Sign in to follow this  
sifusufi

Qi Power Talent or a result of repetitive practice

Practice (repetition) is the key, imho. Heart and spirit I think are important, because without dedication and passion I don't think the repetitions really sink into your being quite as effectively - not to mention the difficulty of motivating yourself to practice enough.

But it really does boil down to time + effort = talent. At least in my opinion.

• Like 3

Practice (repetition) is the key, imho. Heart and spirit I think are important, because without dedication and passion I don't think the repetitions really sink into your being quite as effectively - not to mention the difficulty of motivating yourself to practice enough.

But it really does boil down to time + effort = talent. At least in my opinion.

This. It takes certain mentalities for certain jobs to be able to do that job for hours, or even days on end.

• Like 2

Talent is nothing by itself. There are millions of Talented people who never put in the time. They get far surpassed by the people who practice practice practice.

But someone who is talented and puts in the time... A force to behold :)

• Like 10

I had asked a neurosurgeon once what makes a Michael Jordan, Bruce Lee, Tiger Woods...

he replied "repetition"

I believe there has to be more to it. (Genes, spirit, heart)

How bout' you?

Practice builds Spirit and Heart and develops your genetic disposition to it's potential.

• Like 1

In terms of ability to manipulate qi, nothing substitutes for practicing a method that raises the energy body vibration in an efficient manner. Daily, consistent practice. However, the natural talent thing will be the impetus to the qi manipulation. In other words, it depends on if this is one of a person's natural talents as to the totality of the qi manipulation. If it is a natural talent, the manipulation will always be stronger than if it isn't. Most anyone can learn, through time&effort practice and proper training, to be a qigong doctor and get consistent & positive results. But if it is a natural talent the results can be quicker, more pronounced and almost unbelievable. This is one of the basic differences between a qigong doctor and a qigong master; lots of good qigong doctors around - very few actual masters.

The practice of qigong in itself (assuming it is an efficient method that actually raises the energy body vibration) will help manifest whatever a person's natural talents are whether that is "SEEING", energy manipulation, "HEARING" or other natural talents.

• Like 2

In terms of ability to manipulate qi, nothing substitutes for practicing a method that raises the energy body vibration in an efficient manner. Daily, consistent practice. However, the natural talent thing will be the impetus to the qi manipulation. In other words, it depends on if this is one of a person's natural talents as to the totality of the qi manipulation. If it is a natural talent, the manipulation will always be stronger than if it isn't. Most anyone can learn, through time&effort practice and proper training, to be a qigong doctor and get consistent & positive results. But if it is a natural talent the results can be quicker, more pronounced and almost unbelievable. This is one of the basic differences between a qigong doctor and a qigong master; lots of good qigong doctors around - very few actual masters.

The practice of qigong in itself (assuming it is an efficient method that actually raises the energy body vibration) will help manifest whatever a person's natural talents are whether that is "SEEING", energy manipulation, "HEARING" or other natural talents.

I like what you said in your book is that healers must practice their qigong 3 hours a day. I find that to be true for myself.

practice trains the neural pathways in the brain. Grows new connections. Also imagining perfect practice is what the superior atheletes do for mind training as well as doing their physical training.

And all the good ones know how to relax because energy does NOT flow well through tension whether physical or emotional or mental.

susan

I had asked a neurosurgeon once what makes a Michael Jordan, Bruce Lee, Tiger Woods...

he replied "repetition"

How bout' you?

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

:o

I love to watch Parkour videos. It amazes me what the body is capable of.

s

A mix of both. In what ratio? I dunno.

You can have a natural talent or a predisposition toward something, and be good at it without trying too terribly hard. You'll be better than a lot of people right off the bat.

At the same time, repetition is important too.

What makes people like Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods?

Well look at their situation from childhood to adulthood- they love what they do and spend all their free time doing it. What does this mean?

A combination of interest, a predisposition for the thing, and the willingness to put in countless hours towards a thing.

I've been thinking a lot recently about this topic, not just how to get good at something, but to be REALLY good. What makes someone a genius at something? I know kids who were PHENOMENAL artists when they were in elementary school, and just got better and better exponentially all through middle and high school, as well as through college.

