Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

How do you use Sound in your practices?

I've been doing some chanting for a while. Old Kabbalistic stuff. Some of it chanting vowels, Eeeeh, for top of head, Eehhhhh for throat, Aaaaahhh for heart and so on down to a groinular Uuuu.

Also in the Kabbalistic realm I've been reciting the short Jewish Shema prayer, regarding it in the realm of sacred sound and a call to be awakened and connected to Gd.

The vowel recitations seem to be pretty wide spread. Many of the sounds are close to the sacred chants in Japanese Kotodama. The founder of Aikido was very interested in these sacred sounds and considered them his true secret. (see John Stevens book, forget tittle)

Certainly you see similar sounds in Alchemical Taoism. My favorite practice from one of Michael Winns fusions tapes is to run the healing sounds circularly through the body, hitting each organ w/ its appropriate sounds and season.

I.e. starting w/ cold kidney winter Shhhuuuu, circling to warming green liver Shhhhhh, up to hotter red heart AHhhhhh, then cooling into silver fall SSssss.

I've been into the Hemisync Discovery series of CD. They have sections where you quietly hum Aaahhhs, Oooooos, and Aaaahmmmmmns.

Lots of ways to use noise. Rawna Clark who has been interpreting Franz Bardon stuff for years has said sound connects us to our astral/emotional bodies. It can go beyond our brain and capture us.

So, How do you use Sound in your practices?

Yours

Michael

I was playing around with Long vowel E, Long vowel A, Ahhhh, Oooooo (as in moo), Ummmmmm, all in one breath, sort've running together. I have only done this several times, but it had a profund effect on the time that I was able to sit in one position. I could be in pain and numbness, then do the mantra and it would dissolve (I could feel my toes again), then when I stopped the mantra it would come back. The guy who wrote the book I got it from says that most mantras are more place holders for enlightenment (my paraphrase, which may be totally off base), but this one actually puts you there (though you still have to practice the presence silently).

I didn't continue with it, partially due to embarassment, and partially due to a prejudice for the formless.

I'm doing the silent 'ayam' sound per ayp protocol. Yogani claims that it has a high degree of efficiency in delivering the experience of meditation. He says not to synchronize it with the breath and let it be 'fuzzy' so it goes deeper than working on an energy level.

What's the Aikido use look like?

Om, kick your ass I will, svaha...

Sound contain rich information when properly tuned into the cosmic energy.

I find that spontaneous sounds usually come up after some time in practice.

h

I think the Shinto Kotodama that Aikidos Ueshiba used was very vowel oriented. As I remember from John Stevens book he told his live in students, tonight I'll teach you the REAL secrets. To most of there surprise he gave a class on Kotodama chants.

In Ki Aikido during winter misogi training we'd do old fashion warrior chanting. You'd be sitting in sieza, and repeat the phrase (something like Omagashi Toemagashi) slowly, then like at revival, faster and faster, louder and louder. You'd be screaming at the verge of hyper ventilation for almost half an hour. Some of the guys would be banging on closed iron bells. Then a dip into a near frozen river. Very invigorating. I'd drive back 6 hours from St. Louis with perfect posture, perfect attention.

I think I loaned Twotrees a copy of Ron Diana's NOR meditation. Which was intonating NNnnnn OOooooo RRrrrr in a gut deep humming growl. This cleaned your mental cave :) As he said backwards it is NOR is Ron. I didn't really connect with it though.

Even without the spiritual strangeness, I think everyone has a piece of music they can disappear into,. One of my favorites is the aptly titled 'Comfortably Numb' from Pink Floyd, or Genesis 'Lamb Lies Down on Broadway' - getting old, aren't I.

Michael

Lamb lies down on Broadway!! Fun! Which song?

Speaking of the power of sound... Ueshiba and Ozzy O. have a lot in common... as time went by they could/can still rock the crowd when they are on stage. My brother tells me that Ozzy still transforms from the silly fool on tv to major stage presence and power the second the song starts.

Music has always raised folk's vibration worldwide of course, but there are those who can really tap in and fly. I'd like to be like that someday.

