid lucid dreams. You can order it on Amazon. I will report back with my experiences. Google for more background information.

Dude, isn't that drugs? Like bad for you in the long run. Does it have side effects? Woulden't the whole world take it if it improved your memory in such a drastic way? My memory is the worst memory of all. I can hardly remember the films I've watched and I rarely recall the tons of lucid dreams I've had. But taking some commercial drugs is useless.

The moment we invented writing, external memories, our internal memories were doomed. External memories has taken over the planet!! xD

Edited by Everything

After that, lucid dreams, prophetic dreams, communing with spirits, etc, will happen as a RESULT of your overarching practice. Not the other way around.

That is very true.

I've found the focus on dreaming is useless. You have to increase your awareness before your dreams also becomes more vivid and thus lucid. Once you have a real good vivid wake initiated lucid dream, you will never be able to say "I'm not dreaming, 100%" never anymore. Because in the dreams you say the same thing... In the dream you say "this is not a dream, not a question about that." And you say it every dream when you ask yourself if you are dreaming. The desire to recognize the illusions will not help that much. Infact, I believe that lucid dreaming is only available to those who no longer DESIRE it, but are actually already lucid enough not to desire.

Every dream is vivid and lucid, but without awareness the vividness is either never perceived or reached to its full potential. Everything is a dream, even your desire to lucid dream. But it is hard to keep seeing the dream, to wake up infinite times. People get tired and wish to just continue to sleep. You really have to wake up. Even now. If you wake up atleast 5 times during the day, there is a much higher chance of lucid dreaming in the night. There are infinite illusions. Every waking means one less.

For example, you might be listening to your own voice right now, as I do when I'm reading. Or you could wake up in a way as to you use other senses, or change your perception of your reality. For example, view your monitor from another perspective then your current one and observe.

Edited by Everything

So obviously that dream was not quite lucid as I could not do as I wished inside that world.

a "lucid dream" doesn't give you superpowers, depending on what those words means to you. Some people say a dream in which you know it is a dream. Lucidness, however, gives you awareness which you can use to witness higher potentials. Wether in dreams or not in dreams. Alot of people fail to do what they want even within lucid dreams. Because their reality is stuck in desire, not lucidness. Once you actually stop desiring and change reality from desiring to actually seeing that which you initially wanted, or atleast the potential of it, then you will have succeeded in waking up.

Edited by Everything

Fascinating bump

I've been lucid dreaming since I was a kid. First found out it had a name in 6th grade.

For a period of about 4 years (last two years of high school, first two years of college), I was really into lucid dreaming. Got really serious into that mind hacking stuff and whatnot. Trying to be lucid every night, trying to get to know my subconscious, memories I had forgotten (like pages upon pages of textbooks- being able to recall any info through 100% lucid dream would be VERY handy), contacting spirits, or whatever else dreams are made of.

One week I did some "seclusion" thing. Didn't leave my apartment for a week. No tv. No internet. No friends or family. Lots of mediation, reflection, and focus on lucid dreaming. Had to clear out the surface layer of mind to ease into the dream state.

Well I noticed THEN, EXACTLY how much dream material is from day to day thoughts and actions. A LOT. Even thinking about meditation gets turned around and stuff like that. Ever since that time, I've been able to trace exactly where all of my dreams come from- what snippets of conversation I've overheard, etc etc etc.

And that, in and of itself, has some value.

And I suppose I should note that even during that seclusion, I didn't have that dramatically higher a frequency of successfully inducing lucid dreams.

My point is, lucid dreaming, unless you are just one of those souls with the karma to do it "right" from the get go, is going to be nothing but your own fantasies, projections, unresolved issues, and other assortments of mental clutter. For it to get beyond that, again, you either have to be that 1 in a million person who can resolve it on their own, or you have to have some type of practice that sorts through all the gunk that is in your mind.

I don't say this to discourage anybody, because I do think a lot of good stuff can be done with dreams even if it is only ever at the "mental inventory phase". But, unless you are that 1 in a million person, it is my humble opinion that it is highly unlikely that it will ever get to anything significantly meaningful.