Sign in to follow this  
kipster

cysts on breasts

My wife, Vicki, read that about half the women between 40 and 60 develop benign cysts in their breasts. She tends to get cysts in hers (she's 50). So far, they've been benign. I am wondering if anyone knows of some things one might do, herbs one might take, etc. to reduce or eliminate the occurence of these cysts. Vicki teaches full time, keeps active with yoga, dance, walking and the like, doesn't smoke or drink, and eats fairly well. Also, she is currently taking the omega 6 and omega 3 containing oils. Can anyone share some useful information with us? Thanks.

In Chinese medicine, you'd just want to treat for dampness...something to look into. Less dairy and less fried foods.

In Western herbalism, red root (ceanothus) tincture is really good for cysts.

I'm sure there's lots more, but that's a start.

My wife, Vicki, read that about half the women between 40 and 60 develop benign cysts in their breasts. She tends to get cysts in hers (she's 50). So far, they've been benign. I am wondering if anyone knows of some things one might do, herbs one might take, etc. to reduce or eliminate the occurence of these cysts. Vicki teaches full time, keeps active with yoga, dance, walking and the like, doesn't smoke or drink, and eats fairly well. Also, she is currently taking the omega 6 and omega 3 containing oils. Can anyone share some useful information with us? Thanks.

From what I hear Flaxseed oil and cottage cheese combo work to help cancer patients in 90 % cases, so this diet could be helpful as prevention as well.

Taken for granted that she does not replace alternative approaches for a thourough medical treatment, I know from experience with many women who I have talked to on retreats with breast cancer/cysts speak of the same issues related to blockages.

Most breast problems in women tend to be related to the heart, emotions, and environmental stress.

One thing that almost all the women I talked to said was that after receiving a treatment, and doing extensive qigong, they all noticed blockages in the wrist/lower arm. This area is directly related to the emotions, stress and tension residing around the heart. The other point where these tensions manifest is in the heart center between the shoulderblades, where blockages also affect the left arm and the heart. If this area is open, most breast problems tend to lessen or go away. My teacher emphasized this when giving them treatments for their problems.

One practice that may be directly effective is a standing postition where you start with the hands infront of the chest in a prayer mudra, and slowly open the arms to each side like opening a book. Then raise the arms to about 45 degrees on each side of the head (90 degrees between the arms), while keeping the arms straight, palms towards the sky, maintaining a standart qigong posture. Keep this position for as long as possible. Focus on opening from the inside out, and let the thension in the arms and the rest of the body melt as you maintain the position no matter what. Take it with a graceful attitude. This can be truly painful, but the payoff is immense. Ideally, you should hold this position for about 1 hour 15 min.

At one point the chi takes over, and the problems will "boil" away. After 1 hour, slowly take the arms down, shake and drink something hot.

The heart will be very happy.

h

One practice that may be directly effective is a standing postition where you start with the hands infront of the chest in a prayer mudra, and slowly open the arms to each side like opening a book. Then raise the arms to about 45 degrees on each side of the head (90 degrees between the arms), while keeping the arms straight, palms towards the sky, maintaining a standart qigong posture. Keep this position for as long as possible. Focus on opening from the inside out, and let the thension in the arms and the rest of the body melt as you maintain the position no matter what. Take it with a graceful attitude. This can be truly painful, but the payoff is immense. Ideally, you should hold this position for about 1 hour 15 min.

At one point the chi takes over, and the problems will "boil" away. After 1 hour, slowly take the arms down, shake and drink something hot.

Hey hagar, do you have pictures or a reference for this sequence? I'm having trouble visualizing it for some reason. Maybe it's late.

I remember that Winn some years ago talked about constricted lymph flow caused by bras...

he also mentioned that one of the reasons qigong or tai chi seem to help in cancer so much

is in parts because the slow circular movements help the lymph system tremendously.

here's one website: bras breast problems

There are several ways to look at what the problem of cysts represents. From the biochemical point of view, it usually involves an imbalance of estrogen and progesterone. Most women are estrogen dominant, so that even when estrogen becomes lower closer to menopause, the balance can still be off, especially as the body is going through a lot of complex readjustments.

Some things that can help are small amounts of progesterone cream, and various herbal formulas like the Chinese patent formula Women's Treasure and many similar formulas that nourish the yin and promote hormonal balance.

Fats and oils are good for this, especially omega-3's (cod liver oil), evening primrose oil, also Magnesium can be helpful.

But to go deeper to the meaning of the problem, it may be the basic menopausal challenge of transforming the life force from its focus on procreative expression to its spiritual expression. The energy that went into child bearing and raising a family has to now be channeled in a different direction, into a sort of rebirth of spirit.

Even for women who don't have children, they express that energy in other creative forms, but the phenomenon is the same, and they face the same challenge approaching menopause. The transformation that takes place around menopause assures that the woman matures instead of just aging. It's about finding this new level of balance higher up, but without losing grounding in the earthy forces. When the energy is being redirected in this way, the woman finds new ways to be involved with all sorts of creative endeavors and also in a higher level of inner spiritual development.

When there's some blockage of that process, you see physiological processes that represent crystallization in various forms - cysts, fibroids, etc. So in addition to the biochemical fixes, there's this deeper level of meaning to address. And then the biochemistry will fall into place naturally with just some basic support, but not a lot of force will need to be applied on that level to move the biochemistry to a new level of balance.

So in practical terms, women entering menopausal years need to find what their own spiritual development requires and how to refocus their energy and activities in that direction. Find ways to open the channels and release any body armoring (this happens down to the cellular level, not just in the muscles). Look at where the creative energy wants to flow and where it's being blocked, find ways to nurture the new self that's opening up.

Younger women can keep it in mind for a bit later :), but releasing the armoring and dealing with the fear that comes up around that is an ongoing challenge.

-Karen

I remember that Winn some years ago talked about constricted lymph flow caused by bras...

he also mentioned that one of the reasons qigong or tai chi seem to help in cancer so much

is in parts because the slow circular movements help the lymph system tremendously.

here's one website: bras breast problems

Also there's some info on this in Donna Eden's book, which just traces the meridian, under the breast. She's not anti-bra I don't think but is very anti underwire.

Also there's some info on this in Donna Eden's book, which just traces the meridian, under the breast. She's not anti-bra I don't think but is very anti underwire.

Yup - also she has great massage techniques to get the lymph flowing...although i dont have breasts... I still do the lymph massage every now and then, and amongst other benefits it seems to really help my flexibility! Oh and the chi roller massages all the neurolymphatic points on the back... and i do that every evening before sleep.

Vicki and I thank all of you who have offered help through the discussion. We have read each reply and they will influence our action. Thanks again, to be on the receiving end of such generosity is in itself healing.

I was going to just P(rivate) M(essage) it, but I'm very impressed with Karens answer. I admire people who can see alternative medicine and mainstream as complimentary and give good advice in both.

Glad to have you on this site, Thanks for your insights :)

Michael

Sign in to follow this