It's not just that they did it a lot, but they ENJOYED doing it, which is part of what fueled them through long hours of practice. And they had a natural knack for it, a talent and predisposition which kept drawing them back into their practice routine, even if they got frustrated and quit for a while.

You ever been in a situation in which you're working on something and you say, "okay, I'm going to take a dinner break in 5 minutes", and then three hours later you realized you never took that break? THAT'S what I'm talking about. THAT is the kind of practice and drive that I think makes someone REALLY great over time.

And unfortunately, that not only means tons of practice, and not only wanting to do the practice, but ENJOYING the practice, being drawn to it, and that usually means having a bit of a knack for something, because it's in doing that something that you feel most natural, because it's a part of you.

That's not to say that you can't be really really good at something because you set your mind to it even if you have to bite and scrape your way through. Because you can. But part of the effortlessness that I've found in people who I would consider to be abnormally good at something (that I've had the privilege of meeting) comes from an innate talent and natural interest in a thing.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang
  • Like 2

Insight. Insight of your abilities, potentials, and practices. Repetition will follow insight, if insight tells that it is necessary. Repetition without insight is a trap that many fall into, if you repeat the wrong things, you only become proficient at developing bad habits that hold you back.

he replied "repetition"

How bout' you?

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

:o

I think Seth Ananda nailed it correctly.

About the video..Extremely impressive, top fraction of 1% to be sure, but I don't think the kid could do it so dramatically (if at all) on a regular gym floor. Looks to me like he was helped by several small trampolines under the long mat.

I don't mean to denigrate it, but in the internet/youtube age, its good to understand (and be a little skeptical about) exactly what you're seeing.

Is it Human? Yes, highly trained human and trampoline.

Edited by thelerner

I remember having skills at 16 that were indeed sharp, (I put in the time) however at 46 the focus, desire, & motivation has waned somewhat. (lazy)

Something comes along once and a while to "light a fire under my ass" so to speak.

Keeping that fire burning is the trick.

"Genius is the fire that lights itself" - Neil Peart (on Buddy Rich)

• Like 1

I've been thinking a lot recently about this topic, not just how to get good at something, but to be REALLY good. What makes someone a genius at something? I know kids who were PHENOMENAL artists when they were in elementary school, and just got better and better exponentially all through middle and high school, as well as through college.

It's not just that they did it a lot, but they ENJOYED doing it, which is part of what fueled them through long hours of practice. And they had a natural knack for it, a talent and predisposition which kept drawing them back into their practice routine, even if they got frustrated and quit for a while.

You ever been in a situation in which you're working on something and you say, "okay, I'm going to take a dinner break in 5 minutes", and then three hours later you realized you never took that break? THAT'S what I'm talking about. THAT is the kind of practice and drive that I think makes someone REALLY great over time.

And unfortunately, that not only means tons of practice, and not only wanting to do the practice, but ENJOYING the practice, being drawn to it, and that usually means having a bit of a knack for something, because it's in doing that something that you feel most natural, because it's a part of you.

That's not to say that you can't be really really good at something because you set your mind to it even if you have to bite and scrape your way through. Because you can. But part of the effortlessness that I've found in people who I would consider to be abnormally good at something (that I've had the privilege of meeting) comes from an innate talent and natural interest in a thing.

Absolutely! The shortest path is to fall in love with the activity. Because then it's not just repetition, it's fun. It's not just practice, it's GOOD practice.

• Like 1

Thinking on it some more, the thing that happens when you love something/have an aptitude with it, is that practice isn't just "practice", but it is also "play". That gives you the freedom to explore, try new things, and get some insight into aspects that someone else, who's just trying to memorize through mere repetition, isn't going to get, which lets them get the insight that aridus mentioned:

Insight. Insight of your abilities, potentials, and practices. Repetition will follow insight, if insight tells that it is necessary. Repetition without insight is a trap that many fall into, if you repeat the wrong things, you only become proficient at developing bad habits that hold you back.

And it also increases the quality of practice, which Otis mentions.

Absolutely! The shortest path is to fall in love with the activity. Because then it's not just repetition, it's fun. It's not just practice, it's GOOD practice.

But again, it's not to say that one much have a natural aptitude or talent in order to be successful. I'm just trying to find the quality that people who I would consider "geniuses" to have, what makes them succeed and come out on top even if someone else has put in the same hours of practice and study.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this