mantis

Taiwan or China?

How many places like the following ones exist in Taiwan today?

Buddhism:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRynNDlOJM0&p=5D72A169E0C49821

The whole movie can be watched on YT.

Daoism:

This is serious spiritual practice.

bodyoflight,

A real teacher will show you the path to master yourself. Watch this:

:)

LOL.. I wonder if there are similar places in taiwan without the corruption and pollution found in Mainland China.. I wonder indeed.. LOL

It is a real shame the majority of tao bum forummers lack the ability to read and listen in chinese.. their search would be much easier then..

Are you 'serious' or jesting for the sake of jesting?

Are you 'serious' or jesting for the sake of jesting?

google earth it

ame='Somamech' date='21 April 2011 - 05:06 AM' timestamp='1303333614' post='255363']

google earth it

Heya Bodyoflight ;)

Taiwan is a sublime place my friend... ;)

Do you know who this Bonafide practioner is? (I'm well versed in Mordeth13..the media had him up for crucifixion when I was over there)

I love Formosa or otherwise known as Treasure Island amongst me Taiwanese Mateys ;)

No question that mainland China is rife with government sponsored "Taoist" masters and Wudang experts that are trying to revitalize the beautiful arts that were decimated by the cultural revolution. Most of these are corrupted versions, heavily influenced by the new Wu Shu and watered down methods. Some remnants of the real masters no doubt have survived but are unlikely to be terribly accessible without serious direct referrals and personal connections. Taiwan was a haven for many who fled the purging but I would bet you will still need some well connected help to gain contact with the real deal.

On the other hand, wherever you are, you will run into the teacher you need if the the universe is ready to accommodate you.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

Hey,

A few of you may recognize my screen name although I haven't been active on here for some time. I am finally financially stable enough to travel and have enough "free" income to invest in spiritual pursuits and trips of the sorts and am very excited at the possibilities.

Just as I was thinking of all of this, however, it hit me; could Taiwan be a better place to visit to truly learn Taoism instead of China? If I understand correctly more than a few masters fled to Taiwan after Mao took over. I really have no idea if my thoughts have any basis as I have never seen Taiwan even mentioned on this forum.

There is always Wang Liping, however, teaching in China which is very tempting... any input?

Thanks

(Shameless promotion, Yaayyy!!!)

If you go to China then you should check out Nan Hua Chin's Wujiang Taihu Great Learning Center(or Taihu International School.) In his youth he traveled around China learning from different Taoist masters. He is considered a master in the Tao school.

http://www.anesl.com/schools/new/wtis.asp

• Like 1

These so called "ancient Taoist practices" of Mantak Chia, were a result of the fang-shih Taoists and the alchemical sects that came later.

Where do Lao Tzu, Chuang Tzu, Lieh Tzu etc., talk of spinning micro/macro cosmic orbits? This is a practice that came about when later generations tried to copy the accounts of masters experiences (in meditation) of the chi and mai that naturally develop when you cultivate stillness of the mind (aka samadhi.)

knocking chia now because he is good?

btw many taoist masters knock chia because he is revealing secrets to the world which the taoist masters want the masses to pay millions of dollars for..

chia is doing the world a great service but i guess those who do the world a great service invariably get called down by the rest of society..

just look at Jesus..

To bodyoflight:

From Tao&Longevity: Mind-Body Transformation by Nan Huai Chin:
"From the Chin and Han dynasties to the Wei and Chin dynasties visualization constitute the main practices of Taoism. Ancient Taoist sutras such as the Huang T'ing Nei Wai Chin Ching use visualization and imagings as their main principle. Chang Tao Ling in the Han dynasty, the creator of Tien Shu Tao Kou Ch'ien Chu (another important figure of Tien Shu Tao) in the North Wei dynasty, and the famous Taoist Tau Hong Ching in the South dynasties, use visualization and imagings as their principal methods. Others, such as esoteric Buddhists, employ visualization as a principle of their teaching. Further, conceptualizations and imagings regarding the existence and nature of gods or God are used in the prayers and rituals of many religions."

"Trancendental thinking* is also mentioned in ancient Taoism. Trancendental thinking and visualization are quite different. Visualization is a method of cultivating the spirit or attitude. Transcendental thinking is a method of cultivating wisdom."

"Visualization and transcendental thinking methods involve neither the transmutation of chi method that prevailed in the Chin, South, and North dynasties, nor the concentration on the cavity (such as concentration on Tan Tien) cultivation method that prevailed during the Ming and Ch'ing dynasties. They do not involve the Taoist cultivation method of the transmutation of ching into chi, transmutation of chi into shen, and transmutation of shen into Void. Each of these Taoist methods has its own pattern and function. It is unfortunate that those who learn Taoism have confused the different traditions. Some students thought that all they had to do was find a good master who would teach them a different a hidden secret, and they could become an immortal instantly. They therefore ignored the study of the principles of the Taoist methods. Taoist methods were not organized into a science of immortality with principles, rules, systematic sequences, and methods. As a consequence , these practices lend to calamity rather than to the achievement of immortality."

*He compares this method to the hua-tou/koan method of the Zen school.

Edited by Simple_Jack