Everything

The way: sharing situations

This topic is an experiment.

Everyone here is allowed to create any situation with the "me" character and have something done to him/her by the environment or having him/her do something to the environment. We can call this the Situation.

Secondly we can all freely give replies to these given situations and call it our "Authentic Response". In this "Response" you describe a notable or remarkable thing about how you interact with the environment or your self in the given situation that you decided to reply upon. Notable things like thoughts, emotions that rise up, decisions made or a description of the senses. Give your own response to any situation you can pick from this topic, but keep an authentic self(without persona) in mind. A naked self as you will...

Lastly, you can decide if your authentic self, natural self or naked self is in alignment with your own personal interpretation of the way, or the Tao. Note your personal interpretation of the way in the moment: "My Tao".

I wish to keep as few rules as possible, allowing you to respond with any of these you want, seperate responses or tao's, combined with situations, just situations, in good order or wrong order... You make it up. Also: If no distinction can be made between My Tao and Authentic Response, you can still post the idea. So, lets give an example.

---Example---

Situation: Someone slaps your face, and calls you an A-Hole.

Authentic Response: Feeling sadness. Thoughts: "This person hates me." I cry and walk away.

My Tao: The action of this person has nothing to do with my personal status in contrast to the other person. I should set things straigth and beat the crap out of this person and send him directly to a nearby hostipal.

---End of example---

Example notes: Your personal interpretation of the way in any given moment does not have to be correct and is open for further discussion. The situation given in the example above is the first in this thread and is now open for replies.

Have fun everyone, enjoy the cultivation and don't take it too seriously! If you cannot perfectly translate your thoughts it is completely natural. Now, get wild with your situations! I'm looking forward towards responding to them. ^_^

Situation: Someone slaps your face, and calls you an A-Hole.

Authentic Response: Feeling sadness. Thoughts: "This person hates me." I cry and walk away.

My Tao: The action of this person has nothing to do with my personal status in contrast to the other person. I should set things straigth and beat the crap out of this person and send him directly to a nearby hostipal.

My Tao: saying: "stop slapping me". Hitting the other person would indirectly lead to me receiving more slaps.

I had an inceident the other day when I was at the bar mingling with people. One guy was getting out of hand and giving the bar owner a hard time. I back up the owner and explained to the hooligan that the bar owner was telling him to leave so he should just leave. Shortly after that two guys confront me at the same time like they are going to jump me. I try to be assertive and tell them I have no problem with them and ask why they are looking to jump me. The bigger guy that I had never seen in my life or even talked to says that I said I was going to punch him in the jaw. I was like wtf, I don't even know you or have I talked to you. I tell him I was just getting the owners back, I'm not looking for a problem but it appears that he is.

I tell them I was simply intervening and trying to keep the peace so that everyone can have a good time. Fortunately another guy I barely knew stook up for me before things got out of hand and went to violence. I am not one to start a fight, but I will defend myself.

This other kid was there, with his head always hanging down, he didn't speak a lick of english, although I was trying to communicate as well as a drunk guy could, and giving him someone to talk to as well as trying to better my own spanish. he called me over to sit down and talk, so I did, and the other guys dropped it.

By the end of the night the guys appologized to me and made peace which I was happy to accept the appology and make peace. They have a giant Oak door to the bathroom that I punched full force to relieve some of the aggression that I was feeling before that, and had a bruised knuckles the next day.

I don't go out very often, but I do sometimes, and it irks me that there are people who want to destroy the peace. I still don't know how that guy got it in his head that I was going to punch him in the jaw.

I guess it's a risk you take going to the bar, it wasn't the best turn-out, but better than it could have turned out. I drank far too much that night. I actually knew ahead of time that I was going to regret going to the bar, but went anyway.

Situation: confronted and threatened by two guys agressively

Authentic Response: Anger, anticipation and fear.

My Toa: Remain calm, and be as assertive as possible. Diffuse the situation even if requires showing humility.

Acting agressive to one who is being agressive will fuel the fire. Being passive will show weakness.

It would have been best to avoid the situation in it's entireity and have stayed out of it in the 1st place.

Did I do it right?

Edited by Dagon

There was once a time I would have welcomed the invitation to a bar room brawl. I would have punched him the 1st chance I got and jumped on the other guy. I now know that no-good would come of it, even in an altered state. I would only have resentment and regret regardless of the outcome.

Edited by Dagon

Okay, I'll bite. This is not a made-up situation. It is happening NOW.

My Situation: There is a leak in the basement, under where Joe's bathroom is. There is a big junction of copper pipes there. I called a handyman, he looked and looked at it, said he couldn't see a leak, and that the leak must be from some pressurized pipe UNDER Joe's shower enclosure.

I called a plumber, who can't come until Monday. Joe has no patience. He went at the shower enclosure with a crowbar. There are approximately 10 pieces of torn up fiberglass shower enclosure out in our back yard now. Joe, incidentally, is doing all this work after just having a back fusion a month ago, plus a punctured lung because he just had a biopsy on a cancerous spot.

Oh, under the shower enclosure? It's dry as a bone under there.

MY REAL RESPONSE: FUCK!!!!! You moron! Couldn't you just wait until Monday?? This is going to cost us a fortune now.

My TAO response: This is how Joe IS. This is the package I bargained for 27 years ago. How could I expect anything else? We actually had a belly laugh over it. Guess he'll be using my shower for a few days. It's only money....

• Like 3

My Situation: There is a leak in the basement, under where Joe's bathroom is. There is a big junction of copper pipes there. I called a handyman, he looked and looked at it, said he couldn't see a leak, and that the leak must be from some pressurized pipe UNDER Joe's shower enclosure.

I called a plumber, who can't come until Monday. Joe has no patience. He went at the shower enclosure with a crowbar. There are approximately 10 pieces of torn up fiberglass shower enclosure out in our back yard now. Joe, incidentally, is doing all this work after just having a back fusion a month ago, plus a punctured lung because he just had a biopsy on a cancerous spot.

MY REAL RESPONSE: FUCK!!!!! You moron! Couldn't you just wait until Monday?? This is going to cost us a fortune now.

My TAO response: This is how Joe IS. This is the package I bargained for 27 years ago. How could I expect anything else? We actually had a belly laugh over it. Guess he'll be using my shower for a few days. It's only money....

Hehehehe, I hope you get it fixed ok :) Atleast you have another shower!

Haha, I did not expect that response at all! Had to laugh so hard, because it was such a surprise. :lol:

Authentic response: Offer help and suggest we wait for monday.

My Tao: Sounds like an intellectual challenge, so I guess we can remain our clarity by noticing that others can do our job, but remaining flexible by offering help to those who are going to do the wrong thing anyway. But I think this is really a personal one, so your Tao is probable the one to go for really. ;)

Edited by Everything