Lamb lies down on Broadway!! Fun! Which song?

Must be "Lamb lies down on Broadway" the song from Lamb lies down on broadway the Album.

I developed a rather strong distaste for this album actually. Might have had something to do with someone telling me that it was all an anthem on the experience and effects of a trip on the "white horse".

Personally I still really enjoy Cinema show, Firth of Forth and Supper's Ready.

(Note for those trying to figure out how old I am - I didn't really get into this music until quite some time after it's original release.)

Misspent great chunks of my youth trying to determine the full meaning of the lyrics of "Supper's Ready".

Still think Peter Gabriel is a genius.

"With the gaurds of Magog swarming around, the pied piper leads his children underground. Dragon's coming out of the sea, shimmering silver head of wisdom looking at me. He brings down the fire from the sky. You can tell he's doing well by the look in human eyes, better not compromise it won't be easy."

:huh:

Moving right along...

As some of you may have read me mention before I have been studying with Zhongxian Wu here in Portland Oregon. One of the essential bits I have learned from him is the practice of using the "Hunh" sound. This is REALLY simple and profound. In so much of chinese internal martial arts and in chikung etc one of the first tasks is referred to as "sink you chi". When originally studying the healing tao systems the emphasis was not so much on the Tan tien as it was on opening the orbit. Theoretically I suppose once this is open it will make possible circulation of chi and storage in tan tien. The Hunh sound accomplishes the sinking of the chi in a much more direct way. Basically you breath in then breath out making the sound and send it down into your belly and at the same time drop your diaphragm and breath and the sound into your tantien. The first time I did it I felt like - Wow, so that's where the tantien is! Like the sound and the movement cause an impulse to travel down to the tantien and bounce from there outward. Echo locating your tantien is perhaps another way to say it. It is another one of those things that is best transmitted by live teaching transmission. Still it is a great technique.

Master Wu also teaches what he calls Shamanic orbit chikung. This uses 6 mantras which are really simple tones along with chikung movement to open up the energy centers and circulate chi. Much more visceral than other circulation practice I had done previously.

The sound component is one of the keys. I always knew it from the beginning when I had such tremendous results with healing sounds work.

Chi eers

Craig

Hi Pero,

I'm interested in different spiritual practices that use sounds. Could you post a little on the discussion site here about Kiai Jitsu?

In Ki-Aikido we would have classes in Kiai ing. It was considered both a spiritual expression, as well as form of self defense all by itself. Unlike martial arts like Karate, it was used before an attack to shock and unsteady an opponent.

Yours

Michael

In kiai jitsu system that I practice, sounds are used for fighting, but also for healing. It has 10 levels, so far I learned up to the 6th level. The system is divided so, that the first three levels are more related to the physical, the second to emotional, and the last are mental. There are also movement exercises, standing practice and massage (coupled with sounds) in the system The system was composed by master Song Park. Here`s his site: Kiai jitsu

The same sounds are used for healing and fighting (added to the pressure points). For healing they are used similar to six healing sounds, maybe more advanced. Actually, there is a part that the sounds used are the same as in six healing sounds. I do think however that with the 6 healing sounds you might connect easier to the organ. The healing part is made of unblocking (movements and tapping), massage, purging (similar to 6 healing sounds, for release of negative energy), dredging (emotions), restoration, channeling and integration. There is also vowel singing, using different vowels, depending on which element you want to work on, and different melodies (calming, joyful, balancing). At least this is to the 6th level, there may be more later, but I don`t know yet. Hopefully, I`ll learn 7th level in October (and also get certified maybe).

For fighting sounds are used to increase the effect of strikes (usually to PP), also for blocking strikes, dispersing intent... The way you mention you use in aikido, to use kiai before the attack, is used at the emotional level here, if I remember right, to set up the opponent (you create a delay in reaction). It might shock him, but also opens (weakens) his energy channel, so you can follow up with your own attack.

Unfortunately I never practiced misogi breathing while training in ki aikido. Just talked about it and read about it in a book. The words used for chanting however were different, to ho ka mi e mi ta me (tohokami emitame). Do you know any good books or websites on misogi breathing and kotodama?

