Marblehead

[TTC Study] Chapter 35 of the Tao Teh Ching

Seems almost contradictory to say people flock to one who holds to the Tao and yet while people stop for music and good food the Tao is bland and lacks flavour.

I guess that what it is saying is that the Tao is not about entertainment or stimulation. People will feel complete and at ease when they meet a Sage but on the other hand its not like stopping at a sweet shop window and looking at all the candy. In fact I suppose it is saying they are opposites of a kind.

Hello Apech,

I agree. I don't think chapter tells us that, ultimately, people are more drawn to the spiritual, things like peace, well-being, and safety, than they are to material goods. I think many would contradict this statement in modern times, but I feel it still applies.

Aaron

Actually, I like the way Henricks presented the chapter including the information from the Guodian strips:

Chapter 35 (C:2)

1. Grasp the Great Image and the whole world will come;

2. Come, and suffer no harm, for security and peace will be great.

3. Music and sweets -- for these travelers stop.

4. Consequently, when the Way utters words --

5. Bland and insipid! Their lack of flavor.

6. Look at it -- not enough to be seen;

7. Listen to it -- not enough to be heard,

8. Yet it cannot be exhausted.

The breaks between lines 2 & 3 and between 5 & 6 signifying separate thoughts, like one thought leads to another.

What I'm getting from this too is that the reason the words of the Dao seem bland is because they promote balance in all things. The nice little dainty pastries and other such diversions are just that: diversions.

The words of the Dao resonate within the heart, once they're heard, to those that are prepared to hear it. The resonance is common within us all, but not everyone is prepared. The words seem bland to one who is still looking for 'funny feelings, occult skills, and ego-bolstering activity'. When the Dao is followed, these skills may come; but they will only be tricks unless the inner journey and the deep resonances of the inner journey has been taken.

What I'm getting from this too is that the reason the words of the Dao seem bland is because they promote balance in all things. The nice little dainty pastries and other such diversions are just that: diversions.

Yeah, that is why it is said (No, I'm not going to look it up and quote it. Hehehe.) that the Sage does not dwell with the flower but returns to the root. Sure, the flower is beautiful, but it is at the roots where the plant gets everything it needs in order to produce the flower.

Yeah, that is why it is said (No, I'm not going to look it up and quote it. Hehehe.) that the Sage does not dwell with the flower but returns to the root. Sure, the flower is beautiful, but it is at the roots where the plant gets everything it needs in order to produce the flower.

Nice metaphor, fits exactly. I'm a word-picture kind of gal and when one really clicks, it just blows my skirt up.

didn't i post to this thread a few days ago?? i swear i did...am i losing my mind?? anyway, this has nothing to do with this chapter, really...i just thought i posted something here. it probably didn't contain anything of any value anyway, but still... :unsure:

didn't i post to this thread a few days ago?? i swear i did...am i losing my mind?? anyway, this has nothing to do with this chapter, really...i just thought i posted something here. it probably didn't contain anything of any value anyway, but still... :unsure:

Hehehe. Are you losing it Mr T?

I am sure I would have responded to you if you had posted to the thread.

But sure, go ahead and say something about the chapter. Always nice to see the involvement.

you know, i really must be. i remember posting a chapter translation and adding a comment about the last line...and the perspective of utilizing the tao...something like that. it's crazy, i can even remember typing it and everything. maybe i hit a wrong button or something.

anyway, i really found the last section of this chapter to be helpful. it changed my perspective when i learned about "using" the example of the tao and its creative energy. that certainly seems to be a somewhat controversial point of view at times.

Here's my translation of Chapter 35

Hold to the great way

and all under heaven will follow.

Though they come, they do no harm,

only contentment, serenity, and well-being follow.

Music and tasty food will cause a stranger to pause,

but the Dao is bland and leaves the mouth without flavor.

Look for it and there is little to see,

Listen to it and there is not much to hear,

But use it and little is consumed.

I think that last line is supposed to have a contrast to the previous two; whereas they lack, the last line is never lacking (never exhausted or used up).

Saying "little is consumed" seems to look at the negative side of being used up. The positive side seems to be the point: It cannot be used up.

I think that last line is supposed to have a contrast to the previous two; whereas they lack, the last line is never lacking (never exhausted or used up).

Saying "little is consumed" seems to look at the negative side of being used up. The positive side seems to be the point: It cannot be used up.

'Nuff said.