ejr1069

Spiritual diet has now been labeled as a new disease

I couldn't believe this when I read it. A new disease has been "created" by Dr. Steve Bratman. He calls it Orthorexia. It's basically my diet and a diet similar to most spiritual people I know. I'm guessing that it's the diet that many in this forum consume.

Check it out:

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/new-eating-disorders-are-they-real

Anything to sell more drugs I guess. Now that a new condition has been labeled, possibly the drug companies can develop a drug to sell to treat it.

• Like 2

That HAS to be a joke. So people who try to eat healthy have a disorder? LOL

Those affected may start by eliminating processed foods, anything with artificial colorings or flavorings as well as foods that have come into contact with pesticides. Beyond that, orthorexics may also shun caffeine, alcohol, sugar, salt, wheat and dairy foods.

It sounds like the big food corporations are starting to worry about people not wanting to buy their junk food any more.

• Like 2

That HAS to be a joke. So people who try to eat healthy have a disorder? LOL

It sounds like the big food corporations are starting to worry about people not wanting to buy their junk food any more.

Nah this is very real - It is not a disorder to make good choices - it is a disorder to be obsessively fixated on something - something that may or may not have any grounds in reality and causes a great deal of suffering to the person doing it - Treating food dogmatically and with rigid rules is very different from a healthy integrated lifestyle -

• Like 1

Oh it is again this illness :

Naming Symptoms group them an give them a name.

Saying "That is an illness"

Q

• Like 2

"The subject matter of a delusion is not its cause," as a brilliant Russian psychiatrist, Korsakov, noted way back in the 19th century. A personality prone to obsessive disorders will find what to obsess about. To link the problem specifically to the "subject matter of a delusion" is psychiatric stone age. In which we are, sadly, stuck as a society. Or rather, into which we have been railroaded.

Every ten years, more new diseases are added to the list, institutionalized, and "managed" (not cured, god forbid!) than were known to mankind in all of its prior history. The parties who benefit from this practice abound, but patients are not among them, alas.

• Like 1

What the doctor is calling an addiction I would simply call an insistance to eat foods that are healthful. Our country is poisoning itself with the unnatural diet we eat. This is clearly evidenced by the obesity, diabetes, cancer, and heart disease rates (conditions that can all be stopped and even reversed by eating a whole foods, plant based diet). For someone to insist that what they put in their body is natural, good for their health, or not linked to a degenerative disease is just smart.

Now, if their insistance on eating only these foods were to negatively impact health in some way, that's when I would label it a disease (for example, if they were stressing out over it or if they were not getting adeqaute nutrients).

PS...I am presently reading "The China Study" which was a massive research project on health and nutrition. The findings were quite eye opening and the research very interesting.

Yeah it's much better to have a healthy attitude and eat junk food LOL

Why is eating healthy labeled a Spiritual diet ?

Sounds like the good doctor is being funded by the FDA :)

Yeah it's much better to have a healthy attitude and eat junk food LOL

Why is eating healthy labeled a Spiritual diet ?

Sounds like the good doctor is being funded by the FDA :)

I labeled it a "spiritual diet", because most of the spiritual people I know are either vegan or vegetarian and avoid processed foods. Something about "raising your vibration".

This-

Anything to sell more drugs I guess. Now that a new condition has been labeled, possibly the drug companies can develop a drug to sell to treat it.

And This-

the Chinese study was not good research

http://www.beyondveg.com/billings-t/comp-anat/comp-anat-8e.shtml

Raw food advocates are now claiming their diet cures diabetes. No, when you lose weight, either from eating only veggies, or you reduce your calories, or you reduce your volume intake...diabetes ususally gets cured.

weight loss cures diabetes

Edited by ShaktiMama
  • Like 2