Kabbalistic sounds are very interesting, and I think powerful too, I just tried it a few times though. Forgot all about them, thanks for reminding me. Now I just have to get that book they were in back.

Craig, did you read Chia`s book Tan tien chi kung? He uses the hun sound for inhaling to the tan tien, and the hum sound for exhaling. They are reffered to as dragon and tiger breath. Some also use the hun sound for stealing energy from others.

Pero, I'm getting old, the chant we did at winter misogi was indeed 'to ho ka mi e mi ta me (tohokami emitame'. I think John Stevens had a book on the founders system of sacred sounds. On old tapes, Sensei Ueshiba had high pitched bird like kiais as I recall.

We did some healing work in Ki-Aikido, called Ki-atsu. I wish we did more. Balancing time and effort learning to fight with the techniques and mind set of healing probably makes for a more authentic person.

Michael

Craig, did you read Chia`s book Tan tien chi kung? He uses the hun sound for inhaling to the tan tien, and the hum sound for exhaling. They are reffered to as dragon and tiger breath. Some also use the hun sound for stealing energy from others.

Pero

I have not read Tan Tien chi kung. Kinda stopped buying Chia's books a few years ago.

Hard to tell from a book whether we are talking about the same thing. From a comment Michael Winn made about Dragon and Tiger sounds I got the impression that they were very forceful and "stressful" to use Winn's words.

The Hunnh sound I am referring to is applied in a few ways in Master Wu's practice. Basic Technique is to breath and fill up the chest and then exhale fairly rapidly while expanding out from the tan tien. Important to hold the perineum closed and to keep the lower belly firm (these are key points throughout practicing his style.)

After learning the more forceful style as described above it can also be applied much more softly almost like a sigh.

Some forms use this technique when bringing energy back down, much like the triple warmer sound/movement of Healing Tao, and then it is usually soft and drawn out.

Of note is the fact that I have observed both M.Chia and M.Winn maing pretty much the same sound during meditation practice/teaching. With them it seems more spontaneous rather than part of a form. A natural expression of energy movement or focus perhaps?

With Master Wu it is a conscious technique to focus energy in the TanTien. We use it at the beginning of every class when we do shaking. Shaking and making the Hunnh sound are ALWAYS the first thing we do in every class. When using it in shaking practice it becomes more spontaneous and ranges from the most forceful to the least during shaking practice. Shaking usually lasts from 15 to 30 minutes!!

Wu also teaches a Shamanic orbit Chikung. This form uses six sounds in succession along with movement to move energy through an orbit. Although from my experience I don't think the intention is on microcosmic orbit, but more broad core channel movement. I will be seeking his permission to post a very detailed description of this form as a couple of forum participants have been seeking this information. However without direct experience of the sounds it is primarily for intellectual exploration rather than a method of transmitting the form.

Craig

Edited by VCraigP

I've been doing some chanting for a while. Old Kabbalistic stuff. Some of it chanting vowels, Eeeeh, for top of head, Eehhhhh for throat, Aaaaahhh for heart and so on down to a groinular Uuuu.

I've found that om mani peme hung works me up~to~down nicely.

Pero, I'm getting old, the chant we did at winter misogi was indeed 'to ho ka mi e mi ta me (tohokami emitame'. I think John Stevens had a book on the founders system of sacred sounds. On old tapes, Sensei Ueshiba had high pitched bird like kiais as I recall.

We did some healing work in Ki-Aikido, called Ki-atsu. I wish we did more. Balancing time and effort learning to fight with the techniques and mind set of healing probably makes for a more authentic person.

Michael

Hehe, no problem, it happens to me sometimes, and I`m not old. :)

I checked up on John Stevens, and I think his Secrets of Aikido book could be very interesting. We did kiatsu as well, but not as much as I would want it. I think there`s a book about it by Koichi Tohei.

Pero

I have not read Tan Tien chi kung. Kinda stopped buying Chia's books a few years ago.

Hard to tell from a book whether we are talking about the same thing. From a comment Michael Winn made about Dragon and Tiger sounds I got the impression that they were very forceful and "stressful" to use Winn's words.

