Sign in to follow this  
fragrant herbs

Is it the Tao?

Do I ask for too much?

No. I think you are asking for just enough.

Of course, all that does not come easily in the 'real world'. We have to work for it.

I want teachers who don’t claim perfection

But work towards their own perfection

I want to understand the teachings

But not be bound by certain teachings

Living a moral and ethical life

Being kind towards others

And learning right speech

Here I simplified your OP, and I will isolate parts of the 46 to try make a clearer connection. I see it, but maybe language is too obtuse?

... Associated with effort of the will-- expansion, ascent.

... Made possible not by violence, but by modesty and adaptability.

Thus the superior man of devoted character

progresses upon small things

In order to achieve something high and great.

To use the implied metaphor, it's like a tree growing into the boundless sky; branches and leaves spreading toward the loving energy of the sun.

Edited by Nanashi

Here I simplified your OP, and I will isolate parts of the 46 to try make a clearer connection. I see it, but maybe language is too obtuse?

To use the implied metaphor, it's like a tree growing into the boundless sky; branches and leaves spreading toward the loving energy of the sun.

Thank you. I understood the tree growing into the boundless sky towards the energy of the sun.

This topic was moved because it violated the Tao Teh Ching posting guidelines. The Tao Teh Ching subforum requires that the post pertain to the texts listed in the subforum FAQ.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

Thank you. I understood the tree growing into the boundless sky towards the energy of the sun.

Wonderful, fragrant herbs! Nanashi's post explained that there is a good time to apply effort and see people and ask questions without fear. But don't forget that the tree's growth starts at the beginning: a seed in the earth, the place of acts. The time of the seed and sprout is not to be rushed.

Nanashi also made it clear that at the very beginning, what is most critical is exercise of the will. Earth symbolizes the center, which is the homeland of will, or intent. In this context, it is correct to understand earth as intent. It is not a matter of will as in will-power. Intent is more subtle.

Take your time.

Thank you so much for moving my post and for emailing me about it.

Thank you deci belle. I have tried to understand Taoism before, and it isn't easy, and so I have given up in the past. I ordered two of the most popular books and am waiting for them. I fear that they will be clear as much. But maybe that is okay because seeds sprout in mud.

Just wanted to say that it is so nice to see understanding resulting from discussion.

Y'all did great!

Sign in to follow this