The Hunnh sound I am referring to is applied in a few ways in Master Wu's practice. Basic Technique is to breath and fill up the chest and then exhale fairly rapidly while expanding out from the tan tien. Important to hold the perineum closed and to keep the lower belly firm (these are key points throughout practicing his style.)

After learning the more forceful style as described above it can also be applied much more softly almost like a sigh.

Some forms use this technique when bringing energy back down, much like the triple warmer sound/movement of Healing Tao, and then it is usually soft and drawn out.

Of note is the fact that I have observed both M.Chia and M.Winn maing pretty much the same sound during meditation practice/teaching. With them it seems more spontaneous rather than part of a form. A natural expression of energy movement or focus perhaps?

With Master Wu it is a conscious technique to focus energy in the TanTien. We use it at the beginning of every class when we do shaking. Shaking and making the Hunnh sound are ALWAYS the first thing we do in every class. When using it in shaking practice it becomes more spontaneous and ranges from the most forceful to the least during shaking practice. Shaking usually lasts from 15 to 30 minutes!!

Wu also teaches a Shamanic orbit Chikung. This form uses six sounds in succession along with movement to move energy through an orbit. Although from my experience I don't think the intention is on microcosmic orbit, but more broad core channel movement. I will be seeking his permission to post a very detailed description of this form as a couple of forum participants have been seeking this information. However without direct experience of the sounds it is primarily for intellectual exploration rather than a method of transmitting the form.

Craig

I`m not sure if they are stressful, but I can see that Chia would appear to be doing it so. When I listen to him guiding some practice, I feel like he`s going to miss the train or something. Too hasty, it˙s quite annoying to me.

I`m interested in Shamanic orbit chikung as well. I`ll be glad to read about it, if your teacher allows it. Sounds can really be hard to learn by reading, since it`s hard to write the pronounciation.

Have you tried using different versions of this mantra? One other version I saw is om mani padme hum. If you tried, what difference did you see?

Have you tried using different versions of this mantra? One other version I saw is om mani padme hum. If you tried, what difference did you see?

You're correct in that it is usually spelled "om mani padme hum"; however, here is a quote from the link that I posted before:

The vowel in the sylable Hu (is pronounced as in the English word 'book'. The final consonant in that syllable is often pronounced 'ng' as in 'song' -- Om Mani Padme Hung. There is one further complication: The syllablePad is pronounced Pe (peh) by many Tibetans: Om Mani Peme Hung.
They also have a sound file at that site.

I've experimented with it some. I like the softer transition of "peme", and the "hung" resonates more directly with my lower centers.

Trunk

The Tibetans say do a hundred a day with good motivation, i.e wishing the best for everyone (e.g protection & liberation), and you won't take rebirth in the three lower realms.

The Tibetans say do a hundred a day with good motivation, i.e wishing the best for everyone (e.g protection & liberation), and you won't take rebirth in the three lower realms.

I've only been doing the mantra a little while, but I'm really happy with it. It seems to do kan & li (balance water and fire) automatically, and integrates sound with the process... and the sounds seem to tap into deep resonance with the centers. I haven't encountered any other mantra that's done all that - I was kind of surprised, like, "hey! that's doing kan & li" and very similar to what the more advanced Tibetan practices (Six Yogas of Naropa) are after as well. The sounds are very supportive of that process. :)

I'm looking for some MP3s I can download of some chanting...can anyone point me to some? Some tibetan stuff would be cool..

Thanks

T

Michael have you ever listened to Shulamit? Her website is here: http://www.kabbalahofprayer.com/products/kabbalah-cds.html

The instructions on her Beyond Words CD say that the sounds/vibrations have to be listened to by the body so headphones can't be used.

:)

Thanks for letting me know about it. Too bad the MP3 doesn't include Rinpoche doing the sounds. Like many systems it doesn't include II. :) Doesn't have Eee either, but hEEee is throat sound and creates a vulnerability that may not be warrior ish.

I'll put the book down on my wish list, or next time I'm getting something else from Sounds True.

Michael

Sign in